Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Can I upgrade my PC?

Creator: KingCashew July 27, 2014 8:23pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
KingCashew
<Member>
KingCashew's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 8:23pm | Report
I have a Dell Dimension 5100

Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40 GHZ
3.39 GHZ 3.62 GB of RAM

Can I upgrade to play LOL?
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:07pm | Report
3.4 GHz is more than enough to play league. The low amount of RAM you've got may be a problem, but the biggest issue that you'd have with the low amount of RAM is that you may have to close programs before starting league, or occasionally restart your computer.

Thankfully, RAM is really easy to add to a desktop, so if you're looking for a long term for this issue, you can always easily add more RAM to your desktop
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
KingCashew
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:10pm | Report
Alright I will check out the RAM. So you think their is any way I can get this PC to play at medium to high?
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:12pm | Report
Is the Pope Catholic?

Seriously what are we working with here? Do you have a low profile tower or is it full sized? How much money are you willing to spend? do you want to max out your performance you do jsut want to take up a couple notches?

I/We can't really help you out with something like this, and can only give you general advice.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:13pm | Report
KingCashew wrote:

Alright I will check out the RAM. So you think their is any way I can get this PC to play at medium to high?

For something like this you need a better video card. I'm a fan of the ATI Radeon series but they tend to be bulky and take up space that could be used for another expansion slot.

I do most of my shopping here: Newegg.com.
KingCashew
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:22pm | Report
Kazega well im not sure are all Dell Dimension 5100 considered full sized or is their a low profile one? Well just let me know what I can upgrade too I heard around that is hard to upgrade these but id like it to play LOL on high.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:33pm | Report
It's not really that hard. you just have to know enough to not **** it up.

anyway Low profile towers are small compared to standard towers, I'm talking like 12"x8"x3" or there abouts, basically a briefcase size. standard towers are more like 18"x12"x5 or so. I'm not measuring my tower to be sure though.

Based on my research though you should be able to upgrade just fine. you will need a new video card like i said earlier, you can find these at Best Buy or any Computer store and they go for 150 to 400 dollars depending on quality.

Most cards now are plug in play; Plug in the Card, Instal a driver 9Should be provided with anything you install) and have fun. Just make sure you unplug the computer and keep everything grounded to each other, Static is no bueno and these are very sensitive parts.
KingCashew
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:37pm | Report
Well I think it is a standard size. Could you give me an example of a video card I can get and wouldn't I have to change the processor I am not an expert at this kind of stuff.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 9:47pm | Report
I'm not either. I just happen to know enough to help you out.

You shouldn't have to change out the processors no matter how fancy a card you get. I'm on a 3.20 GHz Processor and I spent a fortune on my card. I even got a second card for a bit so that I could run a 3 monitor set up (most Vid cards only support 2 monitors at a time). your Processor is fine.

Ok then. how much money are you willing to spend on this?
KingCashew
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2014 10:24pm | Report
What can I get for 100$?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide