Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Nunu top, underestimated ?

Creator: Flip-Flap April 15, 2013 11:13am
1 2 3
Flip-Flap
<Member>
Flip-Flap's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:13am | Report
Hey there !

So, I'm a fairly bad LoL player willing to learn some stuff, and I've been wondering : How's Nunu doing in the top lane ?
I think he has anything a top laner would need : good sustain, good poke, not very mana-hungry... The only problem would be the trades, since he doesn't have much left to do once he used his E... Considering that, here are some questions :

- Why Nunu is so rare in the top lane ?
- Can items like Malady improve Nunu's ability to trade, consdering his Blood Boil ?
- Is Nunu effective enough when built like an AP/tanky champ ?

By the way, please forgive my bad English, I'm trying my best...
Thanks a lot for reading, and have a nice day ! :)
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:35am | Report
even though he can sustain for days, he's not a bully and is a mediocre duelist, mainly against ad casters. Nunu is most effective when he can take advantage of spamming E with a very nice amount of ap, even though it's probably his only damage skill (R doesn't count).
AD Nunu might be fun but has a really hard time to be effective (if ever), but i never bothered to try Malady.

he screws Yorick over, though.

Sig made by Aquilegia
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:37am | Report
AP Nunu & Willump can win some lanes ( Garen). But he is no duelist and he's no carry.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:37am | Report
Tbh i was thinking more of like a liandry's rush. Thoughts?
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:40am | Report
I honestly play him like an AP bruiser with Abyssal Mask, Liandry's Torment and Sunfire Aegis. But that's just me.
Flip-Flap
<Member>
Flip-Flap's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:49am | Report
What about some AP stuff, like Liandry, plus Malady, Nashor's tooth ? Would it help ?
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:53am | Report
Nah, AP Nunu & Willump doesn't really even auto attack. Blood Boil is just a buff for your adc, so dont build into his ability to auto attack at all. His damage is entirely made up of his Ice Ball and his ult. Lich Bane may be an effective purcahse with a Deathcap though.

But as a melee character I feel he ultimately needs to be built bulky.
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 11:57am | Report
somehow i always rush Rod of Ages.

As requested to GMD himself.
Aseafy
<Member>
Aseafy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 12:00pm | Report
This is a commonly made mistake, nunu does not have great base stats, he has amazing ratios. This means haunting guise and abyssal aren't that great unless you already have a lot of ap (better built late game). Nunu should be building things like rod of ages, rabadons, zhonyas, void staff.

You also need some mana in lane, so that you can spam your e. Chalice/athenes , or morello are the best choices. Even tho nunu has a good passive, it still doesn't sustain you forever if you want to zone the enemy.

Nunu is only good because of his empire ult, this means you need pink wards for mid to late game when you plan to ult.

Only pick nunu as a counterpick because he can zone very well. Against singed, jax, the list goes on. You wanna max e and then max q, there may be cases where you don't even take w cos q sustain is overpowered.

As for laning, nunu's autoattacks will hurt since you can hit a few after you land e. If the enemy starts fighting you, you will have the advantage because their attackspeed is slowed, and no one has as good sustain as nunu early on. Once you get ult, you'll want to e them, and walk beside them for an ult, usually popping flash. DON'T push your lane unles you plan to ward everywhere so that you can zone them under their turret.

YOUR MAIN GOAL IS ZONING. Nunu is not very good out of lane, and is only good occassionally when he gets the opportunity to hit a good ult. However, if you zone the enemy from any cs, you will still be more useful.

The second choice is to build full tank support, but it starts losing its power in lane after a bit. It is really good if you want to ignore the enemy laner and take their turret tho (frozen heart, randuins etc)
In-depth guide to the Twisted Treeline - Whether you want to play competitively or for fun (:
Find the fun of ranked 3's by clicking here!

Thank you to The Nameless Bard for my signature!
Flip-Flap
<Member>
Flip-Flap's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2013 12:06pm | Report
Well, thanks everyone for your advices ! I think I'll keep practicing Nunu top, so I can pick it in ranked games when there's someone to counter !

Moreover, I'm now wondering if I could make Nunu my "main", while playing it as an AP tanky champ (I'm quite bored with the full tank build tbh...). Is it possible ?
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide