Xerath Build Guide by StreetDA
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I´m playing Xerath from his introduction to League of Legends, so I want to share my build with you.However It´s my first build here, so leave some comments.
Pros / Cons
+ Long rage = Great farmer
+ Very high Splash damage
+ Fits every lane
+ His passive ability
- Focused in team-fights
- Not a good escaped ability
- As almost all mages he is squishy
Here I will show You possible rune build.U can test different mix of these to find which fits You better.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration I don´t think there is any other possible way to go.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration Xerath needs a lot of power to harras and perform huge damage so I´m taking these runes to solve early game mana problems.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Ability Power as Xerath profits from his ability power You can take these to make him deal more damage and get more armor,if You want to go tanking build...grab this.
- Greater Seal of Ability Power another AP boost, but it is worst then other two mentioned above.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power as AP mage u need this to get high damage and it also rises your armor through game.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction this can be used for lowering your Cds but I think one slot for item is better then waste additional AP.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power I can hardly find anything better for AP mage, this is just need.
There are many possibilities, which depends on your game style, your teamnates pick and your experiences.I can only show you which summoners spells I´m going with, but finnal decision is up to you.
- Flash As Xerath you are squishy and available to avoid stuns and CCs so I take flash to quickly flash out off gang or preventing to gang.It is nice to flash and quickly stun your enemy too.
- Exhaust with combination with Flash I can simply do not let the enemy escape easily out of my range.
- Clarity this spell is worth taking only if You don`t have any mana regeneration runes.Later in game You will head for mana regen items as for blue buff.
- Ignite as Xerath has good splash damage I`m not sure if You need something like, especially when You are not mostly so close to use it.
- Ghost if You are experienced and quick enough You can take this and use it with combination with your Locus of Power getting really nice speed boost like Kennen.
- Cleanse arguable spell for Xerath, because You should stay in back and pop your Arcane Barrage from range, still someone can find usage in this.
- Doran's Ring this item helps You solve early game mana problems as quite rising you AP
- Sorcerer's Shoes movement boost and additional magic penetration, another possible pick is Ionian Boots of Lucidity if You want to sacrifice magic penetration
- Rabadon's Deathcap this item is expensive, but definitely worth.Boost of your AP is great and it`s basic item for AP mage like Xerath
- Void Staff additional magic penetration item,if u don`t have Sorcerer's Shoes grab this for sure, other way, You can grab Archangel's Staff
- Deathfire Grasp cooldown reduction item which definitely finds it`s place and It`s active ability can help You take down enemy champs
- Banshee's Veil basically surviving item as Xerath doesn`t need any armor rising items You need at least one MR item
Xerath is one of the most best farmer in game.
If you are on mid, try last hitting minions and if You have good chance for scoring multiple last hit and harras your enemy , strike with your Arcanopulse. Even if u can´t hit your enemy but You see three minions on low HP strike with Arcanopulse. Because it´s long range, even without Locus of Power, you will be able to farm much faster then your enemy.
Late in game, when you got your Arcane Barrage and You want to fast push through minions wave You can use your Locus of Power for long range multiple hit on minions and then strike with your Arcane Barrage to finish off a huge wave of minions at once. Someone can say me> "It´s a waste of Your ultimate, but on lvl 11 You will have so low Cds It doesn´t matter anyway.
If you are facing Morgana or Brand on mid lane, try to position yourself behind minions to prevent getting snared or stunned. Go back, find a good spot, pop your Locus of Power followed by your Arcanopulse and then again press W. Once You learn this, You will be successful at farming.
I will shortly describe how I´m using my abilities.
Early game before lvl 6
I`m taking this stance everytime I can get 3 and more minion kills and hit my enemy at once. Once I have my Mage Chains ready to use, I`m firing Arcanopulse to hit enemy, popping out Locus of Power followed by my Mage Chains and again firing my Arcanopulse.
It needs some practise, but once you learn this, You will be last hitting minions and get your opponent stunned and highly damaged.
Mid/Late game lvl 6+
I just keep harrasing with my Arcanopulse getting last hits and damaging my enemy,
but I´m letting him push, go get him closer to my tower. Once he is on half HP I´m using Flash and popping Exhaust followed by my Mage Chains. After I take a first shot from my Arcane Barrage, followed by Arcanopulse and Locus of Power, your target is stunned so You can surely hit by your Arcanopulse. After Arcanopulse I continue with other two shots from my [Arcane Barrage]] and finishing enemy off by Arcanopulse.
Your enemy will maybe got away a bit, but you are in long range mode and You can easily score long range hit.
Well, that´s all I can share with you Summoners.
It isn`t definitely the best Build on the world and it didn´t mention to be.It gives you better look about Xerath`s gameplay and some advices. Xerath is funny, nicely done champ, which is good at farming and powerfull team member.Because of his long he can iniciate or finish teamfight with some real damage. However It takes some time to master Xerath. After all without good teamnates you are not able to do much.
PS: Don´t forget that You are not having the largest range in a game, your range is only 550 and You can still get raped by Caitlyn and more others.
I hope you guys enjoy this build. Feel free to leave comments.