Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Really gonna let this happen? (tournament)

Creator: throatslasher April 14, 2013 10:09pm
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 12:15pm | Report
You could have at least set a 'number of posts' minimum...
Satella
<Member>
Satella's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 12:21pm | Report
"Must have at least one member who is an active member of the community via either participation in discussions or publication of at least one guide rated above 50%".

This way even if they sign up and participate just to qualify Mobafire gets some content contribution out of it.
Rewriting Riven Guide Useful Programs Thread Sig making
FlashJ
<Administrator>
FlashJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 12:38pm | Report
To answer, no we are not going to let this happen and are working on a solution.

These tournaments are meant for any amateurs to play so limiting it to only those with post counts or guide counts doesn't work. We are trying to provide a place for all amateurs to play, not just the MF community. However, challenger teams are not amateur.

Solution coming.
"Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 12:50pm | Report
Are diamond 1 solo queue players amateurs? What's the cutoff? And how do we know if they hop on smurfs? Issues abound, but I sure you'll get to the bottom of it

I think actually participating in the community should be a part of entry.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 12:55pm | Report
What do post counts have to do with being an amateur? It shows you're actually, y'know, participating in the community somewhat, not that you're high/low tier or whatever. :S

If you're aiming it at any ol' amateur just have them make a tier-verified account.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 1:58pm | Report
How would you guys feel about forced summoner verification with a tier/division cutoff for entry? What do you feel a fair cutoff would be?

IMO, basing it on verified tier/division makes more sense for our goals. Having a tournament that the majority of players can enter and have a chance to win. Helping to grow the community through tournaments. Cutting it off by MF activity does not help to grow the community in the same way, and does not actually prevent high tier players from steamrolling everyone, which is the problem at hand.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 2:02pm | Report
It still leaves lower tier smurfs from high tier as a possibility.

But to answer your question, I get the impression that most people consider relatively competitive play to start around Platinum at least. If you're aiming for amateurs, then I suppose Gold and below would be the cutoff point.
C4 Lasty
<Member>
C4 Lasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 2:19pm | Report
I disagree the difference between Diamond 1 and Diamond 5 is like the difference bettween Plat 5 and Silver 1. Its an ocean. If you want to make a cutoff set it at Diamond 1 or above.

-Simon
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 2:22pm | Report
I don't know sirell. I may be biased here, but I'm diamond V and I don't know ****. I feel that if you ask the teams of sub 30 players who the 'professional' players were, they'd say gold and up. It's all relative. I think we can all agree that Diamond 1 solo queue or a diamond/challenger 5's team should disqualify you. There is no difference between plat 2 and plat 1, but the difference between diamond 2 and diamond 1 is STAGGERING, and the difference between diamond 3 and diamond 1 is gargantuan. I think diamond 2 solo queue players are just amazing players. I think diamond 1 players are just waiting to get into challenger.

Diamond 2 = solo queue player
Diamond 1 = potential to be on any LCS team.

Any rank diamond 5's team - might as well be challenger.

If you cut out all plats and diamonds, i don't know. Like I said, my team of 2 diamonds and 3 low plats have been beaten in 20 minutes by a team of 5 mid gold players.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 2:26pm | Report
I'm not entering the tournament for free wins, free prizes, or to faceroll. For me, I don't consider any of that anywhere near guaranteed. I'm doing this for fun, for practice, and to get closer with the moba community. I think we know what the teams with challenger diamond 1 players with 0 posts between their entire team are here for. They're not here to expand the community. They're here for prizes.

Yes, I want to win, and yes it would be easier if no 'pros' were allowed in, but I have looked at the field and I think many of the people seeded below me with diamond, plat, and even gold players are a threat. Not silver or bronze though.

If you want an AMATEUR tournament, no gold or above, hell, no silver 2 or higher

If you want a FAIR tournament, no diamond 1 or challenger solo queue, and no any diamond or challenger rated team players.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide