Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Why do people say "bump" on threads?

Creator: roarrgasm May 19, 2012 5:35pm
1 2 3
roarrgasm
<Member>
roarrgasm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 5:35pm | Report
Maybe it's a dumb question, but this has always confused me. I see a comment that just says bump for no reason so I thought I would just put this question out there
I have a guide about how to play a champion called Xin Zhao. He is a cool asian guy with a big stick and he looks like this...

--> LINK TO MY XIN ZHAO GUIDE! <--
I also have a cool guide about a champion that most people like to call... Kennen!. He is so cute and fluffy I could just hold him like a little kitty. He might electrocute you, though. He looks like this:

--> LINK TO MY KENNEN GUIDE! <--

+rep would be nice too if i helped you... ;)
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 5:39pm | Report
To "bump" the thread to the top. If a thread has had no replies, or replies that aren't useful, the original poster will sometimes want to "bump" the thread so more people will see it and comment on it.

It's considered bad manners on some sites.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Keondre
<Member>
Keondre's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 5:42pm | Report
I bump threads a lot to be courteous. I doubt anyone here thinks its "bad manners", I hope they don't. I've bene bumping wrath and jeffy's sig threads..
사랑은 장님이다. | ความงามในความแข็งแรง. | 愛は治療です.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 5:53pm | Report
I said on some sites :P For example, imagine if commenting on your own guide would bring it to the top of the list, regardless of it's score. People would be forever bumping their guides to being it to the top, and that'd be considered bad manners.

On the Official LoL Website, people are often downvoted for bumping their own threads.

On YWS, people who bump their stories to the top of the list are often warned not to - every time they bump their thread to the top of the list of stories, other stories may not get read.

In these forums on MobaFire, bumping rarely occurs anyway, and it's hardly ever someone bumping their own thread with the word "bump". Most people will update the readers of what's happened lately "look at this new sig I made" or "I'm not 1900 elo" - this is also bumping, but not in the same poor taste as someone who just says "bump" on their own thread just to get attention.

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 5:54pm | Report
It's spam, so don't "bump" threads. >:( Only say something if it contributes to conversation! (Unless you're in off-topic, then you can say all the random **** you want) A bump is always a no-no on this site.
Keondre
<Member>
Keondre's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 5:56pm | Report
Sorry Mowen :( Didn't know D:
사랑은 장님이다. | ความงามในความแข็งแรง. | 愛は治療です.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 6:07pm | Report
Mowen: I don't think that's completely fair/right. Any sort of post after the post before it can be considered a "bump". Me replying to this thread can be considered a bump. It still bumps the thread to the top of the list.

Keondre isn't breaking any rules by bumping a friend's thread. I'm not breaking any rules if I go and bump one of my suggestion threads with the post "Anymore ideas?". The only bumping that I can see that is harmful to a forum is the mindless bumping of superfluous threads like "QQ Anivia OP" with the post "BUMP!".

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 6:53pm | Report
i think mowen was just referring to simply saying 'bump'. i myself don't consider anything other than saying 'bump' as bumping.

also, off-topic.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
roarrgasm
<Member>
roarrgasm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 7:01pm | Report
ah ok i see. thanks for the info, guys, it helped :)
I have a guide about how to play a champion called Xin Zhao. He is a cool asian guy with a big stick and he looks like this...

--> LINK TO MY XIN ZHAO GUIDE! <--
I also have a cool guide about a champion that most people like to call... Kennen!. He is so cute and fluffy I could just hold him like a little kitty. He might electrocute you, though. He looks like this:

--> LINK TO MY KENNEN GUIDE! <--

+rep would be nice too if i helped you... ;)
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 20, 2012 8:54am | Report
There are threads which I find incredibly interesting or useful, and I might have given my input in it already but I I might think it hasn't gotten its due attention. Thus I might bump it. Not with the word bump or TTT (to the top), but the effects are still the same. And I will never believe that a thread will get exactly the attention it is worth. If I post a thread just before a majority of our members come online it might get huge attention. Posting it either when almost noone is online or when 20 others post at the same time will give you **** all attention. Same thread.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide