Zac Build Guide by demonlordraiden
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
General Purpose Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Chapter I: Introduction
Hello fellow Summoners! I am demonlordraiden, and this is my guide to Zac, the Gelatinous Mother...oh, wait... Zac, the Secret Weapon! Zac was the newest Champion in the League of Legends at the time of my posting this initially, and since then, I stand firm that this is one of the preferable ways to play the Jell-O'nator.
Before we continue, I just want to input a little about me:
My Summoner Name is demonlordraiden on the NA Server of League of Legends. I primarily play Junglers and Top Laners. I am currently not even Ranked yet (Bronze V for Ranked 3v3 Team), as I feel I need to get rid of my anger and raging first. I started playing right before the Lulu release patch, and I've been Level 30 for around a year. I was almost in Silver Division in Season 2, but as of Season 3, I've only played 4 Solo-Que Games.
Chapter II: Lore
Zac is the product of a Zaun experiment to manufacture a hexchem-engineered supersoldier – the Zaun Amorphous Combatant. Combining brute strength with limitless flexibility, he is a versatile juggernaut: a creative fighter who bounces over obstacles and pounds his foes into submission. Though he was created inside a weapons laboratory, Zac was rescued and adopted by two loving parents who raised him to be a kind and friendly child. As the years passed, he grew up to be a fierce hero, sworn to protect the ordinary, everyday people of Zaun.
Long ago, two Zaun scientists developed an organic substance that could withstand extreme conditions, spontaneously alter its biological structure, and generate tremendous amounts of kinetic force. As the scientists, husband and wife, watched the prototype grow from a spoon-sized droplet to a small blob, they noticed that their creation would respond to their presence. It sprung forward when they called and bounced when they sang. The couple began to see more than an experiment; they saw a small child, filled with affection and joy.
After testing the prototype one evening, the scientists placed the blob back in its cage. It slouched and shuddered in the corner, inconsolably sad. At that moment, the couple realized that their beloved creation wished for a free life outside the lab. They were struck by their conscience and could not allow the prototype to be used as a weapon. The husband and wife fled with the young blob, replacing its weapon designation – Zaun Amorphous Combatant – with a proper name: Zac. In a quiet neighborhood far from the cities of Zaun, the scientists raised Zac as their own child.
Zac was always different from the other children. None had his powers of strength and flexibility, so the couple taught him to tell right from wrong and to use his gifts responsibly. Thanks to the care and affection of his loving parents, Zac lived a peaceful, happy childhood.
That childhood ended when the Zaun laboratory finally found Zac. Unable to replicate the formula used to create the amorphous prototype, the laboratory’s staff never stopped searching for the scientists and their experiment. When they tracked down the family, they threatened to tear it apart. The staff abducted Zac’s parents and demanded that the couple assist in his capture and return. Seized by the fear of losing his freedom and his parents, Zac unleashed every ounce of his raw energy and mass for the very first time. He subdued his parents’ captors, sent the laboratory’s workers fleeing, and brought his loved ones home. From then on, Zac vowed to defend all ordinary lives threatened by extraordinary treachery and wickedness. Originally built to destroy, he now protects the innocent and the helpless.
"Even if you don’t have a spine, you still have to stand up for yourself."
Chapter III: Pros / Cons
- Zac has great ganking potential with Stretching Strike, Elastic Slingshot, Let's Bounce, and the Passive of Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
- Zac is one tanky s.o.b while only building some tankiness.
- Zac has quick cleartimes via Unstable Matter.
- Zac's Passive, Cell Division, will save you so often.
- But most importantly, he's friggin' Flubber!
- Zac players need to remember to pick up the bloblets dropped by his abilities.
- Zac's Abilities use his health as a resource, which can kill you if you aren't careful.
Chapter IV: Summoner Spells
- Exhaust is great for the ganks.
- Flash can be good depending on the situation, but the same goes for Ghost.
- Smite is one of the only spells you CAN take on Jungle Zac.
- Ignite can be good depending on whether you feel the need for it.
Chapter V: Items
Well, while a majority was shown above in the beginning, I'll now justify my opinions.
For the General Purpose Zac: Not much to explain here.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity will help you be able to use Elastic Slingshot and Let's Bounce more often.
- Spirit Visage is essential for any good Zac, making the bloblets on his Cell Division heal him for even more.
- Iceborn Gauntlet is a fun item on Zac. The Sheen proc will help with farming and ganks, while the slow passive and the armor bonus will help you fight and chase.
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter is pretty good on Zac as well, due to it's slow passive to go onto Unstable Matter and Elastic Slingshot. On top of that, +500 Health is never a bad thing for Zac.
- Sunfire Cape helps Zac farm, but it also helps him in fights. Again, 'dat health bonus.
- Rabadon's Deathcap is essential for any AP Champion, and Zac is no different. Imagine his damage output.
For the AP-Offtank Zac:
- Mercury's Treads are great if you are being focused by stuns, snares, roots, etc.
- Warmog's Armor is great on Zac in general, but especially a tanky Zac.
For the AP-Jungle Zac:
- Spirit of the Ancient Golem is good due to it's health boosting abilities, but...
- Spirit of the Spectral Wraith is also great due to it's damage boost.
Chapter VI: Masteries
The Masteries here are pretty basic. 21/9/0 will help with Zac's early game HP, while maximizing his AP Damage; 15/15/0 makes Zac even more tanky, while keeping his AP well off; 0/21/9 is a stereotypical Jungler page, and this of course helps with the Jungling.
Chapter VII: Runes
Like the Masteries, these Runes are quite standard. The Health Runes used are pretty great (but Armor can be used as well), the Magic Resistance is essential, and the AP Damage is just glorious.
- Greater Mark of Scaling Ability Power make Zac a happy blob.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Health OR Greater Seals of Scaling Armor make Zac more durable, whether in general or against AD Champions.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resistance make Zac more durable versus AP Champions.
- Greater Quintessence of Scaling Ability Power, Greater Quintessence of Scaling Health, or Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed all make Zac great, each in their own way. AP makes him hurt, Health makes him heal more, and Movement Speed makes his ganks great.
Again, the Runes are more of a guideline. These depend on your play style.
Chapter VIII: Skills
Passive: Cell Division
Each time Zac hits an enemy with an ability, he sheds a chunk of himself that can be reabsorbed to restore 4% of his maximum health.
Upon taking fatal damage, Zac splits into 4 chunks that attempt to recombine. If any of these chunks remain after 8 seconds, he will revive with 10-50% health depending on the health of the surviving chunks. Each chunk has 12% of Zac's maximum health, and 50% of his armor and magic resistance. This effect cannot happen again for 300 seconds.
Q: Stretching Strike
Active: Zac lashes out with an elastic punch, dealing magic damage to all enemies hit and slowing them for 2 seconds.
W: Unstable Matter
Active: Zac's body erupts, dealing magic damage equal to a base amount plus a percentage of their maximum health to all nearby enemies (max 200 damage against minions and monsters).
E: Elastic Slingshot
Active: Zac faces the cursor and begins channeling. After channeling or after reactivating the ability he launches himself towards the target location, dealing magic damage to all enemies hit and knocking them back for 0.5 seconds. The maximum range of Elastic Slingshot increases based on how long Zac channels.
Can be cancelled by moving; refunding 50% of the health cost.
R: Let's Bounce
Active: Zac leaps into the air and begins to bounce on the ground, up to a maximum of 4 bounces. Each bounce deals magic damage to nearby enemies, knocks them up for 1 second, and slows them by 20% for 1 second. Enemies hit more than once take half damage and are not knocked up.
Zac gains an accelerating movement speed buff (20-50%) and 75% crowd control reduction while active (does not reduce Suppression). Zac can right-click to move while in the air. While active, Zac is unable to activate Stretching Strike or Elastic Slingshot.
Chapter IIX: Creeping / Jungling
Zac has amazing potential in the Jungle. Start with Elastic Slingshot, followed by Unstable Matter, and then Stretching Strike. Make sure to Auto-Attack in between for the Sheen passive to proc.
Pretty simple, eh?
Chapter IX: Elastic Slingshot
I feel that Elastic Slingshot deserved it's own chapter. Use this for ganks. USe this for minions. Use this to escape. Use this to chase. Use this from brush to jump into mid-lane. Even better, the range gets more insane as you level it.
Chapter X: Summary
Well, this is my take on Zac. You may see him differently, but this is just my view of how to use him. If you liked this/if this helped you, up it and comment, if not, tell my why below.