Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Sion

Creator: RainbowRaddish March 21, 2013 6:47pm
48 posts - page 4 of 5
BusDriver210
<Member>
BusDriver210's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 4:59pm | Report

Why doesn't anyone play Sion as more of a tank if he has such issues building as a damage dealer? I'm actually curious.

Like couldn't he go pretty much flat tank with maybe one or two damage items and still be a relevant tank? Being kited like mad makes him a cruddy anti-carry, so my logic thinks he'd simply be a better peeler and front line defense.

I completely agree. I think his built in damage is enough and I usually just build him very tank with some AS/Crit. In heavy assassin comps he works wonders where people have to jump into his range to be effective.
+Rep me if i'm useful!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 5:06pm | Report
I was curious because I don't ever see/play Sion but when I do see him people build like flat carry items thinking their ultimate just makes them never die as they dive 5 people. >.>

I feel like if I did play him I'd build something like

Mercury's Treads > Bloodthirster > Randuin's Omen > Blade of the Ruined King > Last Whisper/More armor > Spirit Visage/more damage.

but then, I've never played him in an actual 5v5 game. My build probably looks stupid to actual sion players.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 6:12pm | Report
If you want a real tank Sion you will need Frozen Mallet, since it is a great item for sticking power and to apply hits with your ult. I also have a build for that:

Item Sequence

Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Boots 300
Madred's Razors 750
Mobility Boots 1000
Vampiric Scepter 900
Phage 1100
Zeal 1100
Frozen Mallet 3100
Phantom Dancer 2800
Mercury's Treads 1100
Enchantment: Alacrity 450
Randuin's Omen 2700
Spirit Visage 2900
Ravenous Hydra 3300

This makes him way more durable than my 1. build. It also gives good and valuable cc-options to him with multiple slows. You get early Mobility Boots so your ganks are better. Phage+ Zeal are great early as they increase your gank power even further with potential slow and bonus MS and AS. Then Frozen Mallet, so noone can escape you after you did hit him. Also from now on your HP should be really high. Then finish Phantom Dancer. The 30% crit chance are huge for Sion, the AS, the passive and the MS aswell. All stats he wants. Then you will normally need Mercury's Treads as cc will be a bigger problem. After that, you definitly want more resistances, this is best archieved by Randuin's Omen and Spirit Visage. They also provide HP and usefull other effects. Finally, you upgrade your little Vampiric Scepter into a giantic Ravenous Hydra, which makes sure they will fear you.

Of course, adapt the build to your situation. If you need early resistances, get items like Negatron Cloak or Warden's Mail.

I feel like that build is more competetively, while the lifesteal build is more fun based. But in the end, this build has still 134.4 lifesteal.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 6:58pm | Report
I just don't think he makes an amazing tank because he doesnt have a whole lot of peel. Take two other very popular tanks for example, Nautilus and Maokai.

Naut has 4 abilities that can be used as a peeling ability to get people off of your carries (altho 3 are really the practical ones): Staggering Blow, Dredge Line, Riptide and if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO Depth Charge, although I seriously hesitate to ever use this ability for this purpose unless you're already in the middle of a big teamfight and it can hit more than one person. Stuns, slows, and pulls- VERY effective at keeping threats off of your carry.

Maokai has 2, but they are extremely effective- Twisted Advance and arcane smash. TA has a very nice range and is targeted, and lasts a decent amount of time, and ArcSmash is AOE and includes a bounce and slow. He also makes a great tank because of his ult, Vengeful Maelstrom- that damage reduction is an INCREDIBLE teamfight maker.

Now lets compare that to Sion. Cryptic Gaze. aaaand thats about it, built in. I just think that the RIDICULOUS ap ratios on both Cryptic Gaze and Death's Caress OR the damage increase plus the lifesteal and stupid attack speed buff on Cannibalism (either/or) makes him a much more effective damage dealer.

Just IMO.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Jpikachu1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 7:15pm | Report

I just think that the RIDICULOUS ap ratios on both Cryptic Gaze and Death's Caress OR the damage increase plus the lifesteal and stupid attack speed buff on Cannibalism (either/or) makes him a much more effective damage dealer.

Just IMO.

Of course he is a much more effective damage dealer. The problem is, with AD Sion, he never gets to where he wants, and he immediately gets focused once he pops ult if the enemy team is smart. The problem with AP Sion, he gets bursted so his shield can't go off (literally like 50% of his burst), and then he is pretty much useless the rest of the fight. Also, AP Sion falls off super hard late game when anyone can pop his shield. Thus, he's kinda forced to build tank or be very situationally useful.

If I helped you, click that +rep!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 7:41pm | Report
Like someone mentioned he can be a decent anti-Assassin. His job can be just to kill those who try to get close to your carry, and since those targets are generally tanks/bruisers and assassins, I think Blade of the Ruined King/ Last Whisper and mostly tank items help that job. Going balls deep towards their carries seems silly on Sion.
DarkPercy
<Member>
DarkPercy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 7:51pm | Report

Like someone mentioned he can be a decent anti-Assassin. His job can be just to kill those who try to get close to your carry, and since those targets are generally tanks/bruisers and assassins, I think Blade of the Ruined King/ Last Whisper and mostly tank items help that job. Going balls deep towards their carries seems silly on Sion.

This is something everyone forgets. It's like they kept their level 20 mentality when speaking about melee AD carries (probably because the last time they played a melee AD carry was when they were level 20 lol).

Most AD melee carries get kited hard if they chase an enemy for too long. A melee AD carry isn't an assassin lol. Sion doesn't get kited when he's staying near just in front of his carries. No need to extend more than that. Plus, your ult heals your carry if you're attacking an enemy that's on top on your carry (GG?)

Thanks to TinyStar for the sig :3
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 7:56pm | Report
Yea, I've always viewed Sion as a bruiser. I don't know where the whole "lol build crit and AS" build started or why people still do it. Seems counter-intuitive to everything in his build except his ult, really.
BusDriver210
<Member>
BusDriver210's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 27, 2013 10:13pm | Report

Yea, I've always viewed Sion as a bruiser. I don't know where the whole "lol build crit and AS" build started or why people still do it. Seems counter-intuitive to everything in his build except his ult, really.

Well he just has a really nice AD&Lifesteal steroid. I just enjoy the crits really. :3

If I were to stray from my personal feelings for viability, I would focus on Ravenous Hydra and probably use Blade of the Ruined King. Also Guinsoo's Rageblade is totally viable on him due to his insane ratios. (aforementioned above)

You just can't put him in a position where he needs to initiate. That is when it blows to be Sion.

Edit: I also think Mercurial Scimitar is much better than Spirit Visage on Sion. Just my opinion.
+Rep me if i'm useful!
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 28, 2013 2:08am | Report
But Spirit Visage is first way cheaper and if the enemy doesn't have a big amount of cc which can really stop you from protecting, you don't need it. Also, it offers a great amount of CDR for more stuns. Also, it offers at least 20% lifesteal while your ult is active.

BTW: I think people don't like this protection playstyle on this site at all. I mean, I said the same for Udyr, which also has a stun and is very kiteable, the only thing they said is Kha'Zix.

Also, with the new experience I would now present you supportive Sion, which does everything to help his team and protect his carry. This is basically the same idea like behind the Nasus jungle plays lately.

Item Sequence

Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Health Potion 50
Mobility Boots 1000
Madred's Razors 750
Ruby Sightstone 1600
Aegis of the Legion 1200
Locket of the Iron Solari 2200
Runic Bulwark 2950