Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Which order should I learn these champions in?

Creator: Buranri April 17, 2012 5:56pm
1 2 3
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2012 5:56pm | Report
So right now, I only really can play 2 champions, Ziggs and Fiora. They're both similar characters... Top lane (I think?), carry. I'm looking to expand the range of roles and characters I can play, so when I hit 30 I can jump into ranked. I want to learn how to solo top, jungle, mid, support, AD carry, tank... All that fun stuff. So there's two questions here.

First, is any of that possible in custom games? I like to play a few custom games, partially because I don't get penalized for leaving and also so I can get the feel of a champion. However, I think the only roles you can play in custom are top lane and jungle, and even jungle doesn't work too well. Is there any way to get the bots to let you go mid or bottom?

And second, any suggestions for which characters I should start out with, or which order I should work on the roles in? Here's who I have...

Amumu, Anivia, Ashe, Blitzcrank, Corki, Dr. Mundo, Fiora, Fizz, Gangplank, Heimerdinger, Jax, Karthus, Kassadin, Katarina, Master Yi, Nautilus, Nunu, Olaf, Poppy, Shaco, Singed, Sion, Soraka, Taric, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Udyr, Veigar, Ziggs.
Max Carter
<Member>
Max Carter's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2012 7:03pm | Report
You aren't level 30 and has all that champions? o.o
Thx for Nyoike for this sig! Tanks FTW s2
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2012 7:05pm | Report
I bought one of the big packs of champions because it had a few I wanted, and then I bought a bunch of others (Veigar, Ziggs, Fiora).
Alissera
<Member>
Alissera's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2012 11:22pm | Report
Hmm, in custom games it is a bit hard to train for rankings. If its possible play with as many premates as you are able to, so you can communicate about your role before you start the game. Solotop and jungle is hard to train in those games, because in low lvl games the enemy team not always have a jungler. So solotop would be a 1v2 some times and its hard to learn in that case. You can learn jungle in custom games well, but dont forget, in ranked games you have a counter jungle, the other jungle is cleared normally. Its important, that your team gets dragon control and that you gank alot. As jungler its your part of your job that you clear the map from enemy wards help the lanes if they are in trouble. You can learn jungling better, if the opponents have a jungler too, but its possible if they dont have. The solotop and jungle normally is for the tanks and offtanks. The bot lane (support + ranged ad carry) is hard to learn. You need a premate for this, because in casual games supporters are very rare.
Now i list some champs who are played in ranked games very often:
Most Banned Champs:
Kassadin
Shen
Shaco
Morgana
Solotop Champs:
Tryndamere
Irelia
Warwick
Rumble
Jungle Champs:
Lee Sin
Rammus
Shyvana
Warwick
As jungler its a nice benefit if you dont need mana. So you dont get mana problems and you can pass the bluebuff to the mid.
Ranged AD Carries:
Caitlyn
Graves
Ashe
Corki (My personal favourite :D)
Vayne
Supporter Champs:
Janna
Soraka
Alister
Sona

First i would learn the ranged ad carry, because you can play him in custom games nearly every time. I recommend Ashe or Corki.
If you have dont know how to play a supporter till now, read some support guids to get important informations about warding and supporting in general. You can learn it with Soraka or Taric. You should buy Janna, because she is a really strong supporter, even in late game.
After that you can learn jungling and solotop. You can play Gangplank and Mundo as solochamp.
Jungling in general you can learn with Shaco, but i really would buy someone else, because Shaco is banned in ranked games normally.
echoedpulse23
<Member>
echoedpulse23's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2012 2:52am | Report
When I first started playing Leagues of Legend, I had played no other game like it. So much of what was going on didn't make any sense. I had no clue what any of the weapons were, what a champion's primary stat was(or what it meant) and that kills will come with out turret diving. I felt as though I was kicking blindly at the proverbial monster of a learning curve. So here are a couple things that helped cushion my *** first fall into LoL.

1. Recommended not always Recommended
There are a select few champions labeled "recommended", who are considered good beginner player champions. That reason is due to the overall simplicity involved with mastering these champions (mastering is speculative).
My Thoughts You don't need to do this necessarily. When playing in a pvp match, you will be matched up against players around your skill level, and although it might be hard to score some kills at first, you will be honing more difficult skills (skill shots and combos), and introducing your self to new characters that you or your team mates haven't seen yet. I started with Malzahar and he is still one of my main champions. *NOTE: I do recommend not going too high; there is a point where the difficulty involves a progression of skills and understanding that come from learning clicks, screen scrolls and monsters of the game.

2. When you do this, make sure you learn or know what type of champion you are picking(tank/assassin and AP/AD). I personally found it easier to start with a ranged character. LEAGUE OF LEGENDS IS A GAME OF SECONDS, and when you are in a battle every second counts. For a beginner, I personally felt that I didn't get as over whelmed when you using a ranged (as opposed to a melee) character. Caitlyn, Ash, and Annie are all picks I used or my buddies used.
==> Playing beginner bots is a great way to figure out who you like and to learn that champion with out any statistical consequences.

3. Buy one of the bundles. I know I know, that's where they(the free game) gets you, but I promise you it is worth it. I recommend the "Digital Collectors Pack" since it comes with runes, and a awesome variety of champions to choose from. Also don't be afraid to use MOBAFire and other sites as a source for learning the minute; the more understanding of how everything works and what is involved, the faster you become a true summoning BALLA!!!

I hope this, helps, it starts out rough at first but you will have that game where your top player, positive KD, and feared by other from Nexus to Nexus..... That is when you are hooked. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Computer Build

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz Hard Drive: 119 GB SSD(SATA 3) + 1T WD-Black(6Gps/SATA 3) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Memory: 8192MB RAM Monitor: ViewSonic LED 1080p(HDMI/DVI input) Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Audio) Speakers Headphones: BOSE QT:15 Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mouse Surface: Razer Sphex Mouse: Razer Mamba Wireless 4g==> 6400 DPI (1000Hz Polling Rate) Operation System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)==>SP 1 Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO (GEN3) Computer Case: Corsair Antec
[/color]
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2012 8:09am | Report
^^ Right on, bro. Echo makes some great points, and i agree with pretty much all of it. What i would suggest is trying to learn 3 good characters for each role (so thats 15 characters total you can play REALLY well and do ANYTHING for ANY situation), but i would try to learn one role first. Most people are known as "The Midder", "The Jungler", et cetera (im "The Support" myself), and thats normal, there will always be one role you are best at. But as far as what champs u should learn in what order, i would pick something AS FAR AWAY FROM WHAT YOU ALREADY PLAY AS POSSIBLE. A lesson i learned from a mentor of mine, every champ teaches you SOMETHING. Learning each champ's lesson is critical for mastery of the game in general. As far as the champs you have, top 5 (one for each lane to start with) would be Udyr (jungle), Taric (support), Corki (ad carry), Veigar (mid), Olaf (top). Those are the best ones you own that can fill the roles (and they are damn good ones at that, you made some good picks!)

Hope this helps!
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2012 9:12pm | Report
Yeah, that helps a lot!

One quick question though... What's up with all the carries? I'm still a little confused on what the AD carry does, exactly... Let's see.

So top is usually either 2 carries or a carry and then a jungler, right? And then there's mid, obviously. And then bottom lane has the support and an AD carry. What makes an AD carry an AD carry, though? Why do they go bottom lane? Why do they have to be AD? I think I'm missing something here :p
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 5:40am | Report
Its all about balance, and reacting to what your opponent team is going to do. Top is always solo, and is usually tanky mele AD, altho that is by no means set in stone, and they are NOT carries, more like secondary damage dealers/CC dealers/tanks. Mid is ranged AP (unless you play a champ that is an AP hunter like Katarina) and bot, like you said, is ranged AD and a support. There are 2 carries in the game that do the majority of the damage, the AD carry and the AP carry. That is their job. You should not have both of one kind, because then the enemy team could just stack armor or mres and negate 70% of your team's damage. Because there is an AP and an AD carry, the enemy team cannot build a resistance to both magic and physical damage effectively while keeping the ability to do damage in a fight, so one or the other of your two carries will always have an advantage. And as far as why its bot and not top, well thats just how the current meta is played XD. Top is solo because thats where the jungler comes from, he has no lane, he has the entire jungle to worry about. Your AD has to be ranged because... well, the OTHER ad in your lane (your opponent) WILL be a ranged AD, and he will stomp all over any mele character trying to go up against him. As far as how to play, the AD carry gets last hits and harasses the enemy ad carry so he cannot. 15 CS (creep score) is roughly equal to one champ kill, so if the enemy AD carry has 15 more cs than yours, he effectively has one champ kill in cash over yours, which is a big advantage in items. Thats his job in laning phase. Its the support's job to keep him alive, and to take advantage of when the enemy laners over extend and leave themselves vulnerable. In teamfight phase, after laning is over, its the carry's job to pick off the enemy carries so they cant deal your team damage, and then finish off the supports and tanks on the enemy team. I think ive answered all your questions...

Hope this helps!
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 3:56pm | Report
Yeah, that actually helps a lot. I didn't even take into account the armor and MR thing, so that explains most of it. Thanks!

Also, a quick jungling question while I'm here - where's the best place to learn jungling, custom games or normals? Obviously playing with+against bots doesn't really do much for jungling, but I feel like I'd just make my entire team lose if I tried to jungle in a normal. Plus the other team probably wouldn't have a jungler, so top would be going 1v2.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:14pm | Report
Custom games are best for learning the jungle and perfecting your item build and learning when u need to b and spot chances for ganks. Once you have your rout and item build memorized and perfected, then i suggest going into norms and letting your top know you will be jungling and to let him know to tell you when he needs a gank. The good news is you will never be hurting for excuses to gank top, because at lower ELO if there are 2 people in a lane against 1, then the 2 are going to push like CRAZY and WAY over extend, giving you all the opportunity in the world to make them hurt. Just ask the person you WOULD be sharing a lane with if he is comfortable handling a 1v2 scenario before you go ahead and practice jungling.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide