Volibear Build Guide by RisenApathy
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
About ARAM Proving Grounds
Experimenting a powerful early Warmog's Armor build for Volibear soon to be posted, so far, I've had pretty powerful games with Volibear on this map.
Summoner Spells I use for this game mode are both Ignite and Flash. This develops into a tanky-nuking bear, which is hilarious.
For the build itself, I would believe starting with Giant's Belt and following Twisted Treeline's build but changing the 2nd Warmog's Armor into something such as Wit's End or more resistance depending on the match itself.
I will be posting up a general build for Proving Grounds soon!
Check back soon!
Edit: Finally created build for Proving Grounds!
Edit: I have swapped Builds #1 and #5, solely because Build #1 is pretty much the best of the bunch. Works with most situations and has that balance needed for those situations.
- 11/11/2012:Removed Twisted Treeline build
- 8/28/2012:Added Build for Proving Grounds (Team 2 Build 2)
- 6/17/2012:Swapped Builds #1 and #5 for Team 1; added more information and icons
- 6/8/2012:Updated build 5 (went from stacking Giant's Belt to upgrading items)
- 5/15/2012:Added Build 5 for Dominion; added some code for icons.
- 4/30/2012:Added 3v3 build
- 4/12/2012:Added Color to some text and added 3 situational tanky builds
- 4/10/2012:Created build
Alright, agitating as it seems, Volibear is a friggin' tough champ to build in Dominion. I tried random things, and this fell in together. I don't know codes too well, and I apologize for my lack of learning it.
EDIT:Riot has changed everything about Twisted Treeline, therefore, my old build was deleted. I will create a new build according to new standards and items.
Been playing some 3v3 on Twisted Treeline lately, and I've been using the build found on Team 2, It's EXTREMELY HP HEAVY!!!
The following builds are situational tank builds
4th: Mix (MR and Armor)
Note: Builds 2-4 do have slight focus on HP, hence, Frenzy maxing early.
The runes listed are the runes I have, since I have built Volibear for Summoner's Rift. And I haven't played League of Legends so long. Substituting Armor Seals for HP runes seems like a decent idea the whole game through. Now, subbing MR glyphs for CDR glyphs could seem viable, but I can't test that just yet.
1st Build: As posted, I typically follow that, but some Items to keep in mind depending on situation...(Could also be Last item in place of Zeke's Herald)
- Hextech Sweeper (For Stealthy champs)
- Thornmail (For AD heavy team)
- Maw of Malmortius, Wit's End, Odyn's Veil, or upgrade Kindlegem > Spirit Visage (For AP heavy team)
For Build 5 I start off with:
- Ninja Tabi, Ruby Crystal, and a Health Potion
If enemy team isn't so auto-attack heavy, there's Mercury's Treads. That would look like:
Boots of Speed+ Ruby Crystal+ Null-Magic Mantle
- I then build into Frozen Mallet ASAP, your team may need it, and Volibear needs the early Health.
- I take Vampiric Scepter followed by Sanguine Blade, lifesteal helps pushing minions and surviving a bit longer. Besides, the damage is nice.
- Spirit Visage comes after (fights Crystal Scar nerf on Chosen of the Storm and helps with lifesteal and Health Packs) for some CDR.
- At this point, the enemy team may be beefier. So I build a Kitae's Bloodrazor to get more damage in, receive larger lifesteal bonuses, and gain more attack speed.
- If the game lasts really long, I'd just shoot for either Ionic Spark or whatever helps to fight off the enemies.
The Build posted is more of a guideline; no direct focus on resistances, damage, health.
This gives us "wiggle-room" in building our champ according to current situation. Read below for detail.
Itemizing for Proving Grounds:
Keep your resistances in mind.
Against AP: Banshee's Veil+ Force of Nature+ Mercury's Treads
Against AD: Thornmail+ Randuin's Omen+ Atma's Impaler or possibly Frozen Heart
Mixed AP/AD: Guardian Angel is possible, but I typically follow posted build.
Reason for Wit's End: Volibear isn't AD heavy with this build, the extra magic damage per swing is great for him, plus his steroid stacked Attack Speed from Frenzy makes this item much more viable. If you feel he needs the AD more, you may easily swap Wit's End for an Atma's Impaler.
Also, building closer to (Team 1 Build 1) Dominion build, is never a bad idea.
Note: Do not forget there are other Item restrictions on Proving Grounds.
First 4 builds: Masteries are focused on a standard tanky build.
5th build: Masteries are focused on power. Hahah. I grab the Magic Penetration for Volibear's 2 magic based skills.
Twisted Treeline build is based on Tankiness with a hint of damage.
For Team 1 Builds
> > >
I feel Majestic Roar should come before Rolling Thunder, ONLY because minion waves are MUCH easier to wipe out with it. But if you like to chase enemies out for your team to destroy, Rolling Thunder is the way to go (before Majestic Roar, that is)
Map awareness and team work is a MUST, without it, it's GG. I suggest NOT going BOT... ever! Volibear is too slow and building him like a carry means easy death. So don't bother with that. Discuss who will be where at Champion Selection, and make sure your team sticks to it. This applies to EVERY game mode. (Maybe even 1v1 custom games, haha.)
I made build 1 with a focus in being a Top-defending Volibear, therefore, I chose Ghost for mobility and Garrison for the defending.
REMEMBER: Summoner's Resolve deals 50% splash damage, helps with 2v1 situations, If you're talented, get that double kill.
Other viable Summoner spell options may include:
- Exhaust: Definitely helps with chasing, dueling [reduced damage], helps go toe to toe with other tanky dps champs if the match is way too close.
- Heal: Very situational, as late game, the amount healed wont be TOO much, but I tend to overlook this spell due to Chosen of the Storm.
- Ignite: Very monstrous against stacked life-steal DPS Carries (i.e. Fiora, Master Yi, Tryndamere, etc.)
- Surge: Though I seldom choose this spell, I can say it significantly beefs up Thunder Claws with more AP and Attack Speed, definitely helps late game.
Other rare summoner spells (I never choose these):
- Flash: I feel this can be useful in the right hands, but I typically play Volibear as a tanky defender, and I feel this skill contributes nothing towards winning a fight. By that, I don't mean sweeping up a runner.
- Promote: I'm really itchy on the thought of playing Volibear as a bottom-pick, as I see it, I would have to max Majestic Roar earlier to sweep up minions quicker. Apologies, but these builds aren't really meant for that. Perhaps builds 2-4 may just work.
- Revive: Though it seems nice to defend a mid-point or bottom-point, but the cooldown just takes up so much time it almost seems pointless. I've seen bad games with teams consisting of this spell.
- Smite: Bad Volibear, BAD!
- Clarity: I don't think so.
- Cleanse: Would be nice against certain champions with some nasty locking spells. (i.e. Lux, Morgana, Malzahar, Mordekaiser, Warwick) But a Quicksilver Sash pretty much defeats the purpose.
Thanks for reading.
I am looking forward to advice, feedback, and perhaps some screenshots of any results. Good luck! L(^_~)z
Please, do not feel shy to leave a vote or comment, constructive criticism preferred, or any personal input towards the guide or itemization in general.