's Forum Avatar

Ryze Counters

Creator: Vitigam
March 19, 2012 4:40am
113 posts page 1 of 12 Forums » Theory Crafting & Ideation » Ryze Counters
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vitigam » March 19, 2012 4:40am | Report
Hey,

I love playing Ryze and I am fairly good at him. I just want to know and make a list of Ryze counters. Someone told me that anyone that has higher range on his abilities that Rune Prison] and Overload can counter him, is this true?

Thanks,
Vitigam

Thanks to Arcana3

Check Out All These Peeps Who Make Sigs <3
LaCorpse, Jhoijhoi, Miss Maw, Arcana3
Xiron
Vitigam's Forum Avatar
Vitigam
<Member>
Rep: Notable (33)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Luther3000 » March 19, 2012 9:31am | Report
Cassiopeia.

Cassiopeia counters everyone.

Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Rep: Distinguished (398)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by tweeboy2 » March 19, 2012 9:55am | Report
I don't know if it's just me, but I always get beat by a Brand when I play mid Ryze. And I'm a decent Ryze player. I don't main him but I understand how to play the champ and won much more games with him than the amount I have lost with him.

Brand was really the only champion that popped into my mind. Usually I just tie with other champs or win the lane hard.

I just opened up the champion database and am going to just go down the list for champions I've laned against. This is for MID LANE. I haven't played Ryze top.

AND AGAIN PLEASE NOTE: I'm NOT a PRO Ryze player. I consider myself average, maybe ever so slightly above average. I'm sure others will post better responses. This is just something to compare responses to.

Ahri - No real trouble. Just be careful because after she gets her ult if your hp is below half she can usually secure a kill on you.
Annie - Don't let her burst you. But that's pretty obvious. She's squishy, stomp on her.
Brand - Stated above. He's the only counter I've found for Ryze that works well. Well, him and Cassiopeia.
Caitlyn - Just have to be careful. She can hurt. And when you're low she'll just keep hitting you then ult.
Cassiopeia - Difficult lane. I played against a Cassiopeia recently. I just tried avoiding her abilities as much as possible. I haven't played against any GOOD Cassiopeias, but the ones who are average do give me trouble. And the ones who suck just aren't careful and get caught by me.
Dr. Mundo - After his ult he can get annoying. And those cleavers. Just avoid those cleavers. They. Get. So. Annoying.
Fiddlesticks - Fear > Drain, look out for that. I don't see many Fiddlesticks lane but when they do always be looking out for that. Otherwise he'll take out half your health and will be full himself.
Gragas - Avoid his barrels. He's got some sustain and mana restore. Tricky lane if the Gragas is good.
Karthus - Didn't really have any problems with him (Except when I'd kill him and be low HP, and he'd use his ult just for me -__-).
Kassadin - He's an anti-AP carry. Just be careful. Work with your jungler. If you can out-harass him good. After he gets his ult he'll just burst you burst you burst you (at least that's what Kassadin players I've played against have done).
LeBlanc - Super squishy, but super burst. Be weary.
Lux - Eh. Depends if the player is good at harassing or not.
Malzahar - Some difficulty. He just becomes a pain in the ***. And just restores his mana every time minions build up.
Mordekaiser - Don't let him build up his shield. ANY damage you can do to get rid of it helps. And once his shield is down get your combo out, retreat, repeat.
Morgana - Her sustain and farming capabilities can get annoying. I don't like her snare.
Orianna - Definitely a scenario where your friend is right. The range on her ball allows Orianna to harass Ryze safely. And once she gets a blue buff Ryze needs to play super passive.
Ryze - Just out combo him. Make sure to throw in autoattacks whenever possible so your burst is stronger.
Swain - Not too difficult. If he gets his burst out though your hp can run low.
Veigar - BURST. AVOID IT.
Ziggs - Avoid his Q and don't be trapped by his E.

FOR THOSE who do not like my wall of text:

Your friend is right, somewhat. The champions with further ranges (Cass, Ori, Brand, etc.) have an advantage over Ryze.
tweeboy2's Forum Avatar
tweeboy2
<Member>
Rep: Unremarkable (11)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wayne3100 » March 19, 2012 9:59am | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Cassiopeia.

Galio says hi

Thanks to jhoijhoi, GrandmasterD, The_Nameless_Bard, MissMaw, JEFFY40HANDS, Xiron and myself for the sigs!
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Wayne3100
<I Am The Law>
Rep: Distinguished (360)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Luther3000 » March 19, 2012 10:00am | Report
**** Galio.

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vitigam » March 19, 2012 7:22pm | Report
tweeboy2 wrote:

I don't know if it's just me, but I always get beat by a Brand when I play mid Ryze. And I'm a decent Ryze player. I don't main him but I understand how to play the champ and won much more games with him than the amount I have lost with him.

Brand was really the only champion that popped into my mind. Usually I just tie with other champs or win the lane hard.

I just opened up the champion database and am going to just go down the list for champions I've laned against. This is for MID LANE. I haven't played Ryze top.

AND AGAIN PLEASE NOTE: I'm NOT a PRO Ryze player. I consider myself average, maybe ever so slightly above average. I'm sure others will post better responses. This is just something to compare responses to.

Ahri - No real trouble. Just be careful because after she gets her ult if your hp is below half she can usually secure a kill on you.
Annie - Don't let her burst you. But that's pretty obvious. She's squishy, stomp on her.
Brand - Stated above. He's the only counter I've found for Ryze that works well. Well, him and Cassiopeia.
Caitlyn - Just have to be careful. She can hurt. And when you're low she'll just keep hitting you then ult.
Cassiopeia - Difficult lane. I played against a Cassiopeia recently. I just tried avoiding her abilities as much as possible. I haven't played against any GOOD Cassiopeias, but the ones who are average do give me trouble. And the ones who suck just aren't careful and get caught by me.
Dr. Mundo - After his ult he can get annoying. And those cleavers. Just avoid those cleavers. They. Get. So. Annoying.
Fiddlesticks - Fear > Drain, look out for that. I don't see many Fiddlesticks lane but when they do always be looking out for that. Otherwise he'll take out half your health and will be full himself.
Gragas - Avoid his barrels. He's got some sustain and mana restore. Tricky lane if the Gragas is good.
Karthus - Didn't really have any problems with him (Except when I'd kill him and be low HP, and he'd use his ult just for me -__-).
Kassadin - He's an anti-AP carry. Just be careful. Work with your jungler. If you can out-harass him good. After he gets his ult he'll just burst you burst you burst you (at least that's what Kassadin players I've played against have done).
LeBlanc - Super squishy, but super burst. Be weary.
Lux - Eh. Depends if the player is good at harassing or not.
Malzahar - Some difficulty. He just becomes a pain in the ***. And just restores his mana every time minions build up.
Mordekaiser - Don't let him build up his shield. ANY damage you can do to get rid of it helps. And once his shield is down get your combo out, retreat, repeat.
Morgana - Her sustain and farming capabilities can get annoying. I don't like her snare.
Orianna - Definitely a scenario where your friend is right. The range on her ball allows Orianna to harass Ryze safely. And once she gets a blue buff Ryze needs to play super passive.
Ryze - Just out combo him. Make sure to throw in autoattacks whenever possible so your burst is stronger.
Swain - Not too difficult. If he gets his burst out though your hp can run low.
Veigar - BURST. AVOID IT.
Ziggs - Avoid his Q and don't be trapped by his E.

FOR THOSE who do not like my wall of text:

Your friend is right, somewhat. The champions with further ranges (Cass, Ori, Brand, etc.) have an advantage over Ryze.

Thanks for the informative post.

Thanks to [/url]Arcana3

Check Out All These Peeps Who Make Sigs <3
LaCorpse, Jhoijhoi, Miss Maw, Arcana3
Xiron
Vitigam's Forum Avatar
Vitigam
<Member>
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheWeekndOVOXO » March 19, 2012 8:13pm | Report
^ I second that, +rep. That guy took some time to write that and I also appreciate what he wrote.

(Discontinued)
TheWeekndOVOXO's Forum Avatar
TheWeekndOVOXO
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CasterMaster » March 19, 2012 8:18pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Cassiopeia.

He's at it again >.>

My Elise Guide | My Kassadin Guide
Thanks to jhoijhoi, albableat, Arcana3, GMD and I for the awesome sigs!
CasterMaster's Forum Avatar
CasterMaster
<Veteran>
Rep: Distinguished (315)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Luther3000 » March 19, 2012 8:38pm | Report
Shh, you know it's true.

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CasterMaster » March 19, 2012 9:44pm | Report
Well I think Ahri makes a decent Cassiopeia counter now. Also the new item and blue buff mana regeneration decrease is really going to hurt casters hard.

My Elise Guide | My Kassadin Guide
Thanks to jhoijhoi, albableat, Arcana3, GMD and I for the awesome sigs!
CasterMaster's Forum Avatar
CasterMaster
<Veteran>
Rep: Distinguished (315)
Blog   |   Profile

Quick Reply:

Guest commenting is currently disabled, please log in or sign up to respond!