Wukong General Guide by Saxtus
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Solo Top Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hey guys, this is my second guide here on Mobafire, and it's for Wukong. I really enjoy playing Wukong Solo Top. It's probably my favorite. Wukong is a very strong champion, with great abilities and potential if played right. Wukong is the champion I got my first ever Penta-Kill with, which is when I fell in love with him.
I now present you with my guide to Wukong, my favorite champion. :)
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Great Farming ability
+ Great harass
+ Great Escape Abilities
+ Great Burst
+ Amazing Ultimate
+ Pretty Small mana costs
- Squishy Early Game
- Easy to Kill early game if W is on Cooldown
- You have to play Wukong well to do good.
- Mana Hungry if you're constantly harassing early game.
This is my standard AD Hero Mastery, so I use it with Wukong. I like playing Wukong as an AD champion over a bruiser because this maximizes his damage output. I take Randuin's Omen late game for added tankiness, but otherwise I stick to mainly AD items and Masteries. I take Summoner's Wrath for added benefits to both summoner spells (if you chose Ghost over Flash)
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: I choose this because of the good amount of AD it provides, giving a good boost to your early game harass.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: I take this over the Armor Pen mark because of the extra damage you get early game, to help harass with your combo.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: I take this glyph for the extra boost to survivability against APC and AP champions. If you want, take the Scaling MR runes over these.
- Greater Seal of Armor: I take this seal because it provides a boost to your early game defense, and helps reduce some damage from the enemy champions harass.
Ghost: Ghost is a great choice for Wukong, it provides a solid speed boost, and can help you get in range for your Nimbus Strike, Crushing Blow combo, as well as get out if your Decoy doesn't put the distance you need between you and your chasers.
Ignite: I take Ignite because it helps secure the kill early game, and provides a decent healing reduction (if you need to use it to counter somebody's ultimate like Dr. Mundo's).
Flash: I prefer Ghost for Wukong, but if you don't like Ghost, or just think Flash is much better, then take this as your summoner spell.
Ability Explanation and Sequence
- Stone Skin: Wukong's passive provides a survivability boost when surrounded by enemy champions.
- Crushing Blow (Q): Your main damage ability. Crushing Blow provides a great harass when combined with Nimbus Strike. It provides some armor reduction as well, helping you damage people down a bit faster when you're in a 1v1.
- Decoy (W): This is your main escape tool, as well as one of your great initiators if you choose it to be. This should be used every time you harass early game, so you can attempt to make the enemy champion waste some skill on the decoy, rather than you.
- Nimbus Strike (E): This is your main gap closer. This combined with Crushing Blow is a devastating combo. This also helps when farming as it hits up to 2 nearby targets. This also provides a decent attack speed boost.
- Cyclone (R): Your amazing Ultimate. This provides a knockup, as well as great damage output and a minor speed boost. As some people would say "SPIN TO WIN". Which can absolutely be the case with Wukong and his ultimate.
Ability Sequence Order
|The Ultimate always has priority. You skill sequence should look something like E -> Q -> W (not including Cyclone). Your Nimbus Strike and Crushing Blow have great damage outputs, and are maxed first. Nimbus Strike is first because of the better damage output at rank 5 in the lower levels. Crushing Blow is second because it doesn't provide the great damage output until you have some items. Decoy is last because it is used for utility, and doesn't provide that great of damage.|
: I mainly get this just for the extra harassing ability. I normally sell this at around 30 minutes into the game, or after I get Trinity Force, just because there is no need for any potions at that point in the game.
: Provides Tenacity to help reduce CC, also provides some magic resist. This is interchangeable with Ninja Tabi if you're having troubles up top.
: Provides armor pen, provides some health, and cooldown reduction. Great in combination with your Crushing Blow
: Trinity Force provides great damage output with its Sheen type proc, as well as a passive slow.
: Provides you with life steal and a great amount of AD with full stacks.
: Provides a good use, as well as some decent health, armor, and a pretty nice passive.
- : This provides some armor, magic resist, and a good passive. I take this, because the armor and MR helps, but also because the passive provides a nice utility if you get downed in a team fight, but you can help turn the tide when you get revived
: Your second choice for boots, you can choose between these and Mercury's Treads. Normally take these only if you're having troubles in your lane.
: I'd normally only take this item if the other team is building armor, and you're not doing much damage until The Black Cleaver stacks are maxed.
: I'd take this one if their AP Carry is fed, and you don't have much a chance to survive, or if you're getting burst down with a bunch of magic damage.
: I'd take this if you need some major lifesteal, or you're team is in need of some sustained AoE damage. I wouldn't recommend taking this as a staple item.
: You should really only take this item if the other team is building nothing but health. This should help you kill them faster., and provides a nice use.
- : If you're going to take this item, DO NOT TAKE Trinity Force. I'd only take this as Wukong if you're designated to be the tank, and you're the one that is initiating, otherwise just buy Trinity Force it's a much better item for Wukong.
Farming and Team Fights
As Wukong you should use your Nimbus Strike to help secure minion kills if they're too far away for you to melee. Nimbus Strike is a great tool to help with farming. I also like to use Crushing Blow to ensure the last hit on the siege minion.
|Wukong is amazing in team fights, with great AoE damage from his nimbues strike and Cyclone as well as great single target with Crushing Blow. His knockup with Cyclone can really help your team out with focusing down a target or just buying time for your ally to get away. No matter the use, Wukong's Cyclone can help you win a battle if used correctly.|
This is where you and your team should ward.
- Yellow: Vital to protect the jungler on your team
- Blue: For protection depending on which lane you're on
- Red: To guard Dragon and Baron
- Orange: In order to Counter-Jungle
|Thanks for looking at my guide to Wukong I hope you found it helpful. If you have any questions/comments/concerns/feedback, please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what it is. I will try and update this when I can, or if I find a better build that works with Wukong.
SPECIAL THANKS: Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, as well as the warding image, which you can find here.