Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

A Review Circle: rules and methods discussion

Creator: Teyso February 12, 2013 10:26am
1 2
Teyso
<Member>
Teyso's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2013 10:26am | Report
This thread is a discussion - among several guide reviewers - of how to go about starting a review circle, if you aren't interested in helping review, you are in the wrong place. Go find another thread to read. If you are interested in reviewing, welcome.

THIS THREAD IS NOT A PLACE TO POST REQUESTS We will open up a new thread and post a link to it here when we are ready for requests.

This first post is reserved to maintain a list of the current rules and other important information.

Suggested rules will be paraphrased in quotes below this point until the majority of the reviewers currently involved have agreed on them.

I think that people should have at least 20+ comments, and a reputation of 5.
If this comment was helpful, consider +rep-ing me :)

If I reviewed your guide it would be nice of you to review / vote on my Maokai guide, my Dominion guide or my Maokai Dominion Guide. ^_^
Teyso
<Member>
Teyso's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2013 10:39am | Report
Some starter questions:

What should be encompassed as rules all reviewers have to follow, and what should be left up to each person to decide how they want to do things?

How should we handle rude people? Should we have some sort of mass down-vote threat to people who troll vote?

Feel free to add your own questions, lets get this discussion rolling!

Cheers,
Teyso

EDIT: I suggest that we set up a separate thread for requests, when we are ready to accept requests.

If I reviewed your guide it would be nice of you to review / vote on my Maokai guide, my Dominion guide or my Maokai Dominion Guide. ^_^
Totallynotn00b
<Guide Critic>
Totallynotn00b's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2013 12:07pm | Report
Dunno what the point of this thread is.

I always saw the review section of the forums like any shops are. You look at them. If you like what they have to offer, (I.e, read the freaking first post) then ask for a review.
IF you don't, then dont.

If you got a bad review, then argue your case. If you're right, then they lose their reputation, and people won't ask them for anymore.

Like, when i ran a review service, people came to me either because they knew how much critique i gave and how much i savaged bad guides, or because they were blisfully unaware.

In either case, I, the reviewer, didn't care. IT was fair game either way.
If you, the requester, cannot be bothered to read what i have to tell you before you ask of my services, you have no right to complain about a "bad review".

TLDR

Do your homework before you ask someone for a review.
If you're good enough to write a guide, you're good enough to defend your decisions.
If you're not, then don't write a guide.
Pluckin Penguin
<Stalker>
Pluckin Penguin's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2013 12:50pm | Report
In terms of rules I think that people should have at least 20+ comments, and a reputation of 5. I think it's important that people writing guides have adventured out around the MOBAFire community. If anything looking at other guides transfers into making your own guide better.

I also think that all reviewers need to understand that the advice that we give is just our opinion. They don't have to follow it if they choose not to as it is not our guide.

Nothing else I can think of right now though.

EDIT 1 : Also, it would be preferable that all the guides submitted are in English.
Teyso
<Member>
Teyso's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2013 10:55pm | Report
@Totallynotn00b

@Pluckin Penguin

Teyso
<Member>
Teyso's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2013 11:05pm | Report
How about we include plugs for each reviewer, for example:

Username:
Review types offered: (examples include proof-reading, Aesthetics and Visuals, Coding, Organization of Information, etc...)
Pet Peeves: (AKA don't ask me to review a guide with these things in it)

etc...

I would put these as quotes in a spoiler at the top of the thread.

DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 12:16am | Report
Teyso wrote:

How should we handle rude people? Should we have some sort of mass down-vote threat to people who troll vote?

yes because telling people "DOWNVOTE THIS GUIDE CUZ HE TROLL VOTED" totally isnt against the rules or anything
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Pluckin Penguin
<Stalker>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 2:53am | Report
Teyso wrote:
However, addressing the only English parameter: I am thinking that we will have a section in the top post for each reviewer to describe what kinds of reviews we offer as well as specifics like what languages we can read, as some of us may be able to review in other languages (Not saying that I can, but maybe someone will come on-board who knows Spanish or French fluently or something like that).[/spoiler]

Yeah, that's fine.
Teyso
<Member>
Teyso's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 9:32am | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

yes because telling people "DOWNVOTE THIS GUIDE CUZ HE TROLL VOTED" totally isnt against the rules or anything

We're not telling other people to do that. I'm asking my fellow reviewers if we should down-vote a user's guide based on their behavior.

Pluckin Penguin
<Stalker>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 3:33pm | Report
Another thing that we be good to brainstorm is how we're going to layout the actual review "circle". Are we going to have just one huge post with all of the information. Are we going to have multiple posts, you get the point.
In my opinion, I would like to have a post that sets up the guidelines for getting review, and then each of us posting a brief summary about what we specialize in reviewing. It's just a thought.
What do we plan on calling our review shop?
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide