Zyra Build Guide by Mr. Phone Booth
Not Updated For Current Season
Final Build Offensive
Not Updated For Current Season
Welcome to the most up to date Zyra support guide. Just a little bit about myself and my connection with League of Legends. I have been playing League of Legends since the end of 2011 when Fizz was realsed, immediately I began playing support, I began playing with Karma, however, when Zyra was realsed she became my main support. I have been playing Zyra through both her periods of glory and her few periods of failure and have never been disappointed in her ability to output sustained damage and her ability to protect her allies.
Just a note, I understand that many people just read the overview of a guide but before you condemn me for my choices, please read my explanations in the respective sections and give me some constructive feedback.
Pros and Cons
+ Long range snare.
+ Summoned plants can block skill shots.
+ Can deal true damage after death.
+ Strong initiation ability.
+ Free 10% cooldown reduction when Rampant Growth is maxed.
- Majority of her skills are skill shots which require practice.
- Low base health and mana pools.
- Has no way to heal allies without specific items or summoner spells.
- Flash As with most champions, Flash is a must. It allows you to secure kills for your team, allows you to jump over walls to escape and to initiate team fights with your ultimate.
- Exhaust By adopting both an offensive and defensive summoner spell such as Exhaust, you will be able to slow those escaping enemies that cling onto life, or reduce the output of the enemy ADC when they are focusing your own team.
Viable Summoner Spells
- Clairvoyance Even if you are able to ward half of the map, you will often find that there is that one patch of brush that you cannot ward and will obviously contain the 5 members of the other team, patiently waiting for someone like your ADC to face check the brush, by using Clairvoyance you can check these little patches without fear.
- Ghost In all honesty, Ghost is has more uses than Flash, the duration is longer, you can get further away and close the gap between you and your enemy much faster, however, unlike Flash, it is predictable that you are going to initiate as the effect can be seen.
- Heal In the recent patch, Heal has now become much more viable to the point where Barrier is now completely useless. Whilst it is viable on Zyra, it is much more viable on the ADC, which then nullifies the viability of using Heal on Zyra due to the reduced effect.
- Ignite Zyra is an aggressive support, she has no heal or mana restoration abilities, and with the current meta of supports with heals such as Sona and Soraka, Ignite is a very useful ability, however, with the abundant use of Heal the main component of Ignite; the healing reduction is negated.
Unviable Summoner Spells
- Barrier With the current benefits of Heal; such as the bonus movement speed, removal of heal reductions and the healing effect, the benefits of Barrier are pretty much useless.
- Clarity Whilst Zyra does not have a large mana pool and it can be hard to manage her mana issues, once you grab your Chalice or Harmony for Mikael's Crucible you should be able to manage your mana.
- Cleanse You have a Mikael's Crucible, which essentially acts as Cleanse, if you are somehow being consistently being caught out with stuns and snares then you should be thinking about your play style not your summoner spells.
- Revive The only champion that I can say actually needs Revive is Karthus, and even then it is debatable. You are not a martyr, you should avoid dying in most circumstances.
- Smite I am not going to say that you cannot jungle with Zyra, however, this guide is focussing on support Zyra, and hence Smite is useless.
- Teleport I have seen supports take teleport and I ultimately do not see the point. You do not need to get back to your lane extremely fast as you should not be taking CS, and as a support you should not be split pushing and hence, you do not need Teleport.
Rise of the Thorns (Passive)
Deadly Bloom (Q)
After a short delay, thorns shoot from the ground at a target location, dealing magic damage to enemies within the area. If Deadly Bloom hits a seed, a Thorn Spitter grows that lasts for 10 seconds. Thorn Spitters have a long ranged attack and deal 23 + (6.5 × Zyra's level) (+ 20% Ability Power) magic damage.
Range = 800
Cooldown = 7/6.5/6/5.5/5
Cost = 75/80/85/90/95 Mana
Magic Damage = 70/105/140/175/210 (+ 65% Ability Power)
Deadly Blood is Zyra's main form of a poke, combined with her Rampant Growth, you can dish out a considerable amount of damage.
Rampant Growth (W)
Grasping Roots (E)