Sejuani Build Guide by Exs Xena
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
+10% Attack Speed
+15-90 HP (lvls 1-18)
Threats & Synergies
Lee Sin has very fast early clear, he might get to gank other lanes before you even get a chance. Try to punish him when he's out of position, or to countergank him.
Has the opportunity, based on her very fast clearing kit to invade you early on in the game. Keep a control ward at one of your buffs or jungle entrance. In skirmishes, she shouldn't be to much of a threat unless she's hardfed.
Not the biggest threat jungling wise, but can turn ganks very very effectively, quite dangerous if not prep't right.
Has low early game clearing speed, you're immune to his cc, and he has no chances of counterjungling you.
Has big impact in early skirmishes, be aware of his clearing speed and keep good vision controll!
Has no early game pressure, needs at least level 5 to gank. Try to punish his early actions by taking a few camps away, this will delay his E to stack up in level, and it will completely shut him down early on.
Can outplay Sejuani easily with her spellshield (E). But when this ability is down, she has no escaping tools, so focus on ganking her when she doesn't have it up.
She should be quite safe against your ganks because of her spellshield.
When ganking a Lissandra, it's key essential to combine your Glacial Prison with her Frozen Tomb. Badly coordinated ganks or skirmishes may lead to enemies getting away even though you have massive cc in your skill set.
You have a great synergy between the Glacial Prison and the Enchanted Crystal Arrow. Focus on this combo when ganking an Ashe lane.
Combining thresh' death sentence and your Winter's Wrath is a strong setup for high cc amount and big damage burst. Focus on combining this cc chain!
Ryze cc with Sejuani cc, no further help needed I assume!
Irelia's E stun, combined with her aa's will auto proc Sejuani's Permafrost (E), which you can follow op with your Glacial Prison (R). This is super OP! This combo is known to work very very effectively in pro play and soloq.
See +- Irelia
You don't really have much to combine, focus should be put out to unlocking your permafrost so Fizz has the time to burst the enemy down.
Aurelion Sol has nothing to combine with Sejuani. He has no melee attacks, so can't help Sej stacking his Permafrost, neither has point & click cc to chain, overall weak synergie.
When Sejuani can ult someone under tower with his shuffle, you could combine this with a Glacial Prison, which will almost always lead to a kill. Apart from that, there isn't really any good synergie between the Emperor and the Freljord's babe.
2 Monster tanks, is often a key to success. Atleast if you have a good adcarry player. (xd) Combing cc is guaranteed, given Mundo has melee attacks and crowd controll himself.
Champion Build Guide
[9.13] "Trust nothing but your strength."By Exs Xena
Furthermore I'm a business engineering student at the Catholic University of Leuven (Belgium). I'm a big fan of eSports, watching it ever since I started playing competitive League. I'm supporting King-Zone DragonX.
Why did I decide to spend a couple of hours writing a guide for Sejuani I hear you asking yourself? And it's a good question indeed. I've been playing LoL throughout all types of meta's, i've played different roles and different champions, so I decided it was time to make a good, clear and honest guide for one of my all time favourite champions. I check Mobafire's Sejuani guides and as far as I could see, most of them aren't up to date, so I decided to help the LoL community and share my personal view and personal experiences for this champion.
I really do hope you enjoy reading my guide, well substantiated criticism is more than welcome, since it's my first guide. If you have something else to tell me, just comment on this guide!
+ Very strong pick potential
+ Tons of crowd control
+ Nasty tankiness in mid to late game, but still high amounts of damage
+ Overall relatively easy abilities and mechanics
+ Great objective control
|Sejuani is a monster in cc'ing enemy champions. Imagine having a hardfed Twitch on the enemy team, who's getting flanked by Sejuani in combination with Orianna's Command: Shockwave! Apart from that she's fairly easy to play, and has strong skirmishing power. Once late game has arrived, your entire backline will be safe when you'll play Sejuani. You'll have around 5k hp, and 200+ armor and magic resist, a true nightmare for every adc and midlane assasin.|
- Slow early clear
- No real impact in early skirmishes when she has cooldowns
- Low game impact if you don’t properly know how to play her
|Eventhough Sejuani has relative easy going abilities, she can be punished very hard by her enemies for over greeding. One of the biggest mistakes I tend to see is people getting too greedy because they miscalculate their tankiness, and they don't properly know how to set up plays with Sejuani. Furthermore she tends to be weaker in fights when she has cooldowns.|
When you play tanky junglers such as Sejuani, Zac, Jarvan IV,... it's always necessary to take one tick of attack speed in your rune page. This will allow you to have much faster jungle clearing speed, which leads to you having a bigger early game impact. This is something a lot of people know, but still it's worth mentioning given the value of this point.
Vision controll is a key element in becoming a successful jungler. Since Riot nerfed the sightstone on junglers, it became a whole lot more difficult for the tanky supports to get good vision, one of the key things why tanky junglers were so strong in S6. So since it got nerfed, you should know the important spots to ward, because less wards equals better placing wards right?
Start/early game: At the very beginning of the game, the one thing you'll want to do is track the enemy jungler, both so you know which camps he has taken already, and so your laners know when to take a step back for a potential gank.
Post 10min: after 10minutes, you'll hopefully have gained an advantage, so you can start getting deeper wards into the enemy jungle. This way you can track the enemey jungler even more effective, and you can start dominating his side of the jungle when he makes a mistake.
mid to late game: At the moment the game is going to mid to late game, you want to keep good vision controll around key objectives, such as baron, and dragons. You should be aware of a steal opportunity, so you should always keep a ward on flank spots and behind the pit. Always bring a Control Ward!
I think no one will be surprised to see this one popping up first, although some people tend to play Sejuani with the challanger smite, which isn't really my trick to be fair. The reason I think Sejuani should ever and always be played with the Stalker's Blade, is the great interaction with her abilityies. Sejuani as a champ is based around two things: tanking, and crowd controll. With the Stalker's Blade into your kit, you'll be even more powerful in this second part, allowing you to get more ganking pressure and teamfighting coordination.
Boots of Speed
On Sejuani, there isn't really one type of boots you should always rush, like on Lee Sin, or on Janna, but still we got quite something to say about boots choices.
- Mercury's Treads: Strong against heavy AP comps, with tons of CC, otherwise not that strong on Sejuani given her passive already gives a lot of immunity to cc.
- Ninja Tabi: Strong choice when the enemey's have atleast 2 auto atackers such as Twitch, Ashe or Riven, furthermore interesting to rush on Seju when you are playing against a heavy phsyical damage early game jungler, such as Lee Sin or Xin Zhao.
In modern day League of Legends, both in low elo soloq, high elo soloq and in pro play, the big second item for Sejuani is her Warmog's Armor. At the moment she'll start finishing her Warmogs, she'll already have boots for extra resitances, and she has her passive, combined giving her a strong amount of resitances available (eventually added with rune related resistances), which leads to a natural choice of the Warmogs as second item. You might fall 100 or 200hp short on its passive, but don't you worry, you can just buy an extra Ruby Crystal or wait for a level up.
Third and fourth item
For the third and fourth item, there isn't really "the one". It depends on a variety of matchups and comps, leading you to a third and fourth item. For instance, if the enemy teams is heavily physical damage, you'll want to grab a Thornmail and a Dead Man's Plate, opposite to a heavy ability power damage team, where you'll want to grab a Spirit Visage third.
- Spirit Visage: Great third item, given it gives you cdr, which is handy for your Glacial Prison, mr, hp, and a heal buffing passive, which is a great combination with your Warmog's Armor.
- Randuin's Omen: Very strong against 2 or more heavy attack speed focused champions, such as Twitch or Kindred jungle, and almost the entire adcarry pool. The crit reduction comes in clever against these types of champions aswell. I personally preffer this item over most other armor items, because you can slow their entire team, given you'll be in the middle of the fight.
- Frozen Heart: Gives you a hefty amount of armor and mana, which is a good choice when you'll be doing a lot of fighting. Sejuani has quite a big mana drain, which can cause her to be out of mana when the fight is coming to an end. To avoid this problem, and to avoid the possibility of you not being able to Arctic Assault out of the fight, this is a valid option.
- Thornmail: A very modern and often picked item these days. You'll often combine this one with a Randuin's Omen, so you have both attack speed reduction on the enemy and anti healing. A very strong item against pure auto attack champions like Caitlyn, Ashe and Master Yi.
- Zeke's Convergence: An item you won't find much on your standard soloq Sejuani, but which is seen a lot in pro play. This item allows your adcarry to get extra protection early on in the game. This might benefit your marksman in early skirmishes, but if you don't know who you're playing with, I'd suggest skipping this item. Unless you have a trust worthy adcarry, this might not be the best option. The exact same strategy counts for Knight's Vow.
Gargoyle Stoneplate: To wrap up your build, I suggest going for the Gargoyle Stoneplate. If you attain 40min+, it's means you'll have some big dirty teamfighting work ahead, and for tanks, there's no better item than a Gargoyle Stoneplate when it comes to pure tanking. This item will give you around 9k hp for 4 seconds, which is a huge buff to Sejuani's natural tankiness.
* Update in itemisation for Patch [9.13]!
Since the Sejuani max hp nerf from patch 9.13, I wouldn't longer recommend rushing Warmog's Armor as a second item, because you'll miss out on around 300hp when level 11 for the passive. Since you'll go for Mercury's Treads in most of your games, I'd recommend rushing some armor + health item such as Dead Man's Plate or Randuin's Omen, followed up by Warmog's Armor. This is very important, because the main reason to build Warmogs second item is for its passive, which you won't get when you rush it now. So as long as the passive remains at 3000 max hp, you shouldn't rush it (Given the fact Riot probably won't buff Sejuani's hp growth any time soon).
- Fury of the North: Sejuani's passive gives you passivly adaptive armor and magic resistance, as well as slow immunity, which comes in quite handy in skirmishes and ganks against cc heavy laners such as Lux, or Nasus.
- Arctic Assault: Sejuani's Q has 2 big purposes, knocking up enemies and escaping over walls. So the big first question you have to make yourself when attempting a gank is, am I going to Arctic Assault onto the enemy to knock him up, or am I going to try and save it for an eventual countergank/counterplay? I suggest you judge this based on the situation. If your ally has cc of his own, I suggest you try and combine these to unlock Winter's Wrath, so you have escape tools up if needed.
- Winter's Wrath is probably the most important ability to focus on. It might seem easy to land to first time Sejuani players, but as you climb the tiers, and if the matchups are getting more difficult, it can get a bit tricky to land the 2 stacks and the slow. As you start learning Sejuani, I highly reccomend you focus on using this ability alot, both because it gives a strong slow, and 2 stacks on your Permafrost.
- Permafrost is a very handy tool for 2 purposes: fast clearing jungle camps, and killing enemies. Permafrost needs 4 stacks to get activated, once activated, you'll need to auto attack the target quickly, otherwise it will just disappear again. Stacks are granted by Sejuani's basic attacks, and all other allied melee attackers. When you destroy the frozen target, you'll deal a percentage of the target's max health as bonus damage, which leads me to the second purpose, fighting! Because of the percentage of max health damage, this ability is incredibly strong in early game fighting. Try to bait the enemy jungler when he's low, so you can Arctic Assault on him, Winter's Wrath him for slow and stacks on your Fury of the North, to finish him of with your Permafrost.
- Glacial Prison: Sejuani's ultimate is her best known ability throughout the game. Back in the day you could stun up the entire enemy team with her R, in combination with an Orianna Command: Shockwave and a Jarvan Cataclysm, the key to success. But today her ult has been changed a bit, you have to target it onto one champion only. Eventhough the ulti has changed, it's still Sejuani's most know ability for creating picks and changing teamfights! When you ult someone, they'll become stunned for 1 second, up to max 1.5 seconds, depending on the travell time. Furthermore, Glacial Prison will create a surrounding ice cirkle, slowing all targets and dealing around 100 magic damage. It's very important to have a good basic idea of how to use this ability, it's the same as Rumble and his The Equalizer.
Early skirmishes: Easy, just target the laner you'd like to gank, if possible try to get your Winter's Wrath - Permafrost combo of first, before ulting, this will guarantee more crowd control.
Late game: You should play striker. What do I mean by saying this , you should look for a good flanking opportunity, to throw your Glacial Prison onto one of your opponents hardcarries. If you manage to hit the enemy adcarry or midlaner, you'll be guaranteed to get alteast a flash, or if he doesn't have flash, you'll get the kill, only a Tahm Kench might safe them.
As I said multiple times, Sejuani doesn't have a very strong first rotation clear, so you'll always want to start botside, so you have a strong leash to start your first rotation of jungling. What you could do for example, is Red -> birds -> wolves -> blue -> countergank. Most often, you'll find the enemy jungler topside for a gank just after you finished your blue, turning this via the river, could lead to a big advantage for both you and your toplaner, focus on this! As I said earlier, tracking the movement from the enemy jungler is a key factor in counterplaying him. Try get your first back at around 1000 gold, so you can buy Stalker's Blade with Boots of Speed or a Ruby Crystal. When you finish your Stalker's Blade - Cinderhulk, you'll be able to clear a lot faster, and you'll be tanky enough not to need smite all the time to clear.
The moment Sejuani hits level 3, she has everything to go for early trades, especially against tanky opponent junglers. As you can see in my video below, you should focus on baiting the enemy towards you (he won't expect you to deal much damage given you are a Sejuani), you can then enter with your full combo and get some hard burst damage, which will either lead to a kill or a Flash blown by the opponent.
Sejuani has tremendous amounts of ganking power. When she enters a lane which is hard pushed by the enemy, no escape may be possible for this enemy. Chain your cc trough Winter's Wrath and Permafrost to secure the kill. You'll want to safe your Arctic Assault for the possibilty of a countergang. If needed you can still use this to gap-close after a Flash by the enemy. Once Sejuani has her Glacial Prison, you can start focussing on picking people up everywhere in the jungle and on lanes.
This work is protected by copyright©