Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Custom Chapters

Creator: jhoijhoi March 19, 2016 10:57pm
8 posts - page 1 of 1
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2016 10:57pm | Report

The thing I see most new guide authors do is copy this structure leading to a guide that is poorly organised. Perhaps this layout needs a rethink.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
TheRealCefor
<Member>
TheRealCefor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2016 11:18pm | Report
I will be the first to say however, if a guide doesn't have all those topics covered then that guide is not complete. All are extremely important when trying to inform a reader about the champion your guide covers.

I do agree with you, a guide writer will need to be creative when creating the structure of their guide.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2016 4:15am | Report
A rethink in terms of order, categories which are included/missing or both? Shouldn't be too hard to change that, just need to agree on what's best :)

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2016 4:41am | Report
I will be the first to say however, if a guide doesn't have all those topics covered then that guide is not complete. All are extremely important when trying to inform a reader about the champion your guide covers.

Are you kidding me? A champion guide can be complete without an in-depth explanation of general information like "team work", "farming" or "ranked gameplay". The way I see it, a guide is supposed to teach the champion and teaching the role in general is only a nice addition.
jokersprank
<Member>
jokersprank's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2016 4:42am | Report
I think TheReealCefor is right that most chapters are important for a champion guide. However, the order is really messy for a new guide writer. I see way too often pros and cons in the mid of the guide but the purpose is persuading the reader that this champ is worth trying. And I think that you need to do this at the beginning or use it as a summary of said champ, where pros outweigh the cons most of the time.

Main Chapters
Introduction
Pros/Cons
Runes
Masteries
Summoner Spells
Champion Abilities
Skill Sequence
Items
(Gameplay)
Summary
Additional Chapters
Farming
Unique Skills
Team Work
Ranked Play
Those are the common chapters I see in good guides. I'm not sure if gameplay is the right word since the author has a lot of freedom there and can explain every stage of the game or just certain aspects like team fighting. Jungling/Creeping is pretty special because not every champ should or can jungle. That's why it should be deleted. Additional chapter could be also deleted. Not every person plays ranked, some guides are directed towards older players or that champ has something else that isn't listed here. The main chapters are pretty core for a guide. Some more and some less.

(Columns are somehow left-leaning)
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2016 8:32am | Report
I have a few complaints about the default chapters(in no particular order):

1. Back when I used guides, I made up my mind on what to play before reading the guide. The pros/cons section does exactly that for you, but since I already knew what I was getting into, the section sometimes gave me some useful bits of information, but nothing that was not repeated in some other section of the guide.
I don't know if everyone uses guides like I did, but if so, the pros/cons are not really important enough to warrant a whole section.

2. What is ranked play supposed to mean and how does it differ from gameplay? It is not like you play a champion differently just because it is ranked. Unless I missed something fundamental here, the section should be replaced with something like matchups.

3. Speaking of matchups, why isn't that a default chapter?

4. Gameplay should be split into early-, mid- and lategame.

5. How is the farming section relevant? It warrants a chapter if the guide is about nasus or maybe veigar, but I can't really think of any other champion where it isn't either something like singed("run through the wave with q on and you are pretty much good") or some variation of "autoattack minions when they are low"

6. Why can't the unique skills chapter be part of the skill sequence one?

I think TheReealCefor is right that most chapters are important for a champion guide. However, the order is really messy for a new guide writer. I see way too often pros and cons in the mid of the guide but the purpose is persuading the reader that this champ is worth trying. And I think that you need to do this at the beginning or use it as a summary of said champ, where pros outweigh the cons most of the time.

Main Chapters
Introduction
Pros/Cons
Runes
Masteries
Summoner Spells
Champion Abilities
Skill Sequence
Items
(Gameplay)
Summary
Additional Chapters
Farming
Unique Skills
Team Work
Ranked Play
Those are the common chapters I see in good guides. I'm not sure if gameplay is the right word since the author has a lot of freedom there and can explain every stage of the game or just certain aspects like team fighting. Jungling/Creeping is pretty special because not every champ should or can jungle. That's why it should be deleted. Additional chapter could be also deleted. Not every person plays ranked, some guides are directed towards older players or that champ has something else that isn't listed here. The main chapters are pretty core for a guide. Some more and some less.

(Columns are somehow left-leaning)

I also agree with this^
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2016 9:05am | Report
In response to "why is A not a chapter" or "why is B included at all", keep in mind this list of chapters is quite old. It can definitely be improved, it just hadn't really been pointed out until now.

Would something like this work, with users choosing between jungling or the laning phase & matchups section depending on role? For the record, I kept Pros / Cons in there because I feel it's a useful chapter for those who aren't aware of a champion's strengths and weaknesses already.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2016 10:55am | Report
I liked jokersprank idea of having recommended chapters in two groups. One group of "main/general chapters" and other of "in-depth/additional chapters". It probably means more work than just updating the list of chapters, but IMO it would be more useful.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide