Pantheon Build Guide by RuskiPop
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Quick introduction - this is first LoL guide i have ever written. I'm not the best player, i am still in silver league, my english is bad, but i was pretty succesful when playing some characters including Pantheon (i have won some ranked games as him) - so i decided to share my builds and tips. Everything written here is based on my own experience not on what people say. Some of you may laugh at my guide, call me noob or whatever, but also maybe some of you will consider it helpful.
BTW. Thanks to JhoiJhoi! Her epic guide can be found here!
Pantheon is an AD caster and one of best solo-topers. He is pretty viable on mid too, but more tips on how to play him on mid lane are about to come - right now this guide is just about solo top. He isn't very hard to play, but that still doesn't mean you will not have to think when playing him.
My build is a bit offtanky build, but i included some tips how to adapt it to your playstyle.
Pros / Cons
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
5x Greater Mark of Attack Damage - this is prety obvious - AD runes for an AD champion, but i pick only five, because some armor penetration is useful too
4x greater mark of armor penetration - gives armor penetration, combines nicely with AD runes
9x Greater Seal of Armor - damage reduction is essential - flat bonus can help you in early and a little bit in late game
9x Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - same here, but this time it's magic damage reduction. I prefer per-level bonus here because your enemies will not have a lot of magic penetration early game, and usually you will have an AD opponent on your lane, so flat magic resist is useless here. If someone is curious, per level MR runes beat flat ones when you reach lvl 9.
3x Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage - Pantheon just needs AD
Boots + Pots
First start out with Boots of Speed + 2x Health Potion + Mana Potion. It provides you mobility and sustain and also allows you to harass your enemy longer.
Damage + Pots
Choose it if you are going to play agressive. Also, if you decided to buy these items, i recommend you to rush The Brutalizer even before you will buy the Boots of Speed.
In case you will have an opponent that can keep his lane pretty long like Garen, and you expect him to hug the turret, you may buy these items for mana regeneration, what will allow you to spam your skills. If you decide to do so - rush Tear of the Goddess just after The Brutalizer, and remember to buy Manamune later.
Very good early game item for AD caster such as Pantheon. AD, CDR and Armpen it provides will usually allow you to take advantage over your lane opponent.
Tier 2 Boots
Ionian Boots of Lucidity are best choice in my opinion, Pantheon needs a lot of CDR, but if you want to go defensive, buy Mercury's Treads or Ninja Tabi.
The Black Cleaver
You must get this because of both flat and % armor reduction it provides. You will be unstoppable after getting this.
This one is very popular item. It has second higher HP bonus in game - 700 ( Warmog's Armor gives 1000), a bit of AD (30), and the most importantly - a slow.
Mid-Late Game Items
Infinity Edge provides additional critical damage, and will be good combination with your Heartseeker Strike. When someone will be below 15% hp, in most cases you should instantly kill him. Also the 70 damage bonus is pretty nice.
The Bloodthirster can give the second highest damage bonus in game - 100, when fully stacked (only Sword of the Occult gives more - 110), and highest lifesteal bonus - 18%. That's why it is essentional for all offensive AD champions.
If your enemies buy even more armor and The Black Cleaver is not enough - get this item.
Maw of Malmortius
Buy this as final item if enemy team has champions with finishing skills that deal magic damage like Karthus or Lux.
It gives a bit of health, a bit of damage, a bit of lifesteal and a lot of cooldown reduction. It is good item for Pantheon, but in my opinion there are better items.
If you will get focused in teamfights you can buy this so you will either damage entire enemy team or they will stop focusing you.
Manamune -> Muramana
Buy it only if you got Tear of the Goddess. It will solve your mana problems. Also Muramana's active will increase your damage a bit, since it works with Spear Shot and Aegis of Zeonia.
This gives Pantheon advantage in 1vs1 fights, especially when he has a lot of CDR. Also allows you to go past the enemy turret.
