Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Pantheon Nerfs Context?

Creator: Re4XN February 24, 2016 4:20pm
1 2
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 24, 2016 4:20pm | Report
So I have recently seen the incoming nerfs to Pantheon in the 6.5 PBE cycle and I am not exactly sure why he is in need of a nerf.
He is a very hit or miss champion, depending on what you build. If you go tank, you lack damage, if you go damage, you are required to win lane.

What I'd like to know is why is Riot nerfing him? Yes his win ratio is high, but it always has been, he's a very snowball heavy champion. Pantheon is not in a very good spot right now (I'd say he's in an okay one), and these nerfs really came out of nowhere. I understand that the rise of AD Assasins has had its consequences, but this nerf will hinder him somewhat. I am perfectly fine with his ultimate time refund being nerfed, and even the mana refund, but why touch his Heartseeker Strike?

In the end, it might not even make such a big difference (though still a very noticeable one, for me), but I'd just like some enlightening on why was he nerfed?

Does anyone have any ideas?
I want to be a Blitzball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 24, 2016 11:12pm | Report
I have played a little Panth, so I like to guess it's simply that his ability to stomp is just through the roof. Once you get rolling it's quite hard to deal with him, and if they do you just ult somewhere else.

Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 25, 2016 5:45am | Report
I have played a little Panth, so I like to guess it's simply that his ability to stomp is just through the roof. Once you get rolling it's quite hard to deal with him, and if they do you just ult somewhere else.

How is it hard to deal with him? He gets absolutely blown up after getting CC'd, since he (unlike other assasins) has no escapes.

Yes, his early game is overwhelming and very aggressive, but it's manageable if you know how to lane against him. He is easily gankable, since he has no escapes and that's it for him. If you prevent him from snowballing early on, he can't do much later.

1 v 1 it's hard to deal with him if he's ahead, but in a fight, if he gets focused he's useless.

Also I don't understand why the refund on ult cancel was removed. Makes no sense, his mana pool is already low and this is just another thing you'll have to take into account when playing him now. I can't say I don't agree with the increase of time on cancel, 10 seconds was indeed quite low, but w/e.

Perhaps it is just me overreacting, but I'd like to know other opinions.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 25, 2016 6:44am | Report
Re4XN wrote:
Also I don't understand why the refund on ult cancel was removed. Makes no sense, his mana pool is already low and this is just another thing you'll have to take into account when playing him now. I can't say I don't agree with the increase of time on cancel, 10 seconds was indeed quite low, but w/e.
The ult cancel is out of place. Most champions that cancel their channel don't get the mana refund and often not even the CD reduction. You could literally spam R then cancel it, yet it had real game consequences (people reacting to your ult, trying to cancel it or run from it). Now at least it's a bit more of a commitment.

On the E changes, I've no idea what's the reason behind them. It's mostly a late game nerf and most Pantheons max Q first so I'm guessing he's doing too well late game. It's also an early game minion damage buff, even if very minor.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2016 3:33pm | Report
I feel like there's a bit more going on than him just "having a high win ratio like he always has". Last time I checked these stats (~2-3 patches ago), his win rate was about the same but his play percentage was between 1 and 2%. Now 6.67% may still not seem like a lot, but it's actually the 6th highest percentage for top laners (as can be seen when sorting by that stat). The fact that his win rate has remained consistently - very - high despite the pick rate increasing to 3 times what it was before indicates that he may be in a more than "okay" spot.

I haven't really seen or played him enough to know whether or not these nerfs are justified, mind you, I just feel like I should point that out.

Also yes I realise Nautilus' win/pick ratios are completely nuts, wouldn't be surprised to see him receive nerfs too :P

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2016 4:15pm | Report
Here, have some context, I guess...

Wayne3100 wrote:
The fact that his win rate has remained consistently - very - high despite the pick rate increasing to 3 times what it was before indicates that he may be in a more than "okay" spot.
So since Riot didn't explain too much I'm guessing it's this.

Also I still believe the free ult reset is completely out of place, even if he was balanced that should have gone.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 1:29am | Report
Yeah, I've already read that post. His ult reset was not free, you still had to wait 10 seconds and you lost some mana, but yeah, it currently is very 'useful' to Pantheon players :P

The only thing I can't seem to make sense out is the damage cut to his E, that's a lot of damage they are taking away from him, considering he literally has 3 spells in a skirmish, unlike others who have 4. I know that 360% scaling IS ridiculous, and 300% still is, but meh. Perhaps it's just that period in time where I get mad at Rito. We've all been there xd
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 2:14am | Report
His E deals pretty much the same damage at level 1 of the skill since early on you don't have too much bonus AD. I guess that nerf is just a way to cut his late game power a bit, since AFAIK you should always max Q first. You know, deepen the weak spots instead of blunting the strenghts.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 5:20am | Report
Ekki wrote:
His E deals pretty much the same damage at level 1 of the skill since early on you don't have too much bonus AD. I guess that nerf is just a way to cut his late game power a bit, since AFAIK you should always max Q first. You know, deepen the weak spots instead of blunting the strenghts.

Yeah, I undertsand. Not like his late game was spectacular or anything, but I can see it. Though his late game will be even more of a pile of **** than it was before, since the AoE damage you deal in fights got cut (slaughtered).
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 8:33am | Report
It probably has to do with him being too good splitpushing? I don't actually know how good is him on an average game. Haven't had the opportunity to see a not uber-fed Pantheon fall off late game. Lately they seem to either get fed and carry their game or just lose before they get to be useless late game.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide