Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

New Social Promotion and Tip Options for Guide...

Creator: Mowen July 24, 2017 7:36am
1 2
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 7:36am | Report

You may have noticed we moved some stuff around in the guide headers recently, and that was to make room for 2 new features - the
Social Promo and Tip Buttons! We wanted to make it easier for authors to get support from their fans. This new section of the guide header makes it easy for authors to promote themselves and get support from their fans.

To enable these buttons simply go to your Profile Settings page, and they will be at the bottom of the Social Links & Website area. And of course, you need to fill out your social / tip urls in the area above that!

NOTES:

Right now you may only select one social site to promote and one "donation" site to promote (this includes PayPal and Patreon). This is to make sure that we don't overwhelm the readers with a slew of buttons, and this way they are sure to see the buttons that are most important to you!

For the Tip / PayPal button you need to have a
paypal.me account and give us that url, read more about how to set that up here, it's quite easy! https://www.paypal.me/
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 9:44am | Report
Ayy awesome.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 1:10pm | Report
First person I thought of, haha. Grats on 500 Rep btw Vapora.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 1:31pm | Report
Thanks fam.

Only suggestion I would have is to have the "Tip this author" button (possibly with a more appropriate name for this version, like "Support this author" or something) bring up the option of either Patreon or Paypal. It's kind of a bummer to have to pick between one or the other when some readers will prefer a monthly donation and others will prefer a one-time donation. I completely agree with not wanting to overwhelm the readers with buttons, but I can't help but feel that there can easily be a way to have the reader choose between one or the other if they want to support the author, rather than use the only choice they can immediately see.

For example like when you click someone's name in Twitch chat and this panel comes up, that's what I'm thinking of, but with boxes linking to Paypal or Patreon instead. I feel like that would be an easy solution to not overwhelm the reader with buttons while at the same time giving the reader more options to support you.

A similar solution for the social media links would be cool too. I chose to promote my Twitter over my Twitch since I have my Twitch promoted with the embeds anyway, but it would be nice to be able to promote my YouTube channel as well for example. YouTube and Twitter both serve different functions so it sucks that I have to choose between one or the other.

So maybe a button that manages to congregate all Social Media options and another for all Donation options would be an ideal solution.

Also it would be nice to
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 1:46pm | Report
Okay, so like a dropdown with additional options on hover or click for those buttons?

Also it would be nice to

The suspense is killing me.
Thanks to Nyoike for the sig!
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 1:49pm | Report
Thanks for the feedback Vapora! I understand your qualms with it, we'll see what we can do.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 2:33pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
Okay, so like a dropdown with additional options on hover or click for those buttons?

I don't know the technical terms, but yeah, something like that!

PsiGuard wrote:
The suspense is killing me.

Don't pre-drink and post FailFish

I was going to say it would be nice if we could include Twitch subscriptions amongst the Donation options, especially since Twitch sub buttons just became a lot more widespread so there'd be a lot more use for it right now than a few months ago.

On that note, something I've been thinking recently is
Swuft
<Fabulous>
Swuft's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 3:47pm | Report
I agree with Vapora; it would be nice, once the "Tip Author" button has been clicked, to have the option of choosing the author's PayPal or Patreon. Even a small drop-down option menu would suffice. Some people might prefer a one-time donation, while others may want to donate monthly with Patreon.

I also have a question regarding Patreon and its relation to "monetizing" guides (I prefer Patreon over PayPal for chargeback related reasons). Patreon gives the option of giving donors rewards, so would offering in-guide rewards be a violation of MOBAFire ToS?

I.E. On a Patreon, a donor who gives 5$ will get the option of having a picture of their stats in a Hall of Fame section (just one possible example; on one hand cool interaction with guide viewers, on the other paying for info being added to a guide?)

Violation, or nah?
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 10:42pm | Report
I don't think something like that would be a problem Swuft. It wouldn't be much different than crediting people in your guide like people do now. Except in this case it'd be crediting your supporters I guess.

The hall of fame thing sounds fine to me, though I could see there being limits to what benefits you could have on MF. I can't think of anything in particular that would be rule-breaking though. Upvote or Rep-trading maybe.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2017 11:38pm | Report
What a neat idea! Thanks for supporting all the guide authors by allowing readers to interact via those means. Awesome job, guys :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide