Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Iron Solari

Creator: caucheka January 31, 2012 11:21am
20 posts - page 2 of 2
1 2
OutBlued
<Member>
OutBlued's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 2:39pm | Report
IceCreamy wrote:

This item plain sucks and I never buy it.

But Leona is fun to play ;D

Its actually a great item for saving people who are ignited and such types of abilities. It gives you some nice stats and a good little aura. Its just for supports though..

Anddd we're gone again. Don't check for us =D. Cool poster by Animality though.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 9:08pm | Report
Locket of the Iron Solari is definitely one of the most underrated items in the game. I really like this item after Shurelyia's and Aegis, the major downfall is the shield scales off levels so it's really better on a solo lane champion than a support. But most solo lane champions building Heart of Gold will probably sell it or build it into Randuin's Omen. That said at level 15+ it becomes basically 200 hp to everyone around you. At level 18 (which most supports will never reach) it caps out at 230.

230x5=1150. you're essentially 2225 gold for for a rank 3 Soraka heal for 5 party members near you. You're paying just under 2 gold per 1 damage mitigated, which The range isn't as bad as people think it is (600 range for the active,which is essentially an auto-attack range). It's also on a minute cooldown which is fantastic. I don't know why you wouldn't build this item on a support, you get good stats per gold in damage mitigation, plus it scales upward as the game goes on. I think it may even be better than Aegis of the Legion but I'm not entirely sure.

I could be doing this math wrong, but assuming you are level 18 and the the shield has been capped out at 230 shield mitigation. Using Diff the Ender's value of AP item stats, I can determine that 1 point of Ability Power costs about 21.1 gold on average. Taking soraka for example who's heal is at a .45 ratio but for the sake of this we'll round it up and say it's a .5 ratio. So essentially it takes 2 ap to get 1 health on a heal. Thus, the cost for ap is 42.2 gold per ap, because it takes twice the amount of ap to get the full, effective stat of AP. Now after mathing this out, I would take 42.2 and multiply it by 230 because that is essentially what the ratio is, so 42.2 x 230 = 9706. So essentially, 9706 is the amount of gold it would take in AP stats, to equal the shielding of Locket. Now the problem is the shield scales with level and caps, where as the scaling off AP is only capped by itemization limits (which would be 5 Archangels fully stacked + a Rabadon's Deathcap, in addition to runes and masteries of course). So if I am doing this right you're getting way more stats per gold on the shield than you would by buying AP for soraka's heal. The problem with this is you will always heal for more at level 18, because the base at rank 5 heal is 350 + .5 AP, assuming you are not effected by any sort of healing debuff, and we assume rank 5 because heal would have to be rank 5 by level 18 anyway. So yes, your heal will always give you more effective health than the shield, but in terms of damage mitigation per gold from Locket's active it's much more efficient than building AP on soraka. But again, I don't know if my math is correct, or the two are comparable, because one is limited by levels and the other is limited by items. Someone please check my math/theorycraft

EDIT: okay upon thinking about it, that number 9706 seems absurdly high, like broken high, i probably need to reduce it, I just need to math it out correctly, so stay tuned

With that said the important thing to draw from my post:

- At level 18, Locket of the Iron Solari essentially gives 1 point of shield per 2 gold. assuming you hit all 4 team members (including yourself)
- raising soraka's heal by 1 point requires 2 AP, if AP roughly costs 21.1 per point of AP then it would take 42.2 gold per 1 point of additional health in soraka's heal
- the factoring of the shield is just the active part of Locket, it doesn't even factor in the stats provided from the aura and to yourself
- The problem with locket on supports is it scales with levels, the level scaling makes it much more attractive to a solo lane champion, however, solo lane champions will find other items much more beneficial putting it in a fickle spot.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
CasterMaster
<Veteran>
CasterMaster's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 9:19pm | Report
I tend to build this item on supports frequently. Combine Locket of the Iron Solari with Aegis of the Legion and Shurelya's Battlesong and honestly you'll get to around 3000 health by level 18. Making whoever a support you are a semi-legitimate offtank support =P really underestimated but can be really deadly.

My Elise Guide | My Kassadin Guide
Thanks to jhoijhoi, albableat, Arcana3, GMD and I for the awesome sigs! im a zombie
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 10:26pm | Report
mooninites, you should also mention that the shield gives 230 per person. so thats 1150 total damage mitigation if you affect the full team
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Mooninites
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 10:29pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

mooninites, you should also mention that the shield gives 230 per person. so thats 1150 total damage mitigation if you affect the full team

yes it's in there, see the second paragraph, this is also how I arrived at the shield essentially being 2 gold per 1 point of damage mitigation.

if you want to be really specific, you're paying 1.93333 gold per 1 damage mitigated, but even this is not accurate, because this only factors in the active for the item, so the value of the item is actually much higher when you weigh in the aura and character-specific stats, but i digress
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 10:32pm | Report
Xaioli wrote:

Solari isn't bad for supports. It's situational because Aegis or Shurelya is needed to be rushed. It's not bad though. There's a similar item like Solari in DOTA and HoN and those work well and are also situational like Solari.

Lol, Solari itself a trash item and its only viable in combination with Aegies xD
Mooninites
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 10:38pm | Report
Yukimaru wrote:

Lol, Solari itself a trash item and its only viable in combination with Aegies xD

math would like to have a word with you...
CasterMaster
<Veteran>
CasterMaster's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 10:58pm | Report
Psh. Math.

Just because some numbers are greater doesn't mean it's better. Well, okay, it's better but in logical terms SKILL is always the best. No amount of gold or items will increase your level of skill (and then goes on about how bigfatlp builds Tear of the Goddess on Anivia and how it really isn't that good but because his skill level with her is so high that he can build whatever the f**k he wants and still beat the **** out of people)........

But seriously, Locket of the Iron Solari. Don't underestimate this powerful item.

My Elise Guide | My Kassadin Guide
Thanks to jhoijhoi, albableat, Arcana3, GMD and I for the awesome sigs! im a zombie
Mooninites
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2012 11:47pm | Report

Psh. Math.

Just because some numbers are greater doesn't mean it's better. Well, okay, it's better but in logical terms SKILL is always the best. No amount of gold or items will increase your level of skill (and then goes on about how bigfatlp builds Tear of the Goddess on Anivia and how it really isn't that good but because his skill level with her is so high that he can build whatever the f**k he wants and still beat the **** out of people)........

But seriously, Locket of the Iron Solari. Don't underestimate this powerful item.

you could have just chose not to post, and nothing of value would have been lost
Opaque_Shadow
<Member>
Opaque_Shadow's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 7:57am | Report
Locket of the Iron Solari to me is much like Stand United; great if used well, and absolute waste if the player using it has no awareness or timing skills to not waste it. I myself have blown a Shen ult a time or two and regretted it later, but there are also those times when I have saved my carry at bot, helped them get a triple kill, and then taken a few turrets. Do not underestimate the power of free health my friends. You can do quite a bit with 230 HP: turret dive for a penta, escape from a bad engagement, turn around a bad 1v1. I like this item a lot, yes it is situational, but when the situation is right, this thing can save your teams ***.
Feel Free to send my referral link to anyone you know.

"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide