Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Riven is OP because.. ?

Creator: Blood26 June 8, 2012 9:05am
1 2 3 4 5
Blood26
<Member>
Blood26's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 9:05am | Report
I saw LoL statistics and realized that she was the most picked champion of all times.
This thread may not seem at best, but I am rather lazy to scroll through an entire list of Riven threads and read up on outdated posts, so I figured I'd inquire with a new thread.

Let's get some facts straight, I know Riven's Broken Wings and Valor are her escape mechanism/initiating tool. Her Ki Burst's stun is insanely strong with a 1.0 AD scaling and her Blade of the Exile buffs everything topped up with a Garen-like ult.

Maybe it's just me, but I find Riven extremely difficult to use, darting in and out of teamfights means you need to be aware of everything amidst chaos. Her Wind Slash requires very very good timing. And her Q requires positioning that I just can't seem to get right ( I can't seem to knockback my enemies despite chasing down with Q). And, not to mention her hit range is extremely small.

So, what makes Riven OP ?
THANK YOU LACORPSE FOR THE SIGGY. YOU HAVE SUCH A GOOD FAN SERVICE :D !!

I have a request to all of the users on Mobafire. If it's not too much for you guys, do +Rep me if I've said something reasonable, crack a funny joke or provide the latest updates . Likewise, I've been +Rep-ing people so long as I find their post likeable. So let's help out each other now, shall we ;) ?
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 9:18am | Report
I don't think she's OP, just well balanced mixed up with great mobility in a reliable body. Why would this make her preferred over Lee Sin? I dunno, perhaps because Lee is more frequently banned?

Overall, she is a solid pick, can farm safely against many solotops and remains strong throughout the game.
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 9:27am | Report
Riven is just a very fun champion all around. She is also rather versatile. I love being able to take her top or jungle and be able to carry or tank. Reliable CC, mobility, and sustain. Just a great choice.

I do think there are things that set apart the good from the great with her.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Blood26
<Member>
Blood26's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 9:30am | Report
[deleted] wrote:

Riven isn't OP in my opinion. I mean....too be honest though, I feel like so many champs are "OP" that my standard of what is considered OP has been raised quite a bit.

I will say that she is an excellent solo-top and that her stun can really mess things up. She can also turret-dive pretty well with her shield and Broken Wings. But I don't play her often lol.

Oh....and I'm under the notion you play Ahri a lot. You kind of have to dart in and out with her as well...You must just need some adjusting to Riven. =3

You know me so well <3.
THANK YOU LACORPSE FOR THE SIGGY. YOU HAVE SUCH A GOOD FAN SERVICE :D !!

I have a request to all of the users on Mobafire. If it's not too much for you guys, do +Rep me if I've said something reasonable, crack a funny joke or provide the latest updates . Likewise, I've been +Rep-ing people so long as I find their post likeable. So let's help out each other now, shall we ;) ?
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 10:05am | Report
I think she's the strongest late game AD Caster right now :p

She's also really difficult to kill and does an insane amount of damage, but with a high skill cap.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Mazuran
<Member>
Mazuran's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 10:07am | Report
[deleted] wrote:

Oh....and I'm under the notion you play Ahri a lot. You kind of have to dart in and out with her as well...You must just need some adjusting to Riven. =3

Clearly you're playing Riven wrong... No need to dart *out* of combat, just KILL THEM ALL! :P

She's just a very popular character. Tons of utility, two possible team roles (top lane or jungler), and good ratios will of course mean she's picked up quite commonly.

Also, dat bunny girl skin :3
albableat
<Member>
albableat's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 10:16am | Report
Because she has decent base stats, amazing AD ratios on ALL of her skills and nice mobility.
Want to see an in-depth diamond level LeBlanc guide? Come by and check this ;) It's written by Baekstra who is a Diamond LeBlanc main on EUW and being one myself, I can vouch for it 100%!
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 10:54am | Report
It's because her lane phase combo is VERY difficult for most champions to deal with.

E in, which also gives you a shield to curb the opponent's initial damage, then you W (Which you are maxing) and damages/stuns them. You land one AA. then you use Q to simply dash out of range.

There is another variation where you land another AA inbetween E and W. It goes E - AA - W - AA- Q-Q-Q away.

Then ding six and you can kill most champions. Sometimes from full HP to zero in one or two runs, and because of her LONG ulti timer and her mobility, you should usually get your two tries to kill them.

When landing repeated kills, a player can also comfortably stop maxing W and or E and start sinking points into Q, and go Rambo. An early rank 5 Q with a chunk of AD items behind it will TERRORIZE the first teamfight when your Riven is fed.

Basically, she has a sense of straightforward to her but she's not a straightforward champion to play.

AKA everyone knows what the general plan is and sorta how to avoid it. That's what makes her challenging.

But her mobility is just a classic example of Riot's mobility powercreep. I don't think a champion should have 4 dashes, even if they are mini-dashes.
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 7:19pm | Report
Her 1.0 AD scale makes her OP xD

Shes not OP, shes just fine. Even with so much damage, using her is hard, and that makes her one of the most rewarding champions
A Chubby Baby
<Veteran>
A Chubby Baby's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 7:29pm | Report
she's not OP. just extremely strong right now. combos and other stuff. but there are quite a few champs that can easily counter her and render her useless late game.
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide