Vi, Top Lane Domination
Hey guys and girls, My name is Naxtilian, this is my first attempt at a real structured Guide. I worked hard to make this guide the best I could, and I would appreciate any and all feedback that you guys may provide. Vi is an amazing champion I find her the most fun champion to play to date. Using the Vault Breaker and Assault and Battery combo is just so fun :D
Without further ado, I present to you, my dear readers, my Vi Top and Jungle Domination guide. I put a fair amount of effort into this guide, so I do implore you to reconsider any downvotes pending the actual trial and testing of my guide that I imagine you are planning to do. And above all, thank you for taking the time to read this Vi Guide.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the help, you can find her here here.
And to flubmasterflex for helping me test out different builds
Pros / Cons
Pros / Cons
+ High Damage Output
+ Good Burst
+ Easy Farming with E
+ Great Initiator
+ Scales well with AD
+ Good at trades thanks to her Passive and her high early game damage
- Not the tankiest Top Laner
- No sustain
- While charging her Q her movement speed is decreased
- Early laning phase can be tricky
- After using her ulti she can be caught out of position
- After using E to harass lane can become pushed
I take Summoner's Wrath to increase my summoner spells Ghost and Ignite when I am top.
And just Ghost when I am the jungler.
I take Sorcery for the CDR, as Vi does the majority of her damage from her ability's I find the CDR a lot more beneficial than Attack speed.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: Standard AD Marks that work for almost any top lane bruiser. They give your more damage and let you last hit more easily. Armor Penetration Marks are also fine but I prefer these.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Armor Seals to deal with other AD Bruisers. These are really helpful for your early game since you're not really tanky as Vi
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: Magic Resist Glyphs against any Magic Damage dealers you might meet at top lane. Like the Armor Seals these help a lot early game. If you're not against an AP based champion and you have an extra rune page use Scaling Magic Resist ones.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: Same as the AD Marks. These help out with last hitting and combined with the AD Marks you start out with 74 AD which is pretty good. Armor Pen Quints might work but I recommend you just take these. They are the safer choice.
Ghost: To catch fleeing champions easier. It's a very long a powerful speed boost that makes you ignore collision with minions. Has an additional 35% Movement speed bonus when used with the talent Summoner's Wrath.
Ignite: You are laning against characters that heal themselves, like Dr. Mundo, Vladimir, or Volibear. To burn peoples health and secure would-be kills.
Smite: If you are jungling you must have Smite. No exceptions. Useful to steal Blue and Red buffs when counter jungling as well as secure Dragon and Baron Nashor.
- Blast Shield: Innate: When Vi's activated abilities damage an enemy, she gains a shield equal to 10% of her maximum health for 3 seconds. Blast shield has a 18 / 13 / 8 second cooldown.
A very nice passive for trades. Keep in mind that the shield isn't that big and the cooldown on it in early levels isn't that short so don't stick around too much when trading with the other laner if you think he'll damage you a lot when the shield breaks.
- Vault Breaker (Q): First Cast: Slows your movement speed by 15% while increasing damage and dash range over 1.25 seconds.
Second Cast: Vi dashes forward, dealing physical damage and applying Denting Blows to all enemies hit. Vi stops upon colliding with an enemy champion, knocking it back. Vault Breaker deals 75% damage to minions and monsters.
Range: 50 - 600
Cooldown: 18 / 15.5 / 13 / 10.5 / 8
Cost: 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 mana
Minimum Physical Damage: 50 / 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 (+70% bonus AD)
Maximum Physical Damage: 100 / 160 / 220 / 280 / 340 (+140% bonus AD)
This is your gap closing ability. When fully charged it deals a lot of damage. Keep in mind however that you slow yourself down while charging it. Use this ability to close the gap between your opponents, go through walls (it has a lot of range when fully charged), catch someone who is out of position for your team or to escape ganks and sticky situations.
- Denting Blows (W): Passive: Every 3rd attack on the same target deals additional physical damage equal to a percentage of the target's maximum health, reduces its armor by 20% and grants Vi bonus attack speed for 4 seconds. Denting Blows deals a maximum of 300 damage against minions and monsters.
Bonus Physical Damage: 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10% of target's max health (+1% per 35 bonus AD)
Attack Speed Bonus: 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50%
Similar to Vayne's W however it deals bonus physical damage based on the target's max health and not true damage. A good skill for 1v1 fights because it not only increases your DPS but it gives an attack speed buff. In lane try killing 1 minion with 3 hits just to trigger the attack speed buff and trade with your opponent while having the buff on.
- Excessive Force (E): Active: Causes Vi's next basic attack to deal bonus physical damage to the target and enemies behind it. Vi periodically charges a new punch and can hold up to 2 charges at once.
Cost: 60 mana + 1 charge
Total Physical Damage: 5 / 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 (+115% AD) (+70% AP)
Charge Reload Time: 14 / 12.5 / 11 / 9.5 / 8 seconds
Your main damaging ability and the one you'll be maxing out. This is a great ability for 1v1 fights, easy farming, pushing and harass. Use it to simply harass your opponent in lane by hitting minions that are in front of him. The damage is the same to every target which is nice and the range on the ability is actually longer than you might expect.
- Assault and Battery (R): Active: Vi targets an enemy champion and chases it down, knocking it up for 1.25 seconds, dealing physical damage. While charging, Vi is immune to crowd control and will knock aside enemies in her way, dealing 75% damage to them.
Cooldown: 130 / 105 / 80
Cost: 100 / 125 / 150 mana
Physical Damage: 200 / 325 / 450 (+140% bonus AD)
Physical Damage to Secondary Targets: 150 / 262.5 / 375 (+105% bonus AD)
This Ultimate is awesome. The range on it is pretty big and it can catch people off guard quite easily. It can be used both to initiate and as a finisher depending on the situation. However keep in mind that when you target someone with it you start going to their location and end up behind them so if your target is near the whole enemy team you might want to think before using it. Other than that this ultimate is a great initiation tool and a great finisher for 1v1's. Oh and this ability actually deals damage to everyone you pass through while going to your target but it's not as big as the damage dealt to the target.
Ability Sequence Order
Ability Sequence Order
Use Vault Breaker to close the gap between you and the enemy. If you hit the enemy you will knock them back slightly try to use this to your advantage by pushing them towards team mates or even friendly turrets. Use double Excessive Force for the tonnes of damage :P. If some how your opponent is escaping use Assault and Battery to close the gap again between you and them and for the damage :D
: We want this item for the magic resistance and for the 35% tenacity.
: Take this item for the attack damage, HP, armor penetration and for CDR
: This item is all round useful it has almost everything you need. Some people may say you do not need the ability power but it does stack nicely with Excessive Force
: Take this item for the Attack Damage, Hp, armor pene, CDR and the spell vamp
: Take this item for the Hp, armor, CDR and the hp regeneration
- : Take this item for the attack damage, crit % and for the unique passive that increase's you attack damage equal to 1.5% of your maximum hp this stacks well with Locket of the Iron Solari The Black Cleaver and Trinity Force
When laning try to position yourself so you can hit the opponent with your Excessive Force. Try to harass the enemy as much as you can without pushing your lane too far. Never forget the enemy jungler. You can get ganked at any time so be cautious when using your Vault Breaker you do not want to get ganked when your Vault Breaker is on CD. Ward when you can.
When jungling always position yourself so your hit all the minions in a pack with your Excessive Force. If you can I try to kill wolves at 1:40 then blue at 1:55. Ask your team to help you damage down the wolves and/or the blue buff. If you get enough damage on the blue you will be able to kill it without Smite. If you manage to kill wolves and blue without Smite head straight to your red buff using potions on the way. You should be able to get red buff down with 50% hp remaining and 1-2 potions. Use your potions to get full hp and your ready to gank which ever lane you feel needs it the most. Getting the blue buff without Smite allows you to get the red buff a lot quicker and allows you to gank faster than the enemy team will anticipate.
In team fights try to position your self so that your Excessive Force hits the whole enemy team. Use you Assault and Battery to get to the enemy ADC, follow up by using your Vault Breaker to knock her/him back and preventing her/him from doing anything for a short time.
There’s nothing more satisfying than the sounds of your enemies succumbing to an extreme beat-down. Not to Vi, anyway, the newest champion to join the League. Punching, excessive force, and armor-busting brutality are what she’s all about.
At home in top lane or the jungle, Vi playstyle revolves around pummeling opponents and tearing into and shattering their armor. Vi signature punch is Vault Breaker. When you first activate the ability, Vault Breaker begins charging a powerful punch. Activating Vault Breaker a second time causes you to dash forward, dealing damage to units and knocking back enemy champions. Early game, Vi excels at bullying opponents while shoving the lane with Vault Breaker and the AoE damage from Excessive Force. Skillful use of Excessive Force allows you to quickly clear your lane while harassing opponents trying to get in close to last hit minions.
When team fights erupt, Vi ultimate allows you to charge through your opponents’ front-line and crush their carries. Assault and Battery locks on to an enemy champion. You then chase them down, uppercutting them into the air. Enemies unfortunate enough to be in the way are knocked aside. High damage, armor debuffs, and knockbacks make you a disruptive force. Since Vi attacks and activated abilities apply stacks of Denting Blows, you can increase your damage significantly against armored opponents by just doing what you do best: punching. To top it all off, Vi Blast Shield helps her survive not only big damage bursts, but also prolonged team fights.
Are you ready to slip on your gauntlets and show off your pummeling prowess? Once your opponents get a glimpse of your heavy weaponry, it’s punch or be punched.
Vi is an extremely fun champion to play, even though she is hard to get the hang of. If you have any comments, questions or queries about my guide, please don't hesitate to ask any questions.
Upvote if you liked the guide, and only downvote if you feel it is absolutely necessary. If you do downvote, please inform me of why, and perhaps I can rectify any mistakes I have made.
Thank you for reading my guide.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the help, you can find her here here.