Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Beginner Question: A Good Solo Top for a Beginner

Creator: Azeb June 20, 2012 2:02pm
Which one do you think is best? Also please explain.
BluAnimal
<Member>
BluAnimal's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 20, 2012 6:47pm | Report
Garen is a great champion to start as a top laner. (That's why he's in the tutorial) He has great sustain and resistances which will be forgiving for a new player. He has good damage output regardless of how your build will be and he can bring some great tankiness late game. He also doesn't rely on runes as much as other champions, so he'd be great for anyone below level 15.

Jarvan IV is a decent champion. I still play him to this day a ton. He's a lot like Garen, with a lot of resistances. You'll need to build some items on him like philosopher's stone and Heart of Gold. He is a very passive top laner. After about 10-20 games with him you'll be landing his Dragon Strike Demacian Standard knock up 90% of the time. He's a great champion to play, but he drops off late game unfortunately. (At least the way I play him)

There's my two cents. And these are just beginner champions. Top lane can be incredibly fun when you get into some of the more difficult, yet rewarding champions. Good luck :)
TxTVira
<Member>
TxTVira's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 20, 2012 6:58pm | Report
Brush-ren and malphite comes to mind.

Just wondering why no one mentioned kennen?
Sure he's got a skill shot.
But he's a badass at solo top that's for sure.
Almost no melees will dare charge on you that makes him nearly unkillable.
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 12:40am | Report
I say Irelia out of those. But I want to suggest Riven too. Easy to pick up, hard to master, great mobility, great damage and good utility
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 3:32am | Report
Probably Garen or Malphite. People are lured into the wrong idea that Akali is easy just because of the stomping she ensues, but laning as her early on isn't that easy

albableat
<Member>
albableat's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 7:06am | Report
Malphite.

Pretty strong now, also quite simple and straightforward in mechanics.
Want to see an in-depth diamond level LeBlanc guide? Come by and check this ;) It's written by Baekstra who is a Diamond LeBlanc main on EUW and being one myself, I can vouch for it 100%!
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 8:09am | Report
Akali is probably the most fun. She has a ton of damage.
Jarvan IV is a great pick because of versatility. He can be your anti-carry, bruiser, tank.
Irelia possibly has the best chance of carrying your team by herself.
Malphite is not the easiest to win the lane with, but he has a high reward. I prefer to play him more support/roam/tank/gank assist.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 8:25am | Report
A note on Malphite though: I see A LOT of people not understanding what he is versus the way they're building him. Such as Malphites chasing accross the map versus three and dying while having a full tank build (you are not killer malphite. So don't do that ridiculous stuff), or Malphites going full ap tank and dealing great damage but not initiating or barely contributing, only eating damage they can't afford that much to take.

Point: if you want to tank Malphite, learn to tank.

Azeb
<Member>
Azeb's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 8:54am | Report
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I have decided to go with Malphite. However, the school ended today and I decided to get a little gift for myself, namely Akali. So far I enjoy both of them. I am eager to get into ranked matches. Have a nice day.
You know, now that I think about it, I've always wanted to be a baker.
cagewarrior
<Member>
cagewarrior's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 7:51pm | Report
malphite is BY far ur best choice, u can buy him with IP, and when i started playing i never BOUGHT RP! haha but do me a favor bro. think about saving up for RENEKTON or getting the RP to buy him. Jarvan is great and all, and you should play who you enjoy when you first start. I mained Malphite for a long time when i first started...but when i bought renekton....Nuff said. lets face it everyone...he IS the KING of solo top...dnt care about ur opinion srry..:( its a statistical fact that renekton is the most well balanced and reliable solo top in the game.
Jon Martens MMA
Werepirelord
<Member>
Werepirelord's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2012 7:56pm | Report
Mordekaiser is **** easy.
He just rules the lane and does'nt take a lot of experience.

I'm streets ahead. If you don't get it you're streets behind.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide