Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Okay, okay. I need some help. [Wireless Lan...

Creator: Wintermond February 8, 2012 11:44am
1 2
Wintermond
<Member>
Wintermond's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 11:44am | Report
Okay, so I have those lags since about two months.
My latency suddenly goes crazy up into 500-1000ms and that's pretty unfortunate ingame.
Noticed that those lags always occur whenever my brother watches a youtube video on his pc.

So, the question is:
How to fix lags on my PC when my brother watches youtube videos?

-He has the newest Flash version.
-He has Windows 7.
-He has Mozilla Firefox, we tried Opera aswell. Same problem.
-We both use Wlan.

El Psy Congroo.

|You can't spell slaughter without laughter.|

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 12:18pm | Report
Punch your brother until he promises to stop watching youtube videos when you're playing.

I was using wireless up until about a month ago. As you might remember I kept getting disconnect problems in almost every game, and ultimately I ended up disconnecting for about five minutes in a game because I was unable to get the wireless to reconnect. Eventually I had to run and get an ethernet cable and I've been using that since.

It's a lot better but still at times my ping will ocassionally jump up to 200 or so for a couple of seconds. I think it's just the connection between my ISP and Riot being sucky.
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 12:40pm | Report
Switching to cable definitely helps. Its more reliable, because less packets get lost. In some cases, it also means lower latency. The speed also depends on your wireless connection and router. If you're using 802.11n you can have same speed as cable while 802.11g can't reach the same speed as cable. Currently 802.11g is still most used. 802.11n can be found on more expensive routers, because it supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency, while 802.11g only supports 2.4GHz.

So switching to a better router that supports 802.11n may help, but don't hold me reliable if it doesn't work. Also your wireless card has to support 802.11n standard aswell.

The language of friendship is not words, but meanings.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 12:44pm | Report
Indeed, as said above; You should go with the Ethernet cable instead of wireless connection. I don't know of a fix to such an issue with wireless, because I have pretty much always used the cable. All I can say is, that if I have internet problems, it's either my browser f'ing sh't up, or it's my internet provider trolling me. (Very, very rare internet problems)
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 1:01pm | Report
Look wireless connection tends to lose more packets per total packets because transfer reliability isn't as good as ethernet. While via cable connection can run smoothly, wireless connection encounters blockers such as wall, other devices running on same frequency,...This makes your connection less reliable and because of that you get disconected more. Also what is your internet speed? Its possible if you have a slower connection, that your brother just takes so much bandwidth that there is barely any left for you, which means that connection cant be running anymore, since you aren't ready to accept all packets.

So this is what my suggestions would be:

1.)Go Ethernet(WLAN was never made for gaming because transfer reliability rate isn't good enough in many cases).

2.)Switch to better protocols, like 802.11n or 802.11g if you're not using it already.

3.)Ask your father/mother or whoever pays for your connection to upgrade it.

4.)Try to put router closer to you, so there is less distance which means less obstacles.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
Wintermond
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 1:22pm | Report
Thanks for the advice guys, but it's kinda hard to get an ethernet cable up here.
I am very satisfied with my Wlan, I never get lags or something and got a damn good connection.
The only problem is, that whenever my brother watches a youtube video, my connection suffers greatly from this.
This needs to be fixed and there has to be a way to fix this issue.

El Psy Congroo.

IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 1:22pm | Report
Tell your bro to get cable.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Wintermond
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 1:28pm | Report
We can't just get cable, we are upstairs and would have to go through walls and stuff.
I would get cable if I could. :P

El Psy Congroo.

IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 1:29pm | Report
I am upstairs with cable as well, it really isn't that big of a deal ^^

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 1:35pm | Report
Does it only happen when he watches Youtube or also when he does things that may burden the connection, like downloading torrents and such things?

Also, does it only happen when its your brother's computer? What if somebody else is watching YouTube in same network on other computer? Does it make slower aswell?

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide