Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

The Death of Dawn-Gate

Creator: Ninja Trigger November 4, 2014 4:45pm
11 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2014 4:45pm | Report
So there is a thread up over on smite fire about it, thought there should also be one here

http://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-dawngate

However from the looks of EA has decided to stab the hearts of it's fans by pulling the plug on it's new Moba DawnGate

I played DawnGate way back when it was still in it's invite only Beta Stage. I think I got in by week 4 or 5. Back when the servers were only opened on the weekends, I even made a handful of posts over on their forums with feed-back on what I liked about the game and what I didn't like about it.

Long story short I grew tired of DawnGate a while ago and I only played maybe 20-40 games of it. It's community was rude, vile, and toxic and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I enjoyed League so I just played League instead.

However seeing the game leave, even makes me sad because I did enjoy it for a time and I'm sure some of it's problems from early Beta were fixed later on. I may be reading to much into the article but it was very clear to me that Way-Stone Studios was crafting a game out of Love, but EA was funding a game so that they could have their hands in the MOBA industry and once it was clear that DawnGate wasn't a League, Dota2, or Smite killer they backed out.
Sig by xDarkWOlfxz
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2014 5:17pm | Report
I found Dawngate to be about as good as League, so it's a shame to see it canceled.
Both LoL and Dawngate are more mechanically mature than DotA (and DotA 2), so if anything I'd rather have seen development for that seized.
Oh well, there will be others that hopefully advance the genre.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2014 11:04pm | Report
EA once again continues to disappoint their fans. Big surprise there.
I'm sad to see dawngate go though
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2014 12:03pm | Report
EA they continue to destroy the hearts and dreams of their fans every day
I stole this Sig idea from SoapSuds
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2014 11:26pm | Report
Ah, sad to see such a good and potential filled game live out its life. I mean, EA is a bad company, but their actions aren't unjustified, it's just the simple cycle of life for companies and developers. Still, it really is such a shame to see such potential just be wasted.

I mean, there are hints that DawnGate isn't going to die out, but those are still things we can't confirm yet.

*sigh*

It was so much fun to play it while it lasted.

And I'm glad that DawnGate decided to also go down the heavy community focused route that Riot has decided to follow. They had the courtesy to refund us all our money that we spent towards it if we were to support it (Hooray for being a really easy spender). Personally, I'd be happy to just leave my money there with them, that's how much I loved the game.

None the less, it's sad to see it go :( No more distractions from League and Smite now I suppose...

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
Last Plagas
<Member>
Last Plagas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 3:32pm | Report
This is really sad.

I've only played about 10 games of dawngate (mostly because I couldn't play when servers were avaliable), but I really enjoyed it. A lot of enjoyment actually came from great visual and sound design (game looks gorgeous and soundtrack is amazing). They were also putting a lot of effort into the lore aspects of the game and the stuff they came up with was pretty fun to read.

Game had little to no marketing and it became an open beta only 5 months ago. Expecting it to compete with Dota 2, LoL and Smite (Smite is very unique and kinda a different story, but still) and win in 5 months is beyond ridiculous.

Worst part is that EA will probably never let the IP of dawngate go, so I don't think we'll see it again. Still interested in what these developers will do next, because they obviously had talented people on the team.
Every time you succeed, I bleed a little.
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 5:32pm | Report
My favorite part about DawnGate was the Karma system at the end of the round it forced you to give or not give players honor/karma which would effect how many points the player would receive based on their attitude.

Players could also be rewarded Heroes, Skins, and other neat things just for not having a bad attitude, which I thought was really cool concept however there were still a butt load of trolls and toxic players, but it was a nice attempt to keep the community less toxic.
Sig by Janitsu
Shaddofokkusu
<Member>
Shaddofokkusu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2014 9:53am | Report
It's kinda a sad day when a game dies, but as I've been streaming it lately I've been running into a lot of issues game wise in terms of balancing. Once a team gets ahead it just spirals out of control from there.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2014 10:28am | Report
It's kinda a sad day when a game dies, but as I've been streaming it lately I've been running into a lot of issues game wise in terms of balancing. Once a team gets ahead it just spirals out of control from there.

I think that's an inherent problem with the genre, it easily snowballs. Dawngate just seems to snowball even easier than the norm.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 26, 2014 12:38am | Report
Dawngate's champion design was hyped so much.
I even watched videos over an hour long where they explained the path of making one of their most innovative champions...

(err how were they called again..? not champions, but?)
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide