Leona Build Guide by minonono
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
Hello guys, welcome to my guide on Leona! Before I begin, I would like to give a short introduction of myself. My Summoner name is Minonono and I have been playing since the start of Season 2. I currently do not have any ELO because I have neglected to start my "ranked" games. So please, do not judge me on that behalf. Although I lack the true experience of a ranked player, I know a lot about my champion. Without any further adieu, I give you my guide on Leona! (:
Leona should be played solely as a support. Yes, she's an amazing tank. However, tanky builds (check out Meji's guide) are highly improbable of acquiring on Leona. I have read Meji's guide on Leona and I'm quite bewildered by it. There is no way in heck that a Leona can acquire 17,105 gold for her build. Where is a Leona going to acquire that gold, solo top? I don't think so. She'll get mauled by most of the Solo Tops due to her inability to sustain. Anyways, you would have to be doing surprisingly well, if not perfect. Let's be more realistic. Your matches will not be like that.
I will present a more realistic approach when playing Leona.
Pros / Cons
- Naturally Tanky
- High CC
- Amazing Zoning Ability
- High Mobility
- Helpful Passive
- Excellent Utility
- Requires that you land "E" or "R"
- Jumping the "wrong" target can be detrimental
- Requires split-second decisions
- When you go in... you go in!
Why Magic Pen?
- Leona's skills are mainly scaled off of AP. Although your damage is considerably low, do not underestimate the power of magic pen. The damage that you and your AD Carry dish out should be more than enough to draw blood on the opposing AD Carry or Support.
- Armor is essential on Leona. You will take a lot of harass in lane. If you cannot sustain yourself, you will be greatly under-leveled and your carry will pay the price. So please, do your Carry a favor and get some armor!
Why Magic Resist?
- Magic resist is awesome on Leona. It provides more sustain during the lane phase. You never know when you are gonna get hit by that flying spear.
Why Movement Speed?
- I thought you would never ask! This gives Leona amazing movement speed. Hence, the name of my guide! Movement speed is an important component on Leona. It helps her get to locations more quickly and makes it much easier to dodge projectiles. More importantly, it allows you to use her as an Utility Support. I will explain this later on in the guide.
- This Summoner Spell is truly amazing. I like to think of it as the play-maker. It can be used for fight or flight. This allows Leona to perform amazing initiations as well as breath-taking pick-offs.
- Not a bad Summoner Spell. It gives great mobility and allows you to ignore enemy collision. Perfect for chasing and running, but not too great for initiating a team fight. It has its advantages over flash.
- Great spell for wrecking AD carries or any champions that rely on attack speed. Wrecks opposing enemy's positioning response. Combined with your Ult and Q, they are definitely not getting away!
- ULTIMATE BRAVERY?! No.
- Leona runs out of MP? Since when?! If your AD carry needs you to take it, they are doing it wrong.
- Based on the situation. Take this if your AD Carry has Exhaust. If not, do not bother taking this spell. Reason being, you are not supposed to KS the kills. If the opposing team happens to have champions such as Vladimir or Dr. Mundo, please take this spell. You'll thank me for it later!
- If you like to push, take this. Be weary of ganks.
- This Summoner Spell is kind of viable on Leona. It can help set up amazing plays, but I believe it just requires too much. You will probably not be able to use this Spell to its full potential because it is very situational. You are better off with Exhaust.
- Wooo map hacks! This is perfect for vision if you cannot readily drop a ward. Quite useful for scouting! Get this if you want to help your Jungler or if you are afraid of people in the bush. I personally prefer Exhaust over it because Leona can better utilize it.
- Not a bad spell. Perfect for baiting or clutch saving your teammates.
- Mine as well take with you. Naw, I'm kidding. Don't take this spell unless you intend to die repeatedly.
- Jungle Leona actually works! Buuuut... I'm not going to mention that in this guide.
- Hmm... not really that useful. You want to be focused. (:
Although I took the time to analyze all the Summoner Spells, I believe the best two Summoner Spells that go together are Flash and Exhaust for Leona.
- Use it with exhaust and it's like they never had defense!
- More magic resist? I'll take it!
- Perfect for taking more harass, a must!
- Getting more HP to sustain with isn't a bad idea!
- This goes great with your Philosopher Stone. More sustain!
- Free HP? I'll take it!
- Movement Speed is important if you want to "catch" people.
- Your skills have long CD. Getting this will reduce it quite nicely.
- HP increase and a disable reduction... WORTH IT.
- Helps to reduce Flash's CD.
- A bigger mana pool isn't a bad idea.
- More movement speed! Gotta get that zooooooom!
There are several mastery trees that are viable with Leona. If you prefer to be more passive, you can go 0/9/21. Otherwise, you can be aggressive with the mastery tree that I have above.
-> -> ->
Skill Sequence Explained:
1. Solar Flare: You don't always need to initiate with this skill; you can start with Zenith Blade)
2. Zenith Blade: Used to "jump" in and apply your passive.
3. Eclipse: Activate this the moment you jump in. It provides you with 70 armor and magic resist when maxed.
4. Shield of Daybreak: Your stun. Hit it, they die. I like to think of Leona as Death. You pretty much choose who dies. (:
There are no set item builds for Leona. You build for the situation. However, there are some core items that I always like to get on Leona.
Why did you get over ?
- There is no simple answer to this. Choosing either boots will present you with pros and cons. However, I believe you will get the most benefit out of Boots of Mobility (BoM). BoM is better in my opinion because it uses Movement Speed as a utility. I have focused my mastery tree on the basis of Movement Speed. Movement Speed comes with its perks. You can quickly assist members of your team who are dying and need assistance. It also helps you ward certain places so you can get in and out in a jiffy. The only drawback is that you will be more prone to CC (Crowd Control). I do not see this much as a drawback because if you have enough Movement Speed, you can avoid being caught. Basically, you dodge their CC and go in with yours when theirs is down. There will be situations where you will be caught regardless of what you do. If you want to take a safer route, Mercs are great for Magic Resist and CC Reduction.
shurelya's reverie - This can be used for a fight or flight response. You can activate this so you gain insane Movement Speed to catch your target or run from your opponents due to a misplace in position. It would be in the interest for you to get this item.
- A great item to punish physical attackers that whale on you. It also provides great defense, health, and CDR. The Active Ability is absolutely amazing when combined with your combo!
- Although it does not give god-like stats, your teammates will be glad that you have it. It helps to provide more support for your team. Great item!
- This is a situational item. Gives magic resist and... MOVEMENT SPEED! Only get this item if the opposing team is AP heavy.
* There are other viable items for Leona. Remember... build for the situation. Do not blindly follow my build order. For example, if your team is mainly dying to the opposing AP Carry, build Force of Nature instead of Randuins*.
During the laning phase, you will need to zone out the opposing bottom lane. If you have little or no knowledge of what zoning is, please take a look at the video guide below. Credit goes to Shurelia.
Any Questions, Comments, Concerns?
This is my first guide on MobaFire. I know that it's probably not the most organized thing in the world, but I hope you can learn something from reading it.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to post below or send me a private message on MobaFire! (:
Constructive criticism is welcomed!