Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Lethality/AD Rune Page Analysis

Creator: Swuft March 9, 2017 12:08pm
Swuft
<Fabulous>
Swuft's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 12:08pm | Report
Hello there. I recently made a spreadsheet in Excel to analyze the damage output certain rune setups gave Pantheon, and the results were pretty shocking to me. I had always been told that a Flat Rune AD page was the optimal setup for nearly all AD champs early game. Especially with the ARP->Lethality changes recently, it seemed like there was no wiggle room for optimal early-game rune setups.

After completing the spreadsheet, however, it became clear this is not the case at all. I'm not sure if it has to do with the most recent Lethality buff or if I have just been wrong this entire time, but Flat AD Runes are definitely not the optimal setup for Pantheon.

Here's a really short and sweet summary of what I did. Using Pantheon's stats as a baseline, I created a spreadsheet to compare how the damage output of Pantheon's Q, E and autoattack levels 1-18 (using both Deathfire Touch and Thunderlord's Decree mastery setups) would vary based on which runes I used. I analyzed 4 possible runepages, those being Full AD Marks/Quints, AD Quints & ARP Marks, ARP Quints & AD Marks, and Full ARP Marks/Quints.

Although many levels the damage outputs were similar, there were a few key things I noticed.
  • Level 5, a runepage with AD Quints and ARP Marks outscales a runepage with Flat AD Quints & Marks damage wise
  • Level 7, a runepage with Full ARP Quints and Marks outscales the other 3 possible runepages damagewise

I'm going to link the spreadsheet here; I uploaded it to MediaFire. It works like a calculator so you can play around with the numbers yourself. Pic of what it looks like, too.

I also believe this would be fairly easy to tweak for other champions/runes, so if anybody is interested either use this as a template or reply here and maybe I can help. Hope this was interesting, or at least informative!

~Credit to LuxTheGreyWarden for the idea
LuxTheGreyWarden
<Veteran>
LuxTheGreyWarden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 4:07pm | Report
I'm honestly going to take this and maybe see what other champs it can be effective on! It's interesting to see how my example of Magic Pen vs AP or AD vs Lethality can really impact damages.
This is so so cool, thank you so much for the credit and I'll be sure to play around with these numbers for different champs as well!! Good luck with everything :D

-Luxeøn
Swuft
<Fabulous>
Swuft's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 6:43pm | Report
I'm honestly going to take this and maybe see what other champs it can be effective on! It's interesting to see how my example of Magic Pen vs AP or AD vs Lethality can really impact damages.
This is so so cool, thank you so much for the credit and I'll be sure to play around with these numbers for different champs as well!! Good luck with everything :D

-Luxeøn

:D Yeah I was considering making a base template calculator that could work for any champion, but then I realized that the work necessary for updating it every patch would be way too much for me. I look forward to seeing any further publications from you on this topic!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 8:34pm | Report
2 things:

1. AD marks and Lethality quints is not even worth calculating because it's straight-up less stats than Lethality marks and AD quints.

2. Your conclusions don't match your claim at the beginning. Levels 1-5 IS the early game, so full AD is definitely the strongest early. Maybe you just meant you were surprised how quickly lethality caught up?
Thanks to Fatelblade for the sig!
Swuft
<Fabulous>
Swuft's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 9:11pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

1. AD marks and Lethality quints is not even worth calculating because it's straight-up less stats than Lethality marks and AD quints.

Yeah I should have realized this at the outset, but it became quite clear after plugging the numbers into the calculator I made. Just included it for the sake of completion.

PsiGuard wrote:

2. Your conclusions don't match your claim at the beginning. Levels 1-5 IS the early game, so full AD is definitely the strongest early. Maybe you just meant you were surprised how quickly lethality caught up?

I agree I did a poor job of explaining; it's a combination of the two. I suppose I consider "early" game to be through level 6 (1/3 of total leveling) at the very least, and the numbers I came up with show that AD Quints ARP Marks surpass Full AD Quints/Marks at level 5 damage wise. This means that Full AD Quints/Marks are only superior for 66% of the early levels(levels 1-6 considered "early") and 22% of all levels.

Based on this, I believe there is definitely more wiggle room than I originally believed for Pantheon's "early game"-reliant rune pages, which was my (intended) original claim. In fact, I now believe that AD Quints ARP Marks is the more optimal setup for Pantheon. I was surprised by how fast ARP caught up, but I did not attempt to express that in the original post.

I am removing the claim that this is potentially true for other champions as well based on this feedback, as it is a rather unsupported claim and detracts from my main point.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 14, 2017 9:03pm | Report
I'm a few days late in replying but I agree that there is some wiggle room. Against someone like Riven you probably want as many early game stats as possible, but in some matchups you can probably afford to take something that scales harder.

If I were to play Panth I'd probably take Lethality marks and AD quints.
Thanks to Hoppermh for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide