Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

DotA 2 Aftermath of LoL?

Creator: wengthemeng August 12, 2012 8:59pm
1 2 3
wengthemeng
<Member>
wengthemeng's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 8:59pm | Report
How do you guys think DotA 2 will affect League of Legends when it's released?

Before even League of Legends was even made, Warcraft III mod: DotA was the name of the game. In present time though, I feel that League of Legends has not only annihilated other moba games in terms of most played, total time spent playing, number of people playing, etc. but it has also beat other well known games not even in it's genre such as CoD, WoW, and Minecraft in those terms.

I think DotA 2 will have tickle effect on League of Legends. LoL will still be the top game of all games in the terms I mentioned previously, but keep in mind, this is coming from a person who has not played or seen DotA 2 at all. My opinion comes solely from League of Legends.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts? I would especially like to hear your thoughts if you got into DotA 2 beta also. Thanks
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 9:23pm | Report
Ye LoL scene too huge now.

LoL > DotA 2 after release.
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 9:23pm | Report
Most people who play League of legends will find Dota 2
Very Uncomfortable
I know i have it
Alan LaFleur
<Content Team>
Alan LaFleur's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 9:28pm | Report
Yeah I don't see DotA 2 having much penetration on the LoL playerbase. LoL is not only popular because of it's business model, it is also popular because it is DotA 2 stripped down. On the surface it is easy to pick up but still difficult to master at the high levels of play.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 9:37pm | Report
I feel like League of Legends removed or refined a lot of the more irritating aspects of DotA, such as Denying, wilderness shops and couriers. It also has a more streamlined control system so you never have to take your control off of your champion. In DotA (and still in DotA 2), it's more similar to a traditional RTS except that you have fewer units to control. I played dota2 and tried the Broodmother and found that I had to select my spiders to control them. I could also deselect my champion.

I think DotA 2 may be a competitor, but I don't think it'll be able to outshine LoL. I hope it doesn't.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 9:42pm | Report
I feel like, anyone that played Dota, even just a little, will play both. I started playing Mobas with Dota, and while I find LoL immensely fun, DOTA 2 is also very fun. That game is much less forgiven, and the characters are much more diversified. Take Sniper, who can out-range turrets. Characters like that make a game very fun, because you have to try harder to deal with it.
Thanks to jhoijhoi for the awesome PsiGuard-loving sig!
The LZ
<Member>
The LZ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 9:45pm | Report
I doubt much will change.
One thing about LoL also is, that
things like champions actually look nice.
I have friends who can downright sit and browse
through champion skins, just to admire the art.
"(Btw LZ, I read all of your posts like a poem because your paragraphs look like stanzas. It's rather amusing. :P)" - PsiGuard
"^ya same
why you write like that" - wRAthoFVuLK
"Why DO you write like that?" - Amazing Monkey
"Why do you write like that LZ?" - iownedya
"no-one knows, but it is unique.
An artist originalising his work,
per say. Yet what have I done,
I have copied his work.
It's probably wrong too, but lolz. Keep at it LZ, since it makes reading your posts interesting." - ShiftyCake
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 9:45pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:

I feel like, anyone that played Dota, even just a little, will play both. I started playing Mobas with Dota, and while I find LoL immensely fun, DOTA 2 is also very fun. That game is much less forgiven, and the characters are much more diversified. Take Sniper, who can out-range turrets. Characters like that make a game very fun, because you have to try harder to deal with it.

Personally I find elements like that to be toxic to a competitive environment. DotA 2 seems the type of game to try to make everything equally OP in order to be balanced. LoL is diverse, but still consistent in its idea of what a champion or role should be able to accomplish.

I was also looking through some spells which had stupid-looking effects to me. Stuff like buffing X stat on your ally, but reducing their attack speed for the duration. What if I don't want my attack speed reduced? D:<

EDIT: I also like the art style of League and I find it to be clearer from a spectator's point of view in game.

EDIT 2: \/ Sorry Fatel, messed up my quote tags. \/
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 10:04pm | Report
What the f***. I never wrote that. Either way though, skills like that emphasize teamwork, to get the most of your team.
Thank you Jovy for this bomb *** sig!
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 10:05pm | Report
i used to play dota back in the day.

i got dota 2 nearly a year ago and have put 15 hours into it. dota 2 is so ****ing archaic its not even funny. its literally going to be a 1:1 dota except with hats.

same 16 heroes pick or ban tier every game.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide