Darius Build Guide by Best Raidboss EU
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Bruiser vs heavy AD
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Who am I?
Hey, and thank you for reading this guide. I am an experienced Darius player, even though I started playing League of Legends a couple of months ago. My current ranked rating is around 2100 elo http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/32060840 and I am aiming for that Diamond. This will be a really detailed guide, and I will guide you through every matchup on toplane. I know I am not the best player, but I know what I am doing on that Rift. If you want to get better and climb that elo ladder, you better keep on reading :)
There is a reason I call Darius a raidboss...
"Omg, why pick Darius as first pick. Ur gonna be countered, 100%". That is a common sentence in ranked championselect, but definately not true. If you play Darius correctly, even in high elo, you can stomp every matchup (Teemo, Jayce, Yorick, Kennen, etc). No ganks needed. Darius' killing potential before lvl 6 against ranged champions are limited, but as soon as he hits that lvl 6, they better be scared of the hook. Apprehend into Crippling Strike some autos(atleast getting 5 stacks of Hemorrhage), a Decimate and Noxian Guillotine can lead into a quick kill on some squishies Kennen Teemo. I will explain more about game phases and matchups later on.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage: I recommend flat AD marks for easier last hitting and trade potential in the early game. Armor Penetration marks are also acceptable.
Greater Seal of Armor: I recommend flat armor for reduced damage against ranged autoattacks aswell as reduced dmg vs physical poke from melees, ex: Riven
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: I recommend flat MR for early laning for better trading potential vs Ability power users , Kennen Rumble. You can also have a second rune page with Greater Glyph of Armor vs full AD matchups Riven, Wukong. You can also go Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction for more frequently poke with Decimate
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed I use these for better escape and juke potential, juking hard CC skillshots is really key on Darius. Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage Greater Quintessence of Armor Penetration Greater Quintessence of Armor and Greater Quintessence of Magic Resist are also viable on Darius, ur choice.
I will just jump right in why I go 9-21-0.
There are ___ reasons:
1) Darius needs the tankyness from the defencive tree to survive teamfights mid/lategame.
2) Honor Guard is really key in all phases of the game. It gives pure tankyness.
3) Darius tend to be vulnerable to both soft and heavy CC, and being kited, so Tenacious is perfect for Darius.
4) Block helps out Darius alot during lane phase. Especially vs ranged poke champions Kennen Jayce
5) I use Summoner's Wrath for the 5 extra AD and AP with Ignite on cooldown.
6) You can choose between Fury and Sorcery , depends on what you like best.
7) Armor pen is always good.
The diffrent matchups on toplane
I will start with the one and only Captain Swift Scout, [[Teeemo]
Teeemo is to be the hardest counter to Darius
Blade of the Ruined King, Important item!
Blade of the Ruined King is not a must on Darius, but it is really good.
Here are 3 reasons:
1) The % dmg on autoattacks will most likely benefit Darius alot cause people tend to build HP vs him cause of the passive armor penetration from Apprehend and his true dmg ult Noxian Guillotine
2) It covers the lack of Darius' no escape ability with its active.
3) The attack speed makes him stack the bleeds alot quicker than ususal.
Blade of the Ruined King is Best in Slot in my opinion on Darius.