Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Patch 6.17 Summary

Creator: PsiGuard August 24, 2016 5:26pm
1 2
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 5:26pm | Report

Hello and welcome to the MOBAFire Patch Summary - 6.17!

Welcome to the first World's preparation patch, where Riot tackles a lot of the more dominant champions in an effort to shake up the meta picks for international competition. Hold on to your seats, because there's a rollercoaster of champion changes this time around.

Check out the full patch notes for details on any changes that interest you.

Champion Updates

WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!
quick access for concerned players

-
-
+
+
Annie
Ashe
Corki
Diana
+
+
+
-
Draven
Evelynn
Ezreal
Gangplank
-
+
-
+
Gragas
Jayce
Jhin
Jinx
~
+
+
Kennen
Kled
Malphite
Morgana
+
+
-
+
Orianna
Poppy
Rek'Sai
Riven
+
-
+
-
Ryze
Sivir
Thresh
Trundle
+
+
+
Vayne
Veigar
Vi

! = Rework / Gameplay Update* = Mostly bugfix(es) and/or display changes+ = Buff- = Nerf~ = Mixed

Gangplank received the largest set of changes this patch with nerfs targeting his base health, Remove Scurvy mana cost and Cannon Barrage cooldown and damage output. As a staple top laner in the 6.16 meta, Gangplank had many strengths and few weaknesses, with incredible damage output in the late game and reliable early laning. These nerfs weaken Gangplank's early laning phase so his lane opponents have an opportunity to punish him before he can get his items and start dishing out huge amounts of damage.

A lot of marksmen were changed this patch, with the "big three" ( Jhin, Ashe and Sivir) all receiving nerfs to their damage output. With the high levels of utility these champions bring to a team, they were outshining the competition in damage output as well. Buffs to Ezreal, Jinx, Draven and Vayne should help them be more competitive with the previously dominant utility carries. Pay close attention to Ezreal this patch, as he was already picked competitively and is receiving a pretty sizable buff to Rising Spell Force.

The last set of notable changes were nerfs to Gragas and Rek'Sai, the two most powerful and popular junglers in recent competitive play. Both champions received nerfs to the cooldowns of their gap-closing E abilities, making it more punishing should they waste that ability or use it to traverse terrain rather than engage. Both of their ultimates were also nerfed, with Gragas' point-blank Explosive Casks taking longer to detonate while Rek'Sai's Void Rush is on a longer cooldown on par with other powerful global ultimates like Stand United. I doubt we've seen the last of these junglers, but these nerfs should make other junglers a little stronger by comparison.

The rest of the champion changes were mostly small numbers tweaks to cooldowns or mana costs to make some weaker champions feel a little more usable and some stronger champions were toned down slightly. Be sure to check out the table above for details on individual changes to any champions that interest you.

Notable Misc. Changes / Fixes

• Turret changes

• Champions within enemy turret attack range now draw turret aggro when attacking enemy champions within 1400 range of the turret (turret attack range is still unchanged at 775)

• When a turret switches to targeting champions due to having no other units to target, it now prioritizes the closest champion attacking it rather than a random champion in its range

• Removed custom PROJECT chest animations from Hextech Crafting to mitigate a client memory issue that could lead to crashes. Unopened PROJECT chests will still be in your inventory and will still award the same loot, but will use the Premium (purple) Hextech chest animations.

• Fixed a bug where attempting to use the minimap to select a target for a long-range targeted ability (ex. Teleport) could instead target a unit hidden underneath the minimap if the cursor happened to be hovering over that unit

• Players can no longer get stuck in weird states (ex. every button is a ping) if they switch to a different window at the exact moment they input a command

• Kha'Zix no longer loses R - Void Assault’s stealth when activating Youmuu's Ghostblade

• Fixed a bug where Lee Sin’s Q - Resonating Strike dealt no damage if cast while dashing via W - Safeguard

• Fixed a bug where Yasuo’s first basic attack after R - Last Breath was delayed if it was a critical strike

• Improved readability of PROJECT: Ashe 's R - Enchanted Crystal Arrow to use a more clear arrow shape and brighter effect

• Improved readability of PROJECT: Ekko 's passive indicator rings

Splash Updates

Sion's older skin splashes are being updated this patch!

Hextech Sion

Barbarian Sion

Lumberjack Sion

Warmonger Sion

New Chromas

Upcoming Skins

The following skins will be released during patch 6.17:

Share Your Thoughts!

That's it on our end, time to hear from you guys! What are your thoughts on the champion changes this patch? Do you like the updated Sion splash arts? Will you be picking up any of the new chromas or arcade skins?

Let us know in the comments below!
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 8:19am | Report
Quality chromas now

by jhoijhoi ♥
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 9:18am | Report
The long awaited Sion splash art updates look really good. :-)

I especially like Hextech Sion and Lumberjack Sion .
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 10:37am | Report
Proud to say Lumberjack Sion was the first skin I bought :)
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 11:58am | Report
Also happy to see they toned down Tibbers a little bit. I have had multiple games where I've died to that freaking thing after Annie was already dead. Sion wishes Glory in Death was as effective as Tibbers post Mid Season Mage Update Tibbers.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 12:13pm | Report
Death Surge is not nearly enough to catch up to people, but you've got to love the ones who try and fight a dead Sion with 100% life-steal xD

Sion is actually one of my favourite champions in the game, his kit has so much CC it gives the enemy cancer. I don't really know why I even stopped playing him in the first place.

EDIT: I now remember why I stopped, his build path sounded a bit weird to me and still does. Not really sure what to build on him xD Titanic Hydra/ Ravenous Hydra is a personal favourite, but I doubt it is useful in most games.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 1:11pm | Report
Re4XN wrote:
his kit has so much CC it gives the enemy cancer.

Try Sion support if you haven't yet.

Bigger AoE on Moonfall for Diana also seems interesting. Not a huge change, but IMO if you can get ahead on her she was already close to broken. Like as ADC you have to build an a Maw of Malmortius or Banshee's Veil + pray your support builds a Locket of the Iron Solari in order to have a chance of surviving a fed Diana.

Not sure if I'm excited to see buffs to Malphite or not. Probably not, though he was getting beat up in lane by some AD champions which should be really good against.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 1:34pm | Report
VexRoth wrote:

1) Try Sion support if you haven't yet.

2) Not sure if I'm excited to see buffs to Malphite or not. Probably not, though he was getting beat up in lane by some AD champions which should be really good against.

1) I started playing Sion support before it was even cool :P I believe I even made a post about it in Vyn's Support Discussion xD However, I prefer to play the big guy in the Jungle. It just feels better.

2) Personally, I really hate to see Malphite buffs, but I am severely biased, because every time he appears in my games I am playing an AD champion and get trashed late game.

EDIT: How the hell does this work? I have no clue:

Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 1:52pm | Report
Picture links to Nidalee's portrait :D

[url=/images/champion/skins/portrait/nidalee-classic.jpg][img=/images/champion/skins/portrait/gangplank-classic.jpg width=190][/url]

check out my MF guide!
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2016 1:56pm | Report
Quoted:
Picture links to Nidalee's portrait :D

[url=/images/champion/skins/portrait/nidalee-classic.jpg][img=/images/champion/skins/portrait/gangplank-classic.jpg width=190][/url]

Yeah, I actually got that part (like, a minute after posting), but the real question is...

1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide