Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 馃弳
's Forum Avatar

Mafia! A game of Heroes and Villains

Creator: Ninja Trigger December 7, 2016 1:56pm
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 18, 2016 10:04am | Report
Also, just wanted to point out that Investigator's results could/should be ambiguous in order to improve gameplay, for instance:

Legolas visits Re4XN: Your target is a practitioner of powerful magic. They could be Arwen, Gandalf the Gray or Saruman.

or

Heimerdinger vists Re4XN: Your target hides deep secrets. They could be Teemo or LeBlanc.

This way it creates doubt and more room for Mafia to operate. If Town's investigator finds out a certain role, the Mafia can no longer safely claim it.

Either this, or stick with the current scheme of Guilty/Not Guilty.
芒藴聽 Ziggs Guide \\ Pantheon Guide \\ Dr.Mundo Guide 芒藴聽
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 18, 2016 10:35am | Report
Re4XN wrote:
Also, just wanted to point out that Investigator's results could/should be ambiguous in order to improve gameplay, for instance:

Legolas visits Re4XN: Your target is a practitioner of powerful magic. They could be Arwen, Gandalf the Gray or Saruman.

or

Heimerdinger vists Re4XN: Your target hides deep secrets. They could be Teemo or LeBlanc.

This way it creates doubt and more room for Mafia to operate. If Town's investigator finds out a certain role, the Mafia can no longer safely claim it.

Either this, or stick with the current scheme of Guilty/Not Guilty.
I agree, would be more interesting. Once you knew who was maffia there was little discussion left to be had.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Janitsudude

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 8:33am | Report
Also, figured out an ability for The One Ring. Whoever is in possession of it can choose whether to pass it on, use it or destroy it.

*Passing it on is rather straightforward, during the day, person who has the ring gives it to another person;

*Whoever uses it will become invisible for the night. They cannot use their ability for that night, but are also rendered immune to all abilities from other roles (a.k.a., they cannot be killed, investigated, healed or roleblocked). A person cannot use the ring two nights in a row.

*Destroying the ring does exactly that. It destroys it.

Thoughts? I think this would be a slight buff to Balrog, since he can potentially be immune to Gandalf the Gray's visit. Thoughts?
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 10:06am | Report
Re4XN wrote:
Also, figured out an ability for The One Ring. Whoever is in possession of it can choose whether to pass it on, use it or destroy it.

*Passing it on is rather straightforward, during the day, person who has the ring gives it to another person;

*Whoever uses it will become invisible for the night. They cannot use their ability for that night, but are also rendered immune to all abilities from other roles (a.k.a., they cannot be killed, investigated, healed or roleblocked). A person cannot use the ring two nights in a row.

*Destroying the ring does exactly that. It destroys it.

Thoughts? I think this would be a slight buff to Balrog, since he can potentially be immune to Gandalf the Gray's visit. Thoughts?

there should be more of an incentive to pass the ring on, right now the part where the ring kinda corrupts you isn't really reflected. Should the passing on of the ring be private or public? Who should have the ring first?

also a few more things for the game in general: Can Sam prevent frodo from geting killed through the vote during the day?

If boromir becomes evil, does he know who the other evils are? Is he included in the discussions of them?
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 10:42am | Report

there should be more of an incentive to pass the ring on, right now the part where the ring kinda corrupts you isn't really reflected. Should the passing on of the ring be private or public? Who should have the ring first?

also a few more things for the game in general: Can Sam prevent frodo from geting killed through the vote during the day?

If boromir becomes evil, does he know who the other evils are? Is he included in the discussions of them?

Thanks for the feedback :D Sam cannot prevent Frodo from getting lynched. Passing of the ring happens by PM-ing a mod (private) with the name of the person who starts with the ring. During the day. Ex: PM Meiyjhe "I pass the ring to Re4XN".

If Boromir becomes Evil, I think he should know who the other Evils are. Not sure if 3 arrows are a bit OP tho. Maybe only 1 Mafia can kill per night.

Also, if Nazg没l dies, Wormtongue becomes the Killing Mafia role, losing his previous abilites (unless Boromir is present AND Evil, in which case, Boromir can kill people). Saruman has the final word in regards to who should die each night. Wormtongue does his own thing investigating people.

I think the Ring should start with the Fellowship. Not sure how corruption would work though. Perhaps if you keep it for 3 nights in a row you will forcefully bring the ring to Saruman (you won't know who he is though), making a Town victory harder. If Mordor gets its hands on the Ring, it can propel their schemes for a good while without anyone suspecting a thing. Also, I think that if the Ring is destroyed, everyone should be notified the day after. If a person with the Ring is killed, it is stolen by the killer. Gollum is immune to the effects of the Ring (I think, not sure if he should tho???) and wins if he is able to keep it until the game ends. He also wins if Frodo is dead, no matter what the status of the Ring.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 2:45pm | Report
Re4XN wrote:
He also wins if Frodo is dead, no matter what the status of the Ring.
That sounds too easy. He should win only if both Frodo died and he has the Ring.

Re4XN wrote:
Not sure how corruption would work though.
If you keep the Ring for 3 turns you turn into a Nazgul/die unless you are a Nazgul? It can be made more complicated if you want (e.g. you can't give the Ring to someone else unless you're Frodo; Gollum can see who has the Ring and can steal it during the night unless that person performs an action or turns invisible).
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 3:27pm | Report
@ Ekki

Ekki wrote:
That sounds too easy. He should win only if both Frodo died and he has the Ring.

Yeah I thought about that, but don't forget that the Ring can/has to be destroyed by the fellowship, possibly preventing a Gollum win. My current thoughts are that Gollum should win if he has the Ring and Frodo is dead IF the ring has not been destroyed OR Gollum should win if the Ring has been destroyed and Frodo is dead. Still accepting suggestions.

Ekki wrote:
If you keep the Ring for 3 turns you turn into a Nazgul/die unless you are a Nazgul? It can be made more complicated if you want (e.g. you can't give the Ring to someone else unless you're Frodo; Gollum can see who has the Ring and can steal it during the night unless that person performs an action or turns invisible).

In the updated rules (which I haven't posted here yet), Gollum can see who has the One Ring. Not sure if he should take it though, since he can then keep it indefinitely. What do you think?

I do like the idea of turning into a Nazg没l though. Some people might find a possible abuse there, though. Imagine an end game situation 2 Mordor, 2 Fellowship and Balrog. Gimli has the Ring for the second day and night starts. The logical thing to do is turn into a Nazg没l that night and you basically have a ~75% chance of living through it. Even if you do die, you still have a pretty good shot at winning with Mordor. Sounds too gamebreaking IMO.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 5:25pm | Report
I'd prefer the Ring not being possible to "destroy" unless you kill all the Nazgul (so the Fellowship's actual win condition is killing all the Nazgul and then getting the Ring), mostly because being able to destroy the Ring feels kinda out of fantasy :P

Gollum and the Barlog should be neutral characters with solo-win conditions. Gollum wins if he gets the Ring while Frodo is dead (so he should have some way to grab it from other people, and Frodo should be the only one that could take it away from him somehow, as to give the win condition some coherence). The Barlog wins if he avoids getting killed by Gandalf, and since he can't be killed by other characters' powers he should be possible to kill by lyinching (i.e. everyone "teams up" to kill him) as to give him some real threat even if Gandalf is killed early.

Also, after thinking it further, Gollum should be able to steal the Ring only if the person who has it does an action, so if you have it you won't just spam your skill and know you won't lose it. And having the Ring for 3 turns could turn you into Gollum instead of a Nazgul :^)
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 5:58pm | Report
I like your suggestions. The win condition for the Fellowship already is defeat Mordor and destroy the Ring, though I do like the idea of not being able to destroy it until the very end.

Gollum and Balrog have win conditions of their own. If Frodo had the ability to snatch the Ring from Gollum it would balance the thing out (and he could immediately pass the ring the day after to throw Gollum off). I really like this idea. Also good point in regards to Gollum being able to snatch the ring if people aren't at home. I think these are going into the rules :P

The idea of turning into Gollum if you have the Ring after 3 days is not bad, though it creates a problem: what happens to the original Gollum? I think that simply dying is a strong enough motivation to pass it on to the next person.

Balrog is NOT immune to lynching. He can be hanged like any other person, though I don't think his win condition should be "avoid gettin' Gandalf'd", since that sounds kind of easy. I was thinking of a more Neutral stand where he wins by killing both Fellowship AND Mordor, no matter the fate of the Ring, but I admit that might be too harsh/hard to win. The only people Balrog cannot kill at night are Saruman (who now has night immunity) and Gandalf (since Gandalf just comes back) and Frodo if Sam is alive (though Sam will die, since he blocked Balrog's original Target). Saruman coincides with Town interests, while Gandalf coincides with Mordor interests. Might be harsh on the player to try and conciliate both, don't know.

Also, the whole role of Gollum causes problems for everyone, since the Fellowship must destroy the Ring and Mordor must acquire it. If Gollum gets his hands on that and is able to secure it until either the Fellowship or Mordor are defeated, it's a very dangerous win, making him a top priority target for lynching. Sounds lots of fun.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2016 6:13pm | Report
Yeah, I mostly thought only the neutral roles thoroughly. Since the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy is really skewed in favour of Sauron it's really hard to make it a balanced game for the Fellowship/Mordor, but I think tweaking the numbers/powers could make it kinda fair (4 Mordor with 1 kill, 1 interrogation and 1 miscellaneous/unreliable power against 8-9 Fellowship without any direct-kill but a bunch of different ways to be saved sounds nice).

Also, turning into Gollum after 3 turns would just change your win condition and create multiple Gollums. Have in mind that it's 3 turns in a game that would most likely last less than 10 turns, with most of the Gollums generated in between just dying by lynching/night kills, so you won't have too many of them. We could even put 0 Gollums in the beggining. The thing is, it could lead to some fun scenarios with a bunch of Gollums trying to lynch the Frodo after all the Nazgul died.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide