Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Champion VOs are getting a bit out of hand.

Creator: OTGBionicArm April 9, 2017 4:08am
1 2
Are they making Champion VOs too complex?
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2017 8:01am | Report
It's getting out of hand, because well, who gives a **** about League lore? Riot sure doesn't, and in actuality, no one else does.

G M D. Eats massive amounts of spaghetti.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2017 1:05pm | Report
To be fair, champion VOs are the correct way to express lore and they're using it for that quite well.

That said... they're going overboard. It's ok if you put a bunch of fight screams on a fighter like Sion, but having him scream when he buys practically any tank item makes me want to build him AD. The VOs should be slightly harder to trigger and maybe shorter for some characters.

It's good to notice here that 30 minutes of VO where 90% of it is taunts to different champions isn't going to be annoying because A) you're only playing with 9 of the 137-139 champions there are in game, so it's not like you're going to hear every minute all the time and B) a taunt/joke is something you can avoid doing by not pressing Ctrl+1/2/3. Similar thoughts for legendary/ultimate skins, you can just not use them if you don't like the VO.

The problem comes when it's triggered by events you should be doing to play properly, like buying a Ruby Crystal on a tank! (it would be interesting to put a line for a glass cannon when it buys a tank item though) or killing someone.

Also, maybe Riot has released way too many chatterboxes lately. They should drop the amount of unavoidable VOs for those anyways...
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2017 1:21pm | Report
I think more VO is proper. In a real world scenario, some giant undead killer isn't gonna just stay silent, it's gonna be commenting and making noises as they do things. Besides, worst case you can just lower champion volumes.
Thank you Jovy for this bomb *** sig!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2017 8:33pm | Report
Sion's VO never bothered me. Maybe it's just that his VO is clear to his character and makes sense. I'm more concerned about the "silly" champions getting a lot of lines like that.

Have you heard Rakan's voice? He's Chris Tucker levels of annoying.
Xayah? It's like they told the voice actress "Do your best to talk like Aubrey Plaza in Parks & Rec for every line."

And true you can just mute the voices, but that kind of eliminates a much needed layer of the game.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 10, 2017 7:43am | Report
Xayah and Rakan seem to be a bit too much, but I guess it's the path they've been taking with champion VOs lately (and at least Rakan feels in character being annoying).

Thing is, Riot has been clear that they're not sacrificing game clarity/enjoyment for lore. Even if the VO makes sense to the character, you should be able to avoid triggering most -or all- of it when playing properly. I guess you could make a compromise and try to sneak as many character lines as possible without risk of it getting annoying, but I don't feel Riot has been hitting the mark.

Sion annoys me when he starts screaming in base, after I bought an item. Like, I'm not even fullbuild, it's just a Ruby Crystal I bought because I died early like a noob. It's alright if he screams during an intense teamfight, but it's annoying if he screams because I'm breaking a ward (it's just an example, IDK if he has a line for that).
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 10, 2017 8:21am | Report
Yeah. I just happened to notice the new champs have VO lines for the following;

-killing creeps
-placing wards
-killing wards
-killing champions
-being NEAR specific champions
-killing towers.

And more on the list I cant be bothered to remember. Like you said, these are all essential things to do to play the game correctly and they will blather on about it now, if this trend continues into future champions.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide