Talon Build Guide by ChauveSouvris
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
- 6 Marks and 3 Quints of Strength should give you very good early game damage at 69, which should allow you to last hit minions easier and do better trades if you have to.
- Mana regen seals should give you enough mana to use rake to last hit minions which you can't reach and zone enemy champions away/harass them. I'll explain how this is done efficiently later on.
- MR Glyphs to keep yourself from getting shredded by the CC in teamfights.
Standard 'AD carry' rune page albeit you're not really an AD carry yourself. But the extra armour and health gives much survivability required for a toplane champion, where trading happens a lot.
- You should always open with Boots of Speed and 3 Health Potion. This should give you enough sustainability in lane plus a boost in speed to escape early game ganks. Any other options would either be overly safe(Cloth & 5Pots) or risky(Doran's Blade).
- If you're laning against durable champions such as Renekton or Riven, getting a 2nd Doran's Blade before Brutalizer is always viable.
- At least 1 Ward should be got every recall for lane security.
- If you're fighting against a team with heavy CC, Mercury's Treads is also very viable. If you're owning your top laner so hard which you should if you follow this guide closely, Sword of the Occult and Boots of Mobility are also viable which will allow you to counterjungle/gank mid.
- Elixir of Fortitude should be prioritised over the 6th item. Get whenver you can.
- Frozen Mallet as the last item allows you to apply the slow and have your passive always active. However this isn't as attractive as it sounds since Talon is a Burst champion. This means he shouldn't be sitting around AA-ing for too long, cuz he's very squishy.
- Other items which can replace FM are Trinity Force, a 2nd Bloodthirster or any other defensive items corresponding to the enemy team.
- Maxing W first since it can clear minion waves VERY FAST once you get your Brutalizer. It also is a very reliable Slow with relatively low CD.
- Q second simply because it does tons of damage.
- E last since its an utility spell(gap closer)
- R whenever possible obviously.
Ignite& Flash are the best combo for Talon. Ignite gives the very necessary extra burst damage to him while Flash is just OP and should really always be takn.
Other possible Summoner Spells are Ghost Exhaust and Smite if you want to jungle.
Pros / Cons
+ Can burst tons of damage.
+ High survivability with Flash and Ult which has relatively low CD.
+ Dominate lane and can zone out opponents/deny creeps with Rake.
+ Is an assassin.
+ Becomes relatively vulnerable in team fights if not fed enough.
+ Has bad skins.
This is Talon's strongest strength. He's an excellent laner with a very safe and strong poke which is Rake. The key to use Rake is:
- Do not always spam Rake when the enemy is in ranged. Save it until a creep or 2 in lane get low so you can last hit the creep(s) AND damage the enemy champion, or else the Rake will bring the creeps in lane low which makes it hard for you to last hit.
Once you hit level 3, you have access to a very strong harass combo which is E-Q-W. Now, I've seen a lot of people activate Q before they pop E. DON'T. Another strength of Q is that it resets your attack timer. So if you E-AutoAttack-Q-W, you will do alot more damage than Q-E-W .
Once you reach level 6, you have the ultimate killing potential. Now at this point you should have already got your enemy laner to around 60% HP. You can burst him down with the combo:
- E-AutoAttack-Q-W-R-Moves past him a bit-R-Autoattack-(ignite if hes not dead)
The combo above is really strong and fast and should be able to kill anyone from 50-60% HP.
Midgame is all about Dragon-control and teamfights. Generally in teamfights, your role is to burst down enemy AD carry or AP carry or Jungler<if he's not tanky> asap using the combo above. Poke whenever you can before teamfight with Rake.
If you're chasing an enemy, you can use the combo below to catch up:
- R-E-AutoAttack-Q-W-keep on chasing
The killing potential of Talon is not very strong lategame, but still very intimidating. Your job as an assassin is still the same in teamfights: Killing the enemy carries asap.
You can also split push if your team is at an advantage and you don't feel like you could break through an enemy tower. Your Ult should give you enough time to run away if the enemies try to gank you. Don't forget to use Youmu's GhostBlade for the slight speed boost to get away too.