Vayne Build Guide by xYazuki
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Introduction about myself ;)
My IGN is: Magwerste on EU&NE
Hi i'm a 1850~ Elo player im currently working my way up the ladder.
I started Adc when my friends and I started a ranked team and i thought it fit me very well since I thought I had a good mechanical level, I love Vayne she is my favourite since her kit is perfect for kiting and making plays and so on :).
I believe I can reach higher than 1850~ Elo at one point.
Just to say I am NOT experienced at all with making guides ;) I've tried the best I could do, with the coding and picture thingies :D The guide is still in progress so bare with me.
I would love if you guys gave constructive feedback, rep and votes. Hope you enjoy. :D
Pros / Cons
+ One of the best duelist in the game
+ One of the hardest AD carries in the game
+ Constant repositioning with Tumble
+ Has a hard CC ability (knockback/stun) with Condemn
+ Final Hour gives free bonus AD / MS / stealth with Tumble
+ Good chaser
+ Can avoid skill-shots easily
+ Stealth with Tumble
+ Great against high-health champions
+ True damage with Silver Bolts
+ Unstoppable late game carry
- Weak against close range casters (such as Ryze )
- Has a tricky laning phase
- Extremely hard to play perfectly and hard to master
- Relatively short range
- Completely disabled by CC
- Weak early game
- Unreliable stun
- Always focused in team fights
9x Greater Mark of Attack Damage
9x Greater Seal of Armor
9x Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
1x Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
2x Greater Quintessence of Life Steal
There are no other options for Marks other than Greater Mark of Attack Damage. These will help you do more damage on your auto attacks, as more damage on your tumble and your condemn abilities. Not only that, it'll also help you last hit easier! :3
As an AD carry that's most likely going bottom lane against another AD carry, you'll definitely need some armor to duel/trade against the enemy bot lane. Without these, you'll be taking massive damage whenever you try to trade, and you will end up getting bullied out of lane. Take Greater Seal of Armor!
Personally, I like running Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist. But in some match-ups you might have to go flat mr instead for example Corki, whom does massive amouts of ap dmg. Also there is another downside to having scaling mr and that is, that some supports have a high burst of ap.
1x AD quint, 2x Life steal Quints. This is mainly because I want to get +11 AD from runes in combination with marks, so that you can last hit under tower without your support's help. And lifesteal quints are just extremely strong because it will help you sustain yourself in lane for as long as you need to, and it also scales extremely well with the AD items you will be buying. For a duelist champion like Vayne, having a lot of lifesteal is extremely strong!
- By far the most popular build to go on Vayne right now. This is because this item gives.. well, everything! Vayne scales extremely well with attack speed because she deals true damage every 3 auto attacks. Not only that - but this item also gives a pinch of AD, and a passive that deals current HP % damage on every attack - which makes this an excellent mid game item. But that's not all.. you also get the active, that makes you a GOD at dueling 1v1 situations, which means your target should not be able to run away from you with the active. And of course, you can use it as an escape tool as well. This item gives you a LOT of options!
- People forget how good The Bloodthirster was on vayne. This item gives 100 AD (at full stacks), as well as 18% lifesteal - which makes it the absolute best item for dueling and sustaining. You will also need to change your skill order to maxing Tumble first because AD scaling on your tumble is really good. I go BT first occasionally when I feel like I don't need the active from botrk.
- This is honestly personal preference. Statikk Shiv will provide you with extra wave clearing capabilities, where as phantom dancer will give you a higher single target DPS. It's also worth mentioning that Statikk Shiv is slightly cheaper, and sometimes if I only have money for a Shiv then I'll just get the Shiv so I can finish off the rest of my items a little bit
- This will round out your build. This item gives you AD and crit, Not only that, but your crits will deal additional damage. Along with the PD/Shiv that you already have, this item will give you a HUGE boost in damage output. I don't like rushing this item however, because Vayne needs to get the PD/Shiv ASAP to proc your silver bolts faster - and going infinity edge + vamp scepter is a LOT more expensive than just going for a BT or a Bork.
- Against a heavy CC enemy team, you definitely want a Quicksilver Sash / Mercurial Scimitar to help you free yourself from all the cc. Of course, this should be an automatic buy against supress champions, as well as champions that you can QSS out of (ex. Fizz ult, Morgana ult, Vladimir ult, Zed ult). It's also the only defensive item that also gives you a ton of AD when you upgrade it to a scimitar.
- If you're going against a lot of unavoidable damage/cc such as Karthus ult / Nautilus ult , or against heavy catch/poke such as Blitzcrank/ Thresh then I recommend going Banshee's Veil. This item is pretty neat with the spell shield, and you should be nearly impossible to catch.
- This is a rare buy, but if I feel like all I need to do is kite the enemy team for the victory, then I do go this path. A great example is a Singed - with a Frozen Mallet, Singed should never be able to get to you.
- I take this against an extremely heavy AD assassin/bruiser enemy team - for example, if I'm against Pantheon/ Zed/ Irelia on the same team and they're all obviously going to zerg you, then take this! It's extremely strong against them, the active is pretty nice to have as a self peel.
Since Vayne doesn't have natural escape abilities, I'd say Flash is a must! I just can't describe how useful this spell is. It will help you escape awkward situations, chase enemies and position yourself in team fights. Ghost can be a good alternative, it can also be used to chase or escape from enemies. But I prefer Flash.
My usual choice since Season 3. It provides nice protection from any damage dealt to you and it can be used to bait your enemies to attack you under turret when you are low health. I choose Barrier over Heal just because Heal is easily countered by healing reduction ( Ignite, Impure Shots, etc.)
When you are playing against champions with hard CC ( Amumu, Leona, Ashe, Sona, etc.) Cleanse is maybe the best choice to consider. Alternatively, you can take Mercurial Scimitar to free space for another summoner's spell.
Tips and Tricks
Tips for Trades
- Most of you might know Q Tumble is an auto-attack reset.
- If you shoot twice on the target with Silver Bolts your Condemn procs the last proc.
- You will most likely lose the trade if you dont get the last Silver Bolts proc off.
- If you Tumble straight into a wall i resets straight away.
- Most often you will see is 2x auto-attack and then Tumble or auto-attack Tumble auto-attack.
- Probably the hardest and most difficult trade is auto-attack, Condemn and then while they fly back auto-attack right after, so you get the last Silver Bolts proc off.
I'll explain some of the counters for Vayne and why.
Counters for Vayne
I'd say that it depends on which support you or they have so it changes the final outcome.
Keep in mind that Vayne outscales all these AD carries :)
- Caitlyn, Her range is ridiculous and poking ability. If you tumble into her, Caitlyn can E to disengage. Caitlyn can cast 90 Caliber Net while she Piltover Peacemaker. After that she can kite you pretty easily. So having a support that can help you sustain is very good.
- Draven, chunks and bursts Vayne so hard early game, its unbelievable. Draven should try shut her down as much as possible (applies to all adc'). Draven with a hard CC Support for example Leona or Blitzcrank can shut her down quite hard, but eventually most Vaynes come back into the game.
- Corki, High burst champions are good against Vayne especially in laning phase. Corkis Phosphorus Bomb deals massive amounts of burst, and Corkis ultimate Missile Barrage, does sustained amounts of burst.
- Graves, as i said High burst champions are good against Vayne, especially in laning phase. Graves's Buckshot deals tons of damage. Graves can disengage with Smoke Screen so Vayne cant see and Quickdraw out of the fight.
- Varus, its probably the same reason Varus counters Vayne because of the high burst with Blighted Quiver and combine it with Piercing Arrow, Hail of Arrows or Chain of Corruption.
Vayne counters who?
I'll explain most of the champions that Vayne counters and why