Varus Build Guide by PimpedKoala
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Varus ADC S4: Dominate the bot
Not Updated For Current Season
Hey guys! Im PimpedKoala, an ADC main. In my oppinion, with the new meta's, Varus can be built to excell against any other ADC in the game, early and late. His poke-based laning phase can only be countered by a few specific champs, who Varus will later on beat in mid-late game, and with the right support, Varus can change his playstyle to go against any team comp. I believe he is very underrated, and if played right, people will not be able to handle him. Hope you enjoy my guide!
Varus relies on a heavy amount of AD to lay down tons of damage, then uses his Q to clean it up. He also needs the ability to lay down as many stacks of his W as fast as he can to maximize his damage. This is why his build is based around AD and Attack Speed rather that mainly Crit Strike. Unlike most ADC's, Varus' abilities will NEVER fall off. He continues to scale with his % max health from his W. That is why you should build a Statikk Shiv over an IE, or a Runaan's if you're ahead. You want to get out as many attacks as you can as fast as you can, so you can use your Q and proc your W, dealing insane amounts of damage.
On Varus, your main source of damage comes from your W procs when you use your Q. With that said, you can choose either one to max first; personally, I stagger them early, then finish off the Q before the W. This way, I can use the W in the laning phase to make last hitting easier, while still doing great poke with your Q.
Losing lanes for Varus:
- : Sivir is a very boring lane for Varus. Varus excells with his ability to freely poke the enemy ADC. Sivir's spellshield can block everything from Varus but his autoattacks, which is a lot of damaging spells to potentially be put on CD, and a lot of blocked damage. The lane is not impossible, because she can't outtrade you, but it will be very passive because of the lack of poke potential.
- : Morgana is the support that you never want to verse as Varus. She too, like Sivir, has a very effective shield against Varus, but that's not the only reason she counters him. Because his lack of mobility, a nicely aimed dark binding from Morgana is a guarenteed summoner spell/kill for the enemy.
- /: Both Graves and Lucian can easily outburst Varus if they get get in a position to go all in. If you have a zoning support, however, they probably won't get the opportunity and you will poke them down too fast.
- Other than these champs, the specific things that counter Varus are: Mobility, CC!!!!!!, spell shields, tanks.
Good Allies for Varus
- : She is the PERFECT support for Varus. Between the two of them, they have arguably the most poke potential in the bot lane, and post-six, can all-in decently and get away with a kill or two. They have the perfect synergy for each other, and should be played together whenever possible.
- : Versing another poke-heavy bot lane combo, Taric can keep Varus in lane with his heals, while providing an amazing stun to line up Varus' Q. Taric can then later help Varus survive, by being unkillable in the late game.
- : Morgana is good for Varus for 2 reasons: 1) If she can land a dark binding, it gives Varus an easy target to line up his Q/Ultimate, and 2) If Varus has Morgana on his team, then the enemy can't have her, and you never want to verse a Morgana as Varus. Morgana is also a very strong support in general