Veigar Build Guide by Zachary09
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Pros / Cons
Why I'm picking these masteries?
- Summoner's Wrath gives you extra 5 Ability power and Attack Damage after using Ignite. A must-have mastery.
- Mental Force gives you 4 additional Ability Power. Adds some power to your Magic Damage early game.
- Sorcery gives you 4% Cooldown Reduction, which lets you cast every ability more frequently! This means more stacks on Veigar's Baleful Strike!
- Arcane Knowledge is self explanatory - removes 10% of your targets Magic Resist.
- Havoc increases all damage dealt by you by 1.5%. Helps you kill an enemy target.
- Blast is self explanatory. More Ability Power means more Magic Damage!
- Archmage provides 5% additional Ability Power from your original Ability Power pool.
- Executioner allows your burst to deal a little bigger damage to targets below 40% health - lets you burst more efficiently!
- Summoner's Insight lets you flash here and there more frequently. Helps you chase targets, or run from sticky situations. Positioning is very important!
- Expanded Mind gives you bigger Mana Pool, so it helps you preserve mana. Also, it means you can have more stacks on your Baleful Strike!
- Swiftness is very important: pairing Swiftness mastery with Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed and Boots of Swiftness lets you run at 421 Movement Speed!
Greater Quintessence of Swiftness
Greater Quintessence of Potency
Greater Mark of Insight
Greater Seal of Clarity
Greater Glyph of Focus
Greater Glyph of Shielding
Ability Sequence and Explanation
Veigar is a very versatile champion. His skills are pretty strong, as well as unique in the league.
First three levels - Q, E, W
- Equilibrium is Veigars passive. It allows him to spam his spells more frequently, because when Veigar's mana reaches zero, his Mana Regeneration grows by 75%! Additionally, when his mana is at maximum point, his Mana Regeneration has no additional bonuses. Simply - if Veigar's mana is low, his Mana Regeneration grows up by 75%.
- Baleful Strike is Veigars primary harass and farm ability. Basically, when Veigar kills a target with this ability, his Ability Power pool grows by 1 Ability Power point. Also, when you kill a champion from any source of damage, depending on Baleful Strikes level your Ability Power pool grows by up to five Ability Power points.
- Dark Matter is Veigars primary damage ability. It is also a skillshot, which deals damage on the area of impact after 1.2 seconds when Veigar casts the ability. Casting Dark Matter on a target stunned with Event Horizon or some other stunning ability ensures a target will get damaged.
- Event Horizon is Veigars primary utility ability. It is a skillshot, which allows Veigar to stun targets standing on the edges of the circle created using Event Horizon ability. This ability is one of the hardest to master when it comes to Veigars skillset, but also is the funniest ability to use when you need a quick response to a gank.
- Primordial Burst is Veigars primary damage tool against AP Carries. It deals additional damage based on enemy targets Ability Power - it deals 80% more damage (the number being enemy Ability Power pool). However, it still deals decently high damage against non-AP Carries so do not worry to use it against an AD Carry if you have no other choice.
Core build for Veigar is pretty simple.
Further Items - Damage
In addition to Core Items if you feel safe, you should consider buying following items:
- Void Staff when enemies start to stack Magic Resist,
- Lich Bane to deal additional physical damage after proc from this item.
Further Items - Survivability
In addition to Core Items if you feel overwhelmed by enemy focus and presence, you should consider buying following items:
- Banshee's Veil if the enemy team is magic heavy, and you are getting stunlocked from time to time,
- Quicksilver Sash if the enemy team is full of CC champions,
- Randuin's Omen if the enemy AD Carries focus you (nonetheless, you should have bigger problems with enemy AP Carries than AD Carries),
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter - this item is already in Core Items but it's worth mentioning here as it gives you the ability to avoid enemy contact when additionally having big health pool yourself.
Laning phase - early game
In the very first minutes of the game cover your jungle from the blue side near mid lane (if you are on the blue team), or cover your jungle from the red side near mid lane (if you are on the purple team).
After pulling your junglers buff head over to your lane and lasthit as much as possible. Try not to push, as any push attempt may result in enemy jungler ganking mid lane, and you want to avoid this as much as possible. Only push when you are going to take blue from your jungler, or you are going to gank other lanes.
Laning phase - mid game
In mid game you should focus on harassing your enemy when he comes to farm. You yourself should also farm alot using your Baleful Strike and autoattacks. Your burst should be considerably big by mid game already. Apart from tearing your enemy apart on mid lane, you should also help your team around the map. You can leave your lane for a minute, or two, because when enemies destroy tier first turret, they let you farm your Baleful Strike even more! Core items for mid game should be Rabadon's Deathcap and Boots of Swiftness. At the end of mid game you should have Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
By end game you should already have core build set up, and here you should decide whether you should go Damage or Survivability. If enemy team is focusing you, locking you up, etc. try going Survivability. If enemy team prefers to focus your AD Carry or tanks, you should try going Damage My personal preference is always full Damage, as Veigars damage is still amazing even when he is idling behind friendly tanks waiting for an opportunity to burst down the enemy fighters or carries.
My name is Zachary and it is the end of my Veigar guide here on Mobafire. Thank you for patiently reading all the chapters. Please, take your time and comment and rate my work!
Big credit to JhoiJhoi for her awesome guide on making a guide!