Standard 'I will carry' build
Situational items (high CC, etc)
Example full build
Threats to Vayne with this build
|Sivir||Sivir is a lucky match-up. She relies on her team for her to do extensive amounts of damage. Her Q can be dodged easily with your tumble which removes a large portion of her damage. BE CAREFUL: She may use her spell shield to counter your condemn|
Hi! My name is WatchMeTumble (EUW) and I am the Vayne main who made this guide. My favourite ADC's are Vayne, Ezreal, Jhin and Draven. In this guide I will strive to teach you how to become an amazing Vayne player in a detailed yet simplistic manner. I personally love Vayne because of the risks she poses but also the rewards you may reap with high skill. Feel free to ask any questions below and I will be sure to respond to them quickly.
So get ready to become enlightened with Vayne knowledge!
Pro's & Cons
Greater Glyph of Attack Speed
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed: These quintessence's are extremely important on Vayne as she is extremely reliant on her silver bolts to ensure she is outputting the highest damage possible. By using these attack speed quintessence's you increase your chance to get a first blood and helps greatly when cs'ing.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: These are a standard for all ADC's as they help in early trades and also to cs early with.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: You take these to survive early and to have scaling defenses into the mid and late game. These are essential as in most cases you will be against an ability power champion and as such these provide you with some damage mitigation to help you duel them.
- Greater Glyph of Attack Speed: This aids in mainly your early game. By using 5 glyph's of attack speed you can dish out more damage with your silver bolts. It's high risk, high reward with this setup as you sacrifice some defensive stats to accomplish this.
- Greater Seal of Armor: These ensure that you survive early trades and are essential on Vayne. Vayne is already extremely squishy and by using these seals you greatly increase your chance to survive early and even to get kills.
These are the standard masteries for Vayne, they're all self-explanatory when read. for attack speed to help in trades, to help in lane with sustain due to Vayne's bad early laning, provides life steal yet again which helps in getting through the early laning phase and winning trades, which aids in snowballing and carrying as you gain extra damage for each unique enemy champion you kill (maximum 5%) and fervor to scale extremely well into the late-game but also to win prolonged trades in lsne.
is used to help to kill minions in lane as it provides you with higher auto attack damage against them, these biscuits give you a heal of 20 health instantly and +150 more health overtime, helps to secure kills by dealing increased damage to low health enemies and finally is extremely important as it helps greatly for outplays as it gives a 5% heal per champion killed and also gives you back 5% of your mana.
As mentioned earlier when playing Vayne you can opt for as it provides a substantial amount of burst damage when you proc your . The masteries would look like:
Vayne abilities are created to give her amazing outplay potential while making her look graceful. Below are all of Vayne abilities explained.
- Light blue text will indicate the abilites complete in-game definition.
- Green text will provide a summary of the ability.
- Orange text will give a tip or trick that is essential to become an advanced Vayne player.
Passive: Night Hunter
- Vayne gains 30 movement speed when moving towards a nearby visible enemy champion.
- 30 movement speed when moving in an enemies direction.
- When Vayne uses her ultimate this effect is tripled giving her 90 movement speed when moving towards an enemy champion.
Q ability - Tumble
- Vayne quickly rolls toward the cursor's location, causing her next basic attack within 7 seconds to deal bonus physical damage.
- Vayne quickly performs a small dash like ability to where the cursor is facing and gives bonus damage on her next auto attack.
- Your resets your auto attack. This should be used to win trades and to pump out extra damage. Also, when using try to tumble diagonally instead of straight-forward or backwards as it is less predictable when outplaying. Remember: when you use while your ultimate is active you will become invisible for 1 second, use this to confuse opponents.
W ability - Silver Bolts
- Vayne's basic attacks and abilities mark her target with Silver Bolts for 3 seconds, stacking up to 3 times. Attacking a new enemy cleanses the previous target of all Silver Bolts.
The third stack consumes all Silver Bolts on the target to deal them true damage. The damage has a minimum damage threshold, and is capped at 200 against monsters.
- Every time Vayne auto attacks she will apply 1 to her target. Once 3 stacks have been applied they will proc dealing true damage to the enemy. Has a 200 damage cap against monsters.
- A simple harass combo to proc this effect is auto attack, tumble and then condemn which can do high amounts of damage very fast, but requires a lot of mana to perform. Use to your advantage, they destroy tanks.
E ability - Condemn
- Vayne fires a heavy bolt at the target unit, dealing physical damage, Airborne icon knocking them back and applying .If the target is knocked into a wall, they take the same damage again and are Stun icon stunned for 1.5 seconds.
- When is used against a wall it will give Vayne a 1.5 second stun. If not used against a wall it will just apply the damage once with no stun.
- A mechanical trick that can come in handy is: You can and as Vayne does the animation you can flash to make your condemn stun the enemy when they impact the wall. The video shows this:
R ability - Final Hour
- Vayne temporarily gains bonus attack damage, empowering Night Hunter and Tumble for the duration.
- Vayne gets increased strength and a stealth on tumble. She gains additional AD based on the rank of her . Her passive movement speed is increased to 90.
- Use your ultimate as much as possible especially when duelling. It provides a stealth on her Q, increased movement speed only when running towards her target and increased attack damage.
Why use this skill sequence?
- As seen in the skill sequence, early on we will focus on getting 3 points into our as this provides us with essential trading damage and prepares us for a possible level 6 engage with . After level 6 the priority is set on maxing your as this will add to how evasive we become especially with small skirmishes and teamfights beginning to occur within the 10-20 minute mark. I personally recommend using this skill sequence as it provides the best of both worlds as it gives you the high damage of the yet the evasiveness of having at maximum level.
This is a compulsory summoner spell on all ADC's, but especially for Vayne. Flash is Vayne extra outplay tool, one that can save her but can also be used as a method of getting a kill or performing the trick shown above. The into . Always take this summoner spell, you will not regret it.
This summoner spell is great on all ADC's. When you use it on Vayne be weary to use heal on your support if they are in danger, firstly it will show your generosity but also it will give the support a sense of appreciation which may lead them to playing better. Overall, taking heal on Vayne is extremely good as it can save you out of bad situations or give you the extra health you needed to outplay your chosen target.
|These are the optimal boots for most ADC's but especially for Vayne. These boots give the mandatory attack speed stat that Vayne craves to acquire. Berserker's greaves allow Vayne to auto attack at a faster rate and thus allowing her to proc her silver bolts at a higher frequency.|
|The infinity edge gives Vayne a large power spike when purchased and so is extremely strong in the early/mid game when you will get it. It gives Vayne stats such as critical strike and high damage to further increase her dueling potential. The infinity edge is highly recommended to be purchased as it also increases a critical strike's damage to 250% which is very important in this build where you will have roughly 80% critical chance in the late-game.|
|Oh the bloodthirster... This item is amazing on Vayne , the lifesteal is priceless in the late-game where with correct kiting and evasive technique's the lifsteal from can save your life and keep you sustained throughout fights. This item is a must have on Vayne and if not purchased must be replaced with at least 1 other lifesteal item. The stat's it gives are too good to pass up and is highly recommended.|
|The Statikk Shivwas the other option you could have purchased as an attack speed item. It is down to personal preference but I personally recommend the Statikk Shiv. Since this build consists of high critical chance the Statikk Shiv is a desirable option as the chain lightning can also critically strike. This knowledge can even be used in games by hitting a minion and using the chain lightning to kill an enemy, although a rare occasion it can rake you up a kill. Otherwise, the damage from the chain lightning is still great when directly applied as it add's to your burst damage from a final hour into tumble auto attack.|
The Laning Phase
Vayne's laning phase is rather weak but she can secure some kills due to some core abilities in her kit such as
Vayne has many synergies to keep her safe in the laning phase and also to give her kills which allow her to snowball, these supports are:
Nami is the perfect support for Vayne as she offers a heal , two crowd control abilities and an auto attack steroid that allows Vayne to deal more damage.She also has an amazing engage and disengage with her ultimate
Thresh is a great support/tank in the bot lane especially with a Vayne. If any hooks are landed it gives Vayne valuable time to set up her condemn. Even if the Thresh misses the hook he still offers great utility and disengage with his E and with his W shield. He is relevant in all stages of the game.
Janna has 3 crowd control abilities that are extremely effective in peeling for Vayne but also,it gives Vayne time to setup key abilities such as condemn.The movement speed boost from her passive makes her an amazing support for Vayne especially in the mid and late game stages. Her shield is dependent on timing so it's hit or miss when being poked, but effective in skirmishes.
Other good supports for Vayne are: Leona, Braum and Alistar
In the laning phase with Vayne your focus is farming and then kills. Your level 2 or 3 on Vayne is also quite strong, so with a good support an engage can be done at this point in order to secure a kill or get the enemy to extremely low health.
Some cs goals for you as a Vayne player should be:
- 25-30 cs in 5 minutes
- 65-75 cs in 10 minutes
Once you destroy the bot lane tower you will want to rotate to mid-lane or at least secure some core objectives such as dragon with your team.
Mid/Late game w/Positioning
When teamfighting as Vayne you must stay in the backline behind your tanks where you will be protected. Remember, you are the ADC, the person who does the highest damage on your team so you must stay alive because when you're dead, you're not doing damage. You should not be in the frontline because you will be susceptible to poke but if you are skilled enough you can go in the frontline whilst using your Q tumble as a repositioning tool to keep kiting and slaughtering your enemies.Also remember to use condemn in teamfights as you can lock someone down which can give a free kill to the team.
Whenever your team is taking objectives such as the dragon or baron it is your priority to help them get it as fast as possible. As Vayne you are a high damage dealer and so can help clear objectives very fast.
Split pushing on Vayne can be very strong, especially with our Statikk Shiv to help clear minion waves. Where Vayne really shines is when someone comes to kill her, and you can probably guess what will happen. As a Vayne you can use your ultimate and then tumble to go into stealth and confuse your opponent. In the time you are stealthed you can position yourself to hit a perfect condemn and easily kill your opponent.
As I mentioned above you must be very careful when positioning as Vayne and luckily you have your tumble to help do so. I will just summarise the positioning tips above.
Make sure to stay in the backline where you are protected by your tanks/bruisers.
Only go into the frontline if absolutely necessary but be very vigilant of poke and use tumble to reposition and avoid it.
When fighting your opponent you should be kiting and should position yourself a significant distance from your opponent. If you condemn an enemy hit them as you reposition yourself away from them to make sure you always have the advantage.
Synergy: Nami, Janna, Braum, Alistar, Leona, Thresh
Jungler ganking potential: Very high gank potential
Speciality: Can kill targets fast whilst outplaying them with grace.
Explanation: Vayne is a ADC/markswoman that has insane outplay potential with the correct mechanics and presents herself with a challenge to anyone wishing to learn her. She may be difficult at first but when learned to a high level she becomes this graceful carry that your team absolutely adores. Overall, she is an ADC that is worth learning if you are ready to spend a lot of time at it. She can solo carry games and most important of all never becomes boring due to her high damage output and ability to reposition with .She is a high risk, high reward champion.
I hope that you learned a lot from this guide and would truly like to thank you if you got this far. Please upvote my guide if you believe it is of good standard and feel free to leave positive criticism on anything you believe I could improve on as this is my first ever guide. You can message me on League of Legends on EUW (WatchMeTumble) if you have any questions or even in the discussions section of this guide.
I would like to give one last thank you for reading this guide and I hope that now you can play Vayne, The Night Hunter.
Below are some of my Pentakills on Vayne.