This will be your main harassment tool. It can deal nice damage to single target, and enemies cannot escape from it like from Heartseeker Strike, so i decided to max it first. but if you are facing an opponent like Akali - you cannot hit her with single target spells when she is invisible, max Heartseeker Strike first.
This skill is Pantheon's only crowd control besides his ultimate and his only hard crowd control. But because it does small damage that doesn't scale with AD and stun duration doesn't go up with skill level, i decided to max it last.
Another damage dealer, this time AoE, and also provides nice passive. Because it is harder to use than Spear Shot and has longer cooldown, i decided to max it second.
Very useful skill that allows you to gank quickly and assassinate the target. If you will aim properly, you can deal even 1000 damage at 16 lvl and slow your opponent by 35% for a short while, what gives you clear advantage and makes your enemy defenceless 1vs1. You can also turn teamfights upside down with it by aiming at enemy carry. Of course it is ultimate skill so upgrade it when possibile (6, 11 and 16 levels).
This combo should be used if you decide to fight 1vs1 with your lane opponent. You simply use your Heartseeker Strike to apply The Black Cleaver effect and deal some damage, then use Spear Shot for even more dmg. You should have Aegis Protection up, so wait for your opponent's attack, and then use Aegis of Zeonia to stun and refresh your passive. After this, just repeat the combo, and you should win the trade this way.
This is what you will do when you see alone target on your minimap, or when you want to enter teamfights. Grand Skyfall lets you to initiate by dealing tons of damage and slowing the target down. Then you should use Aegis of Zeonia to ensure the target will not escape by stunning it and dealing a bit of damage, than use Heartseeker Strike - enemy is stunned so he/she will not escape it, and then follow with Spear Shot. Depending on your target's current health, armor, magic resist and escape mechanism, it can either be dead or just sent back to base or past it's team turret. If the target isn't dead yet, you can chase it with autoattacks ( Frozen Mallet will provide the slow effect), and repeat the combo but without Grand Skyfall.
These summoner spells are the best for Pantheon.
One of the most used summoner spells. Deals true damage over time and decreases healing. It is useful when your enemy has low hp - you can ensure he will die. Can be used against Tryndamere's Undying Rage to kill him after his ultimate ends, or against Dr. Mundo's Sadism. You can take it instead of Teleport - you will lose possibility to return to your lane but in some cases you can get advantage with it.
This spell is the best summoner spell. Allows you to chase, escape and go over terrain - it is always useful, and because Pantheon has weak escape mechanism, this spell is essential.
When you go solo top, sometimes you can get zoned. And then you want to get some items - this allows you to leave your lane and quickly come back. Also it allows you to do quick ganks with Grand Skyfall to the target and after killing it, Teleport back to your lane. Other usage of it is backdooring - Pantheon can Teleport to pushed lane or ward and quickly destroy the turret with help of minions or even dive it - with Aegis Protection it will be easier. There are a lot of usages of Teleport for Pantheon, you just must be creative.
Decent Summoner Spells
These summoner spells are not the best, but sometimes can work for Pantheon
You can take this spell instead of Flash to pervent deaths on your lane, but if you will get ganked, you still may be unable to survive because of no escape spells. And if taken instead of Teleport, may make you unable to quickly return in case of ganks or recalls.
If you decide to go more offensive, and you think you will be enemy team's main focus - you can get this spell to survive longer, but still you have to time it well and it is not as useful as Teleport or Ignite (you are an assassin after all).
Ghost can be better than Flash when running away from a heavy gank on your lane, but if you are running away by jungle, you will lose ability to go through terrain. That's why i prefer Flash in most cases.
When to pick, and why?
When to pick Pantheon?
- You need a counterpick vs:
- Garen - if you are skilled enough with Pantheon, you can beat Garen early game, just try to block Decisive Strike. Manamune may be good item vs him to pervent him outsustaining you.
- Irelia - if she is under 9 lvl, you will easily outdamage her - use it to gain advantage by playing agressive and getting as much kills and gold as you can before she will max out her Hiten Style, so you still will be able to beat her late game. You should buy health against her, because neither armor or magic resist will help you vs true damage.
- Darius - Noxian Guillotine is very dependant on Hemorrhage stacks. Your Aegis Protection can block Darius' Crippling Strike and his autoattacks, so he will not get 6 stacks on time - you will be able to do serious damage to him before he will get it. When that moment will come - retreat and wait until Hemorrhage ends, drink a Health Potion if you have one, and then go trade vs him again - you should finally kill him.
- Teemo - he should not have a lot of attack speed early game, so you can easily block most of his Toxic Shots. You are an AD caster so his Blinding Dart will be less useful against you. Also, in late game his squishiness will work against him. In case he will run away from you to brush and go stealth - just kill him with Heartseeker Strike.
- Talon - Pantheon is the best counter versus him. Talon's cooldowns are longer, you can poke him with Spear Shot and he won't be able to respond. You can also trade with him any time, you will outdamage him. Your Aegis Protection should be up almost always, so if he decides to fight you, he will only do as much damage as his Rake does. His Noxian Diplomacy will be parried by passive. Another thing is Talon's low attack speed. When he is on cooldowns, he may try autoattacks, but then again - you may instantly refresh your passive by stunning him with Aegis of Zeonia just as the silence ends. Actually - you will just destroy him, i don't think it needs more explaination. Just be careful and don't get yourself ganked.
- Gangplank - This will be one of easiest encounters in your life. Gangplank's only harassment is his Parrrley. But since it applies auto-attack effects, that means your Aegis Protection will block it. He won't be able to do any damage to you, while you can just smash him with your skill combo.
- Kassadin - I know, NOT a solo top champion. But still if you go vs him, you will screw him. Before 6 lvl it will be freaking easy. After 6 lvl he may get little annoying. Remember to ALWAYS call missing, ping million times so the other lanes go back. You don't want to get Darth Vader fed. In lane remember to buy mana regeneration ( Manamune), so you can spam skills forever. If you don't have defensive runes or somehow he can beat you, rush Hexdrinker. Don't Heartseeker Strike if you know that he can silence you and break it. If you have problems with that, max spearshot.
- Enemy has:
- Elise - she will just harass you to the death with Volatile Spiderling / Skittering Frenzy and you will not be able to do anything with it. Then if she will get her Cocoon / Rappel on you, you will be probably dead. Also it's pretty hard to gank her because of her ranged stun and mobility, so your jungler should babysit your lane and keep ganking everytime he can, to atleast take her hp down and force her to waste her mana.
- Yorick - you will just not simply win a lane against him. Yorick's sustain is much better than Pantheon's. But if you will have to play Pantheon vs Yorick, you should try to beat him at 1-3 levels. He is weak without all of his skills, you might have a chance to beat him if you will have one more skill than him. Also if he will decide not to buy mana regeneration, he should fade down. Just save your mana and let him push. Then ask a jungler for a gank, if you saved your mana, the combined cc of you and jungler should pervent Yorick from running away. He will not have chances to escape without his mana.
- Riven - you will be able to outdamage her early levels, but since lvl 6, it will be the other way round. She will block your Spear Shot with Valor, then just use Broken Wings to harass you, Ki Burst to stun and then run away to safety. Also in skirmish she will outdamage you - she can break your Heartseeker Strike with her hard cc, and she, unlike you, has an ultimate that is usable in melee fight. Her other advantage over you is the fact that she has no mana. After she will get one kill - it's over already. When laning vs Riven as Pantheon, you should try to level up faster than her, then just spam your skills on her everytime you will be able to. If your jungler is able to gank early like Jarvan IV, Lee Sin or Shaco, you should ask him for insta-gank. You have to take Riven down at the beginning, outfarm her and don't let her get any kills. NEVER dive her because you will die.