Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Does Maokai coounter Riven?

Creator: CppMaster May 2, 2012 4:43pm
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 8:23am | Report
Mao top lane, mao jungle, mao support are all great if you know how to use him. Once fed i will solo almost any champ as mao and win, even if the other champ is equally fed. Lane phase is just challenging against certain opponents.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 4:01pm | Report

Once fed i will solo almost any champ as mao and win, even if the other champ is equally fed.

I doubt it. That's not how Maokai works.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 4:09pm | Report
You can't solo Brand. Fire burns trees. Didn't Pokemon teach you anything?

Maybe if you built full AP, but I don't think a lot of people build him like that -.-
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 4:15pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

I doubt it. That's not how Maokai works.

Ditto. He has strong duels but the chance you'll actually kill the person is low. Making them leave you alone is more likely.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 4:41pm | Report
I do generally build him with alot of ap (this is in TT that i actually go for RAWR damage maokai btw.. Wouldnt dream of trying to do damage as a supporter >,<), and yes... i HAVE dueled champs like Olaf and killed him, i HAVE 1v3'd an all AP team and won, and he CAN kill instead of just making them leave you alone. You just have to time the release of your shield properly and hold back on that last sapling toss to pick up the kill as they run away, and if that doesnt do it, it will at least slow them enough (since i always get ryalis when i build rawr mao) that the CD on my twisted advance kicks off, and i can advance to them, arcane smash them, and start the cycle all over again. He is a crazy duelist when built properly.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 4:53pm | Report

i HAVE dueled champs like Olaf and killed him,

Baddie.
Turbo Punz
<Member>
Turbo Punz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 5:20pm | Report
Maybe Udyr can be a good counter to Riven. LOL come to think of it, Udyr counters most solo tops. Lee sin could also be an option.

Sexy General Odd-Bro is Sexy

+Rep me if you found anything helpful from me

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the beautiful signaures

PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 5:37pm | Report
Udyr and Olaf are both very strong opponents for Riven. I don't think I've played Riven vs. Lee matchup, so I can't say for sure how that would go. Lee's pretty strong, so I'd expect he'd do decently at least.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 5:50pm | Report
^^ what they said. Udyr, olaf, and lee would probably do pretty well. At the very least make it 50/50.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2012 5:55pm | Report
The only benefit to Mao in top lane is Twisted Advance+Arcane Smash. Those 2 things+your jungler should mean a forced enemy flash or a kill. Beyond that Maokai's early farming ability is lack luster and his damage is too unreliable.

@lugi: He isn't a top laner/played top at high elo because Oddone just jungles him, it's because there are so many stronger choices to go with. That isn't to say Maokai isn't stong, Mao is, but he's the type of option you go with if you have an early ganking jungler that can scale well into late game...Ironically I suppose Riven fits that description I think...

BoT: NO maokai does NOT counter Riven top.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide