Janna Build Guide by DarkJavelin
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Final Build Example 1
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Janna with this build
|Miss Fortune||MF's only mobility is her slow, which isn't much for her. So when having her cornered she can't really get away. Especially since if she is attacked her passive is cancelled. That along with a slow makes her an easy target.|
Riding The Winds With Janna
|Hello fellow summoners, DarkJavelin here. It's been a long time since I posted something here due to real problems that kept me away from league. Now that I am back I got back into the groove of things and got back into the game learning everything that I need to about season 4. Today we are going to discuss Janna, one of my main support champs that I played in both Season 3 and Season 4. So without further delay, let's begin.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Great Crowd Control
+ Great disengage on unwanted teamfights
+ Ult can heal entire teammates greatly
+ Can stop chases
+ Can also shield turrets with her Eye Of The Storm
+ Can make ganks more difficult by pushing enemy jungler away with Monsoon
The laning phase can go easy with Janna with a little practice. Since Janna has so much CC she can easily knock up enemies with Howling Gale and slow them with Zephyr. She can engage and disengage enemies with her ADC with use of Monsoon which will either push the enemy away or towards where they need to be positioned for kills. It can also separate the enemy ADC from their support or even separate crucial opponents in teamfights from their teammates to be singled out easier. Janna can be a big use to her team because of this and if someone is being chased she can easily tornado the opponent so that they will stop the chase. If they still manage to close the distance the ult is always available as a second option. Janna's abilities can be useful in many ways as needed to turn things around. Her Eye Of The Storm can not only shield herself and allies but also friendly turrets to endure more damage.
- No strong poke game
- Very squishy
- Constant or Hard CC from enemies still can get Janna killed
- High Cooldown time
- Cannot shield inhibitors or Nexus
- Best way to help get kill assists involves risky maneuver of getting behind the enemy and using ult (Can easily lead to focused).
Hard CC spells like stuns, snares, and roots can be very bad news for Janna due to their durations which leaves Janna little time to get away. Although her kit is based around getting away and being protected from damage, some champions can get past that fairly easily. Even when playing Janna in a sense of aggression she doesn't have strong pokes that deal good damage unless you build straight AP (but since this is a support build, that won't be used). Janna's skills have high cooldown times which means that they can't be thrown out as often as other champs' moves( Karma's Q). Since Janna is a squishy champion she cannot take too many hits from others, especially champs that hurt very badly early game. Example of constant CC would be Ashe's Q active and constantly slowing down Janna so that she can't get away. Even her ult can keep Janna from escaping which just means that running early is the best bet to avoid such death. Sometimes the most effective way to play Janna also means the most risky, by putting your own life in danger for your ADC or other teammate to get the kill and feed off of your sacrifice.
|Janna support is all about assisting your ADC to the best of your ability without dying. If you are to die be sure that your ADC does not get killed as well so distract the enemy to the best of your abilities as well. Since Janna must rely on her ability powers so heavily to either slow, knock up, or push the enemy cooldown can be a big help to her.
can assist with that, that combined with your Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction will help you keep the CD to a minimum so that they are available right when you need them. A little extra survivability while keeping much of your utilities doesn't hurt either so putting four points in defense helps Janna survive a little longer.
will give a little more survivability to Janna so that she may endure a little more and get away easier. Though this does not mean to just do anything, you still have to play carefully. Also, since Janna is playing support in this role, your main focus is to make sure you do little damage but enough to where the ADC doesn't have to feel like it's a big risk to attack the enemy after your initiation. Putting just a little in offense can help with that. Combined with your items they will do a significant amount of damage while leaving enough health for the ADC to take the kill and you to get away. Be respectable of that, every kill counts in helping you win your lane and making your ADC the better damage dealer in a teamfight. Though this might make your lane the prime target for ganks remember to use the extra gold from your utilities to buy more wards or rush sightstone in the beginning just in case.
- Greater Quintessence of Gold: Every support must find a way to gain gold over time while not taking CS from their ADC. Greater Quintessences of Gold can make it all the easier for a support like Janna to gain gold while still letting her ADC farm without much disruption. This will help her get the essential items sooner so that she can be more effective in lane and teamfights when needed.
- Greater Mark of Armor: Although not the ideal way to have armor it still works. Armor will still be available when facing an enemy ADC ensuring your survivability a little longer than usual.
- Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction: Since Janna's abilities have high CD, it's best to have these runes to use so that you will be able to help in any way possible at any time without the worry of a long wait. Being that I use Janna to harass this is most ideal for me but you are welcome to take the other route and keep magic resist or give some ability power within these glyphs.
- Greater Seal of Gold: The more gold the sooner you can get your items done and be more helpful to your team. Mostly rush your Sightstone to have constant vision on the map. This is mandatory with any support all the better with having sweeping lens to destroy enemy wards. This will also help you continue to buy Vision Wards as well.
Exhaust: Along with her W slow and an exhaust, it can equal almost immediate death for the opponent. It can also make it easier for you to get behind the enemy to push them back to your ADC or turret so as to get them killed. Since it also reduces the attack of an enemy, there isn't much worry of taking bad damage from the person that is exhausted.
Flash: I HIGHLY recommend keeping flash with you at all times as this will be your escape tactic if all else begins to fail. Though at the same time this is also your risk factor. Using flash to immediately get behind your enemy and then ult them to turret or to your ADC will help greatly and turn everything in your favor. It's about timing and skill with this but if you are more defensive it's best to bring this Summoner Spell with you for quick getaways.
Clarity: I have seen the occasional support carry Clarity with them for more mana use in lane so as to harass more but it's not a lot. I used to but now that I found out how to truly play my Janna I have no use for it. I mostly carry Exhaust and combine that with my W so as to keep them from getting away.
- ABILITY: is Janna's passive that gives her and nearby champions five percent extra movement speed. This helps give Janna and allied champions extra movement speed when having to escape other teams that are trying to close in.
- ABILITY (Q): is one of Janna's best abilities to knock up enemies give you an adequate amount of time to escape from someone trying to close the gap on you or an allied champ. It becomes a big help whenever you are low on health or have the intention on saving a teammate. Howling Gale can be charged and Q can be hit again to send it out, and it will travel farther and deal more damage as a result of the charge.
ABILITY (W): A strong ability that can slow the enemy down, and deal great AP damage. This ability hits pretty hard when used in lane. I usually max my Tornado first but this is a close second since the more points in it, the more it slows them as a result. It works great when chasing down an enemy or trying to get away. This will also help your ADC rush in for greater damage while the enemy is slowed.
- ABILITY (E): Janna's shield that can be placed on turret's, herself, or allied champions to absorb a certain amount of incoming damage. This will ensure that you have the extra amount of sustain you need for the moment to get away. If losing the lane it's best to max this first so as to make sure that you and/or your adc survive enough to be able to get back into the game.
- ABILITY (R): Janna's ultimate that pushes enemies away from her and heals all allies within the field around her. Extremely useful when teammates are low on health and need to stay in lane longer or to actually push the enemies back that are chasing you or your team down for kills.
Ability Sequence Order
|Janna can be a fun support character when it comes to her abilities and how to use them. Some take a little creative judgement and quick thinking and timing. Janna can be aggressive even though a lot will say that's not usually the case. It will just take more skill and timing to do so in order to get the upper hand. Howling Gale usually does not work when it comes to chasing so it's all about landing Zephyr in crucial moments to make sure the enemy does not get far from you or your teammates. She has the kit to be a great support it's up to you how you actually use it.|
|I've recently put Frozen Heart as my main armor and mana supply for her which she will need in the game. Going with this item along with Mikael's built pretty early will help her a ton when still laning with the ADC. The necessary mana needed to keep constant tornadoes going and still having enough for Monsoon when needed is something to take in account.|
|If going up against hard CC this item can be used to help get you away or help the team close in on the enemy fast enough so they can't escape. This combined with more items to help resist such CC will be a big help.|
My Janna Games
Laning With Janna
|In conclusion, Janna is a great support character in the right hands. I hope my build will help someone get used to her in some way. You don't have to exactly play like I described, it's just food for thought. Everyone has their own playstyles and ways they go about building. You are welcome to tweak what you want with this and give feedback. So far I have won many games with Janna even though she is not my MAIN main support.
I hope this will be of help to you and remember folks for only 2.95 a minute Janna can leave YOU breathless. ;D
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.