Warwick has been one of my most favorable champions throughout my time on League of Legends. Warwick has the ability to change games completely around, from a huge loss to winning with destructive force. The key is working with your team(which is a priority for every champion!), but also learning how to time your skills and know who to focus and when.
Also if you find this build useful, please vote and leave comments on how to improve my builds, I appreciate it! Thank you for also reading my build.
The Sections: These have been updated for Season 3!
Offensive Jungle Build
Tanky/Support Top Lane or Jungle
Pros / Cons
+ One of the quickest junglers, despite being single target. + Great ability to gank once you get Infinite Duress. + Decent damage and able to take quiet a bit of damage and survive still. + Great Initiator, good to help team focus.
- Relies heavily on blue buff, if ganked could ruin jungle speed greatly. - Weak early game - Ganking ability low before ultimate. - Infinite Duress, if used incorrectly can put you in a great deal of harms way.
As for the skills, important notes on each of them.
Passive: Eternal Thirst
- This is what makes Warwick such a hard person to kill, and what makes his jungle great, because of this you can jungle with extreme ease past lvl 3. Each of Warwick's attacks will heal him for 6 / 12 / 18 health. Each successive attack against the same target will stack this amount of healing to Warwick up to a maximum of 3 stacks per strike. The stacks remain for 4 seconds.
Q Skill: Hungering Strike
- This is the bread and butter of Warwick. This skill is great, it heals you for such a great amount(It was recently nerfed, but it is still a great skill) and does plenty of damage. Especially when your chasing that last person with just one last hit on them, and the range on it gets you just close enough to kill them.
Cooldown - 10/9/8/7/6 seconds Cost - 60/70/80/90/100 Mana Range - 400
W Skill: Hunters Call
- This skill is useful especially with teams composed of other attack speed champions such as Master Yi or Twisted Fate, is a great combo in killing champions and more importantly turrets faster. It isn't necessarily useful during early and mid phase of the game. You can level it before Blood Scent if you really love the attack speed boost that much, but personally I don't think is worth it over Blood Scent.
Cooldown - 30/27/24/21/18 seconds Cost - 35/35/35/35/35 Mana Range - Self + 1200 AoE
E Skill: Blood Scent
- This skill is personally one of my favorites and probably the most useful out of all of them, because it allows for you to chase almost anyone with ease and once maxed out the range on it is so large that you can see people in opposite lanes, making Warwick basically a speed demon. I prefer to max this skill out second as that I can chase almost anyone and kill them with great speed.
Cooldown - 4 seconds Cost - Passive/Toggle Range - 1500/2300/3100/3900/4700
Ultimate: Infinite Duress
- This is the reason why Warwick has such great ganking ability. This suppression is one of the best in the game, and the extra life steal and such make it a great tool to use in team fights. You can either use it to initiate, or sneak up on one of the ranged dps, cutting off their damage. As for ganking its advantages are amazing, such as it has a very good range for a suppression and also it can easily stop an enemy in its tracks allowing allies to gain on them.
Cooldown - 90/80/70 seconds Cost - 100/125/150 Mana Range - 700
Masteries are important on every single character especially now compared to season 1, as the masteries continue to get better and more detailed in different ways. As they get more complicated, the more flexibility and variations can be made in the masteries.
Now, with this build, focusing on getting damage output is the key, so
Weapon Expertise &
Sunder are extremely important for game long armor pen.
Fury is also useful early game to increase jungle speed as Warwick is only single target, faster you kill them, the faster the jungle. The key is to get to six as soon as possible so you can help your other teammates with their lanes.
These masteries focus on making Warwick a tanky "SOB". This is to make Warwick more of an off tank than a full tank, so he can't replace the entire tank role, but he can tank for awhile if necessary as well as with Infinite Duress, initiate very effectively.
The focus of this mastery setup is to give you some Armor Pen and attack speed, while getting some extra health from the defense tree, but also getting more life steal and spell vamp. Now as you are jungling and rather focus on that you could lower points in
Fury by two points and then put it into
Butcher , but because of the new items such as Hunter's Machete then upgrading it to a Spirit Stone or Spirit of the Ancient Golem. This page is more experimental than the others, so give your feedback on changes/modifications that you think would be better to utilize the utility tree along with some offensive and defensive bonuses.
I go for more of tank runes while I play Warwick generally speaking, unless the team consists of people like Amumu, Sion, Garen, Warwick, and Lux. The Amumu, Sion, Garen, would be plenty tanky enough and you could easily focus on doing damage(That team example is extremely just for the sake of an example, I don't think that would be the greatest idea for a team composition).
First off, I figure this choice would be obvious, since your mostly going to be auto attacking, getting some armor pen. would be ideal.
The reason for these runes would be to make you tougher while jungling, as well as give you some more resistance for taking a beating. Plus having more armor never hurt anyone.
This would add again to your defenses towards casters and other magic damage, but there are many choices for these such as Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction for cooldown, which is always nice.
So your attacks get through better, these armor pen. runes along with mark armor pen. and the Black Cleaver at the end of the build will make short work of any armor the other team might have. As always however there are some other choices that can benefit instead, such as a Greater Quintessence of Health to gain more health and have more tanking properties.
Other possibilities if you wanted to go for more damage than being a tanky character would be to get Greater Seal of Attack Speed and Greater Glyph of Attack Speed for having that extra attack speed will make your damage even greater especially after getting your other items, also it will make your jungle faster.
Items are increasingly becoming more and more interactive within the game and determine how the game's outcome will be. They always have, but now with the new items in effect it is important to speak of a few of them.
1. and x5
This is pretty standard for many junglers for season 3(which Warwick should be always doing, but more on that later). There could be other things you could get in the beginning like such as if you realize you don't need all 5 of the potions you could just get 2 and a Sight Ward.
These next to items should be rushed as fast as possible, especially the Razors as it will increase your jungling capabilities immensely. And as for the Beserker Greaves depending on how you feel you can change these out for either Boots of Swiftness or whatever it is you feel you need at the time, but I wouldn't aim for more speed if that is what your worried about as Ghost and Blood Scent is plenty efficient to catch almost anyone. Another good pair of boots that would be useful however would be Ionian Boots of Lucidity for the cooldown to get off Hungering Strike more.
Blade of the Ruined King is a great item for Warwick, it gives armor, damage and attack speed and the passive is just amazing. As for the Frozen Mallet the extra hp along with the passive to slow them makes it an ideal item for Warwick as after using his ultimate he can slow the target after each attack.
The Bloodthirster is a great item for Warwick, as it increases his damage immensely, not to mention the additional lifesteal, which increases sustainability in fights. The damage and lifesteal makes you very deadly. The Wit's End is a great item if you need more attack speed, and increased magic resistance if you are facing off against a heavy AP team. I personally love to get it as a core item, but can be exchanged for another item if you feel you don't have a need for the magic res. for an item like the Phantom Dancer or if you want to be a more supportive/tankier member on the team then I would recommend Spirit Visage, Zeke's Herald, or Guardian Angel.
This item is one of the best items to get on Warwick as it strips down the enemies armor, and your ultimate counts as auto attacks with it's passive. So it's a great item to have in your skill list. If you feel you don't need the extra armor penetration go for the Guardian Angel if you didn't replace it with the Wit's End.
I choose this for obvious reasons while jungling to make it faster and more efficient so I can get to level six faster to have the ganking power from Infinite Duress. It is possible that you can jungle without Smite but it is honestly worth the extra speed in jungle to take it.
I really like having ghost on Warwick to make sure that no one gets away or if you need to that you can flee quickly, but this is very optional as the speed you get with Blood Scent is still very efficient without this spell. Also this ability adds a good ganking advantage as if you had Flash it would plop you next to someone but if they had flash you would have no good way of reaching them unless it required you to blow your ulti, so the extra speed allows you to chase more efficiently and pick up those kills.
This is another good option if you would rather have a hard escape skill rather than having Ghost but it's also not a constant movement though so if you do mess up, it could result in your death. Personally I use either this or ghost, but it's up to you.
Some people really like to go with Smite and Exhaust but then you are left with no way of getting out of a fight unless you have the Blood Scent buff, even then though you have a good chance of getting cc'ed to death.
Creeping / Jungling
Now for one of the more important parts of the game, and personally in my opinion a Warwick should almost never, I repeat never lane, unless you absolutely have to. I say this because the jungle was meant for Warwick, it's like his natural habitat and he deserves to be kept in it. He has such ganking potential while in jungle that it would be poor not to take advantage of it after he gets Infinite Duress.
Alright, so first off when you get off the spawn there is two starting places that I prefer to start out at.
1. Preferably I would like to start off at blue buff, then move to dogs, wraiths, Golems, then red, but as many of you have probably experienced is the other team ready to just jump all over you. So either have your team from the nearest lanes to cover you and be ready to defend you along with a leash.
2. The second option, which is generally safer than taking the blue buff path, would be to start at Golems then move to Wraiths, Dogs, then Blue.
Jungling + Skills
In jungle you should always use Hunters Call whenever its off cooldown. On bigger monsters (Golem/Lizard/Dragon) I suggest landing at least 3 melee hits to maximize the effect of Eternal Thirst before triggering Hunters Call.
Hungering Strike should be used on CD whenever you have blue buff. If you don't have blue, use it only on: Blue Wraith, Golem(Big one), Red Buff, and Dragon. Otherwise you will run out on mana very quickly if you spam it on every enemy, which would be fine, if it didn't harm your CS score so badly.
Blood Scent doesn't have much use in jungling. However, you should be aware of using it. Having it on while you have 10% health, fighting dragon, can cause enemies to notice you are close and that could cause you, or an ally a death. So please be aware if it is toggled on or not or you could possibly be killed or they could know you are approaching, so try to activate while beginning a gank, just before you appear.
Along with the new masteries, the jungle has been changed also a significant amount, such as the monsters respawn at an increased rate than before.
Here are maps that show some routes through the jungle that you could test and find the one that works for the best one for you.
Here is a nice video that includes some nice tips as well, but is slightly out dated. But if it helps you out, please subscribe and like the video to support the creator.
Team work is absolutely essential to win any game with any champion but especially plays a very important role on champions who are jungling. Without good teamwork your ganks can be completely ineffective and pointless, causing either yourself or your ally a death or loss in farm and no one wants that. So here are a few pointers to help out teamwork while ganking and getting the attention of your teammates.
1. First off it's very important that your teammates are aware of you moving into their lane to get a gank before you even arrive there. It can cause serious issues if you arrive and no one is aware that you were even ganking. So just ping a couple of times if you feel that typing, "ganking bot" for example, will take to much time and you only have a small window of opportunity. If you still aren't sure if they noticed your presence just ping a few more times or type if you have to, good communication is key to successful ganks.
2. Ganking is a little more difficult on Warwick because he has no CC at all until he gains either his Infinite Duress or until you are able to buy Frozen Mallet which won't be for a long time unless you are completely fed, but still highly unlikely before you reach even level 6. So to counter this, say you have an Annie mid, you have to be able to coordinate her stun with the gank so you both will be able to get a successful kill and assist. Now other jungles can appear at the same time you are ganking, and a lot of the other jungles do have a hard form of CC immediately before gaining their ulti, such as Amumu with Bandage Toss, which makes it significantly harder for you as Warwick to counter him with no CC. Just make sure you are able to time your spells effectively with your allies CC so it will be more effective.
3. Be Positive! I can't express how important this is to the game, to remain positive and hopeful that your team can bring itself back from a bad situation. Even if you know that you are going to lose, give helpful pointers to teammates who were having trouble with a specific champion. I've played many normal games and ranked since the closed beta all those years ago, and to be negative towards someone for trying a new champion and not doing the greatest isn't right. I know we all want to win, but the point of the game is to have fun, and in my opinion meet people and learn how to work better with one another. So stay positive and just have a good time playing champions you love!
Warwick is an amazing champion and if played correctly can really carry a team to victory either by being beefy and healing so much in a fight that he doesn't die, or to be that assassin in the background who drops down on the ap/ad carry and destroys them, then proceeds to rip apart everyone else. I hope after trying out my build and studying my guide here that all of you will come to appreciate this champion like I do.
Also, please check out my youtube channel with my friends, just starting it up, we do casting, and just play the game and have fun! Please subscribe and like our videos!
MOBAFire is a strategy guide tool and community for League of Legends, an online battle arena style game based on Defense of the Ancients, a popular mod for Warcraft 3.
LoL fans are encouraged to explore our vast library of user generated champion build guides to enhance their battlefield strategy. Learn new, effective, winning strategy from players dominating the field.
League of Legends is a team based, real time strategy game set in a mythical world of swords & magic where epic battles decide the fate of mystical nations. Game players take on the role of a Summoner who conjures and controls champions to fight for them at the Institute of War. During game play champions gain experience and items to enhance their skills and abilities. How players develop and play their champions can be the difference between a crushing defeat or a glorious victory!