Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Really gonna let this happen? (tournament)

Creator: throatslasher April 14, 2013 10:09pm
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 2:29pm | Report
As per the 'how will we know if people smurf' question, the solution may be easier than you think.

If you instate the no pro rule, and a team of bronze V-Silver V kids win all of their matches in 20 minutes and have insane kda's, like winning games 30 kills - 3 deaths team score, including crushing teams with some plats and diamonds, I think we'll know pretty quickly what's up.

Honestly, I think your prizes were TOO good. I think if you made the tournament last over a week or two, it would really discourage some of the pros because it wouldn't be worth their time, like, if you made the tournament last over the entire month where players are at their leisure to schedule their own matches, dunno, but definitely something needs to be done to discourage the impending faceroll.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 2:53pm | Report
throatslasher, seriously l2edit. Stop posting a new comment when you were the last one to post, just edit your last comment.

I think that if we do start having some kind've cutoff we should have a tournament every once in a while that everyone can participate in or that are for say, diamond + (dunno). I do think having different divisions for tournaments could be quite fun for everyone. Even if you have less valuable prizes I think a lot of non-pro players do it more for the experience / fun and the glory of doing well than the prizes (although people still like prizes of course).

I still don't like comment quotas etc. The requirement would most likely be low and most people will post a bunch of not so helpful comments that would get them the requirement, but not be actual "spam." As Matt said it discourages people from participating and doesn't help the community grow.

As the others have said we are discussing what solution / system will be best and there will be a fix, so those who are concerned don't really need to convince us that we need to fix it. Just check here or in the new tournament details for whatever solution we come up with! We didn't have an issue with pro players originally because we were just started up, we wanted as many people to join as possible. This is intended to be an evolving tournament system and whenever an issue arises the system will be changed to accommodate new issues.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 3:06pm | Report
Captian korea's team won march, correct? Does anyone know if they had any competition? Like, did they even have any close games? Just worried that in its current format, the tournament will never have anyone win besides the 1 pro team that chooses to join, aka captain korea's team.

It's extremely discouraging to know that it will practically be impossible to place vs 2 full teams of diamond 1 players.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
BarbJ
<Exceptional Editor>
BarbJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 3:40pm | Report
I feel like this could be like the inhouse issues we had a while ago. The skill gap was huge, and people weren't happy, so we split up the groups based on "skill." People still weren't happy, and now they're back together in one group.

No matter what you do people are going to be sad about it.

I don't think tier / division has anything to do with skill. When I played in inhouses a while back, people who were unranked or in silver could beat a lane opponent in platinum or high gold levels. It's been said a bunch, but elo / wins have nothing to do with skill, so setting a cutoff won't stop the "good players" from stomping everyone.

But if setting a cutoff makes you feel better about it... Hm...
"Secretly I think Joe is an evil genius."
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 4:51pm | Report
If nothing is done, capt korea will win every tournament for every month for the rest of this tournament's life, or until a better group of challenger players enter. That's my only gripe.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 5:09pm | Report
What about brackets, with the same $300 prize pool? Like a separate bracket for low gold-bronze and a high gold-diamond, etc. Also maybe go through a verification so that a team can't say "we're bronze" when they're actually diamond.

Also, to prevent it so that there isn't one challenger player + four bronze 5 players on one team, have a maximum elo cutoff for any team, but make it slightly higher/lower than what the bracket stats so an elo disparity can be accepted.

Also, a lower prize pool would slightly discourage pros from joining because they might not think it's worth their time.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 6:40pm | Report
I think my idea is best. have the tournament take place over like 2 weeks, where players can schedule matches. Discourages pros, not worth their time.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:36pm | Report
I like the bracket idea, tehAsian. Still means everyone can participate, but you'll more likely face "beatable" opponents, rather than challenger-tier pros (if you're Bronze or whatever).
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2013 2:55am | Report
throatslasher, that tends to discourage everyone though, not just pros. We did it that way when we first ran tournaments, giving people a stretch of days for each round. We had complaints from players of various levels of skill, about the time investment, trouble arranging match times, disputes about missed match times, situations and schedules changing partway through the tournament, etc... It was a whole other bag of worms, and people just don't really like it :(
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2013 6:27am | Report
BarbJ wrote:
I don't think tier / division has anything to do with skill.

BarbJ wrote:
It's been said a bunch, but elo / wins have nothing to do with skill

Eeeh, I agree it can sometimes be misleading (mostly for those who play so much ranked that they end up higher than they deserve - which, from what I understand, is just how the system works atm - or those who barely play ranked at all), but it's not like skill has absolutely nothing to do with it, lol.

9/10 times a high gold player is still going to be better than someone in silver. Also, not every lane you lose is lost because your enemy is better and outplays you.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide