Blitzcrank Build Guide by epic blitz top
An Actual Viable Blitzcrank Top Guide **BALL FART TECH**By epic blitz top | Updated on October 20, 2020
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Runes: USUAL SETUP
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Ability Order Start E, Max Q
Threats & Synergies
VERY HARD MATCHUP. HOOKING HIM UNDER TOWER AFTER LEVEL 6 IS A DEATH WISH. HE ALSO HAS A DASH WHICH SUCKS BECAUSE HE DODGES Q WITH EASE. HIM UNDERESTIMATING YOUR DAMAGE AND KILLING HIM EARLY IS YOUR BEST OPTION.
I PERM BAN JAX. ANY CHAMP THAT BLOCKS YOUR E IS REALLY ANNOYING TO DEAL WITH. IF HE WASTES HIS HELICOPTER, GO FOR AN ALL IN. ALSO, IF YOU'RE AGAINST A JAX WITH CONQUEROR OR A HEALING ITEM, BUILD BRAMBLE VEST OR EXECUTIONERS.
RANGED MATCHUPS ARE ALWAYS HARD. TEEMO IS WORSE THOUGH, BECAUSE HE CAN BLIND YOUR E. HOWEVER, IF HE WASTES HIS Q YOU CAN GO FOR AN ALL IN AND PRETTY MUCH ONE SHOT HIM.
RANGED... AND SUPER FAST SO YOU CAN'T HIT HOOKS UNLESS YOU'RE A TRUE GODCRANK.
RANGED AND FAST. 2 THINGS BLITZ TOP HATES.
100% A SKILL MATCHUP- YOU LOSE EARLY TRADES HARD, HOWEVER BLITZCRANK DESTROYS SETT LATEGAME IN 1V1 IF THEY GO EVEN. BLITZCRANK R DELETES HIS BROKEN 10000 HP SHIELD. IF YOU GET A KILL BECAUSE YOU ULT HIS SHIELD AWAY, HE WILL PROBABLY RAGE QUIT.
SKILL MATCHUP. YOU LOSE TRADES UNLESS HE GOES INTO YOUR MINION WAVE AND TAKES AGGRO. MOST GAREN PLAYERS WILL ALSO UNDERESTIMATE/NOT KNOW ABOUT YOUR PASSIVE SHIELD.
VERY OPPRESSIVE. YOU LOSE EARLY AND LATE. UNLESS THE DARIUS IS REALLY BAD OR YOU GET AN EARLY LEAD (JG ASSISTANCE OR UNDER TOWER HOOK) YOU'll PROBABLY LOSE.
ITS GOOD TO BUY MR EARLY AS WELL AS AN EXECUTIONERS. OR YOU CAN FARM UNDER TOWER WITH CULL :)
ABUSE HIM EARLY SO HE CAN'T SCALE MEGA HARD. YOU WIN LEVEL 1 ALL IN.
BUILD MR EARLY, OR BUILD CULL AND FARM UNDER YOUR TURRET ;)
REALLY ANNOYING AND CAN BLOCK YOUR HOOKS WITH TURRETS. BUILD MR EARLY AND LOOK FOR AN ALL IN OR FARM UNDER TURRET WITH CULL :)
ALL PLAYERS UNDERESTIMATE YOUR DAMAGE. BUT YASUO PLAYERS ARE A DIFFERENT STORY. THEY ALMOST NEVER BUILD DEFENSIVE ITEMS UNTIL VERY VERY LATE. THIS MEANS YOU CAN ONE SHOT THEM :) ALSO IF YOU WANT TO, GO FOR A CHEEKY HOOK WHEN THEY E THROUGH YOUR MINIONS BACKLINE. THIS MIGHT BE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE BUT I'VE NEVER LOST LANE TO A YASUO AND IT'S ALWAYS AN EASY LANE. YOUR ULTIMATE ALSO DELETES HIS SHIELD.
DON'T GO FOR TRADES. BUILD CULL, AND SCALE. MUNDO IS SUPER EASY TO OUTSCALE AS LONG AS YOU BUILD ANTI-HEALING.
AMUMU JUNGLE IS THE BEST JUNGLE YOU CAN HAVE AS BLITZCRANK TOP. HE HAS 2 STUNS TO SET UP HOOKS ON GANKS.
SKARNER BLITZ WILL PISS OFF WHOEVER YOU'RE LANING AGAINST. SKARNER ULTS THE ENEMY TO YOU, YOU KNOCK THEM UP THEN HOOK THEM TO YOUR TOWER. THEN SKARNER CAN PERMA CC HIM. BASICALLY 6 STRAIGHT SECONDS OF CC.
YOU GET THE PICTURE. ANY JUNGLER WITH A STUN IS STRONG WITH BLITZCRANK TOP.
GRAGAS GANKING BLITZCRANK TOP IS VERY HARD TO PULL OFF. MOST OF THE TIME THE GRAGAS WILL JUST ULT THE ENEMY OUT OF THE PATH OF YOUR HOOK. NOT OPTIMAL.
WHENEVER I HAVE A LEONA SUPPORT ON MY TEAM, LATE GAME WE BECOME A POWER DUO. WE GOT THE PERMA CC AND I GOT THE DAMAGES. GREAT FOR PICK POTENTIAL LATEGAME.
I ENJOY PLAYING WITH KHA IN THE JUNGLE (AND OTHER ASSASSINS). BLITZCRANK CAN SET UP GANKS AND PEEL FOR ASSASSINS WHILE THEY DEAL BIG DAMAGE.
Champion Build Guide
Welcome to my Bruiser Toplane Blitzcrank Guide, also known as the "Ball Fart Build"!
I am making this guide to share an actual MASTER Blitzcrank Top build/playstyle with the world. I myself am not master, but I have watched the twitch streamer MyPrim0 for a large amount of time, who is a Blitzcrank Top main who has hit Master. This guide represents essentially everything I have learned from my own experience as well as watching Prim0's streams and replays. You can check out his channel HERE, however he is currently on break and the time of his return is unknown. If you would like me to ask him a question for you, leave a comment on this guide!
Why in the WORLD is this Viable at all?
Although playing Blitzcrank in a solo lane sounds like an absolute int, it definitely is not (as long as you know what you're doing...). The reason AD Blitzcrank is so strong comes from his core items, Iceborn Gauntlet or Trinity Force and Manamune or Muramana. These will be explained later, as well as why Press the Attack makes Blitzcrank so strong.
Press the Attack is one of the most vital parts to having success as Blitzcrank in a solo lane. Press the attack allows you to win trades at early levels, which Blitzcrank otherwise fails MISERABLY at. The reason press the attack is so strong on Blitzcrank is because of how easy it is to proc with your Power Fist, which should ALWAYS be used as an auto reset.
Presence of Mind Presence of Mind is powerful because of the Muramana / Manamune passive that gives you bonus damage from your mana. This allows Blitzcrank to have over 200 attack damage while only building Muramana and a few other mana items like Iceborn Gauntlet and Abyssal Mask. This is a crazy amount of AD for building almost full tank! Blitzcrank's passive also scales off of mana, so your shield will be ~170 health bigger when you take Presence of Mind.
Legend: Tenacity is the best option for AD Blitzcrank. Blitzcrank has a self slow (COOL!) on Overdrive so Legend: Tenacity helps him get away when he would otherwise die from his self cc. It also overall helps Blitzcrank stay active in fights because of the shortened root/stun/other cc.
Last Stand is without a doubt the ONLY rune you should be taking on the 3rd row of the Precision tree. Blitzcrank's Passive Mana Barrier activates when you get to low HP, which is also when Last Stand's damage kicks in. This means that you will be getting Last Stand damage for the entire time that your shield is activated.
Conditioning Gives you a strong defensive powerspike in the early-mid game. Conditioning is just better to scale than all of the other options, if you are not going to be poked out of lane.
Revitalize helps AD Blitzcrank survive in close fights, which happens often. Revitalize increases Blitzcrank's healing and shielding from items like Wit's End, Hextech Gunblade, Abyssal Mask, Sterak's Gage, and Sanguine Blade. Revitalize will also always increase Blitzcrank's Mana Barrier, because it only procs at low HP. Prim0 finds this more useful and safe than any other options.
(ONLY GO SECOND WIND INSTEAD OF CONDITIONING AGAINST POKE/RANGE)
Second Wind is important against poke, because it provides you with enough sustain to stay in lane for more than 45 seconds... But for real, do not take conditioning into Teemo, Vladimir, Quinn, Vayne, or Kennen or you will not have a fun time. Second wind also gives you nice sustain in teamfights if you have built a decent amount of health items. It also has synergy with Revitalize.
Early Laning Phase
Early laning phase for Blitzcrank Top sucks versus Ranged matchups, but isn't half bad against Bruisers or Tanks. Ranged matchups will easily kite you at levels 1 and 2, but Blitzcrank is able to make decent trades with most melee matchups early on. Here is a list of everything you need to know to survive early laning phase:
- YOU MUST GET USED TO LAST-HITTING EARLY GAME- in order to scale, you have to farm!
- Buy Cull vs tank matchups- it's really unlikely to get a kill on a tank, so just farm and outscale them with the extra gold from Cull.
- Press the Attack is what allows Blitzcrank to win/take early trades
- Because of Power Fist's auto reset, start it first to easily proc Press the Attack.
- Cheap Shot gives you some extra damage that helps you win early trades.
- If you have a larger minion wave than the opponent and can Rocket Grab them into it and knock them up, the minions will deal a suprising amount of damage to them in early laning phase.
- IMPORTANT: You lose early trades against Darius, Jax, Garen, Teemo, and most champions with Grasp of the Undying unless you can hook them into your minion wave or bait out Counter Strike vs Jax or Blinding Dart vs Teemo.
- Against ranged matchups, ignore all of this and try to farm as best you can.
- VS ranged you will not have any kill pressure until your power spikes, and you will usually have to land a Rocket Grab or use Overdrive as a gap closer.
- Getting an early jungle gank against a ranged matchup will help you win lane.
- The best position for the wave is either a Freeze or somewhere in the middle of the lane- you don't want to be pushed up because Blitzcrank is susceptible to jungle ganks.
- Farming Under Tower: You'll find that you will be doing this ALL THE TIME as Blitzcrank. You can kill tank minions after they take 2 tower shots, you can kill casters after 1 tower shot IF: You have Pickaxe, you have Static Field up and you can proc the On-Hit lightning before a second tower shot, you set up the caster with another auto, or you use your Power Fist. Also get used to using your Rocket Grab and Power Fist to secure the cannon.
Power Spikes in Laning Phase
- Blitzcrank Top's most significant power spikes are level 2, level 6, Manamune, Sheen, Muramana and Trinity Force.
- Getting your Rocket Grab at level 2 allows you to hook the enemy behind your minions which can help you win trades harder (IF THEY AUTO YOU AND TAKE MINION AGGRO).
- The level 6 powerspike is obviously strong, as you unlock your Ultimate Static Field.
- Unlike most other champions, your level 6 powerspike makes you stronger without actually using your Ultimate.
- Blitzcrank's Ultimate has an on-hit passive which deals extra magic damage to anything you auto. This helps you win trades even harder!
- The Manamune powerspike is strong because it will consistently be stacking mana as you use abilities and use auto attacks. The mana provided will give you extra damage as well as a larger Mana Barrier.
- Sheen is a large powerspike because it gives you mana, cooldown reduction, and a nice damage boost to your Power Fist. It is a strong synergy with your E because both items make your next auto deal 2x damage, resulting in a huge damage auto attack.
- Trinity Force boosts the power of Sheen and gives several important stats like cooldown reduction and attack speed. The Trinity Force + Manamune item set is when you start one shotting squishies!
- Muramana is a big powerspike because it deals bonus damage based on your current mana. The more mana you build, the more powerful it will become.
For the first 2 items, itemization is straight forward. Complete Manamune first, so it can begin charging into Muramana. You will be building some mana items which will increase the power of Manamune and Muramana. Next build Trinity Force, unless the enemy team is a majority AD, which you would then build Iceborn Gauntlet instead. Sheen should be the first component bought for each of these, because it makes your E do huge damage, provides mana, and gives you some cooldown reduction. These two items are very useful because of your Power Fist, which doubles the damage of an auto attack. The sheen has the same doubling effect, which causes an E-Empowered auto to do unprecedented amounts of damage.
After your first two items, however, you have several decisions to make, depending on how you read the situation.
Your third item should always be a tank+mana item. Blitzcrank does not have much of an escape tool, so you want to have at least some survivability while in the frontline of a team fight. The mana also provides a boost to your passive Mana Barrier. Not only will these items give you extra resistances, the mana from them will increase your damage, thanks to Manamune.
- Abyssal Mask should be built when the enemy has 2+ AP champions that are more fed than the AD opponents. If their team is about 50% AD/50% AP build Abyssal Mask. Its passive is insanely strong and provides a ton of healing when Muramana is completed.
- Frozen Heart should be built when the enemy team is majority AD, or they have a lot of champions reliant on attack speed ( Master Yi, Jinx, Twitch, Kog'Maw, Warwick, etc.) The 20% cooldown reduction will get you to 40% (max CDR) and also gives you a lot of mana to boost your damage+shield and a lot of armor.
- Wit's End is a good option if you are against champions with more spread out damage (not burst). It gives you healing at low health and more constant damage from the attack speed. The movement speed is nice to help you gap close. It also provides Magic Resistance. The on-hit passive makes your auto attacks do bonus magic damage, so combined with your Static Field on-hit passive your autos will be doing massive AD and AP damage.
- Righteous Glory should only be built under one condition- your team has no good engage. If you don't have a frontliner with a strong engage ability, build Righteous Glory, but if you do, Frozen Heart is the way to go.
Build these items after your tank+mana item(s). These either provide more damage, or make you more tanky. Only build more tank items if there is only 1 tank on your team (besides you).
- Death's Dance is always a strong option, I build this 4th or 5th item every game. It gives you great sustain in extended fights, and gives you healing from your abilites and autos. It also prevents you from getting bursted pretty well, and gives you some nice AD. Using Static Field in the middle of a wave or team gives you a big burst of healing as well.
- Sterak's Gage is a good option if you are against burst champions. Even though you already have a massive Mana Barrier to prevent being bursted, Sterak's Gage will usually proc first, conserving your passive which has a 90 second cooldown. Sterak's also gives you 50% of your base AD as bonus AD, which is great because Blitzcrank has one of the highest base AD stats in the game. The tenacity is also a vital stat if you do not buy Mercury Treads.
- Hextech Gunblade is a good option if your team is lacking AP. It also gives you lifesteal for drawn-out fights, and the active ability is good to be used as a gap closer. It also makes your abilities heal you- although the healing Gunblade gives you from Static Field is reduced to 5% since it is AoE, if you hit multiple targets you will get quite a decent heal. The best part of Gunblade is the large amount of burst damage it provides.
- Liandry's Torment is a good option if your team has a lack of AP and the enemy team has 2+ tanks. Fighting tanks will usually be a drawn out fight, so you can make use of the "Madness" passive of Liandry's. The "Torment" passive is useful for fighting tanks as well, because it deals percent health damage. It also procs Ravenous Hunter with its passive abilites, which gives you extra healing.
- Thornmail is a good option against healing champions. I usually just hold on to Bramble Vest until the lategame, and Thornmail is the last item I complete. I don't like to build this early because it only gives you armor and health- no mana or damage.
- Sanguine Blade is a good buy if you are going to be split-pushing most of the game. This means that your team will have to be fed enough to win a 4v5, or your team can create map pressure while you force 1-2 people to defend your push. Blitzcrank's tower destroying power is already very strong because of Trinity Force and his Power Fist.
- Randuin's Omen is a good buy when you are against 2+ champions with critical strikes, or a very fed Jhin or Caitlyn. Build Randuin's if the enemy ADC is building crit and they have a Graves, Yasuo, Garen or any other champ who is building crit. Most of the time it is not worth it if one of their "crit" champs has 25% or less critical chance.
- Quicksilver Sash / Mercurial Scimitar are good buys if you are against a long stuns or cc chains, like Cocoon, Dark Binding, Nautilus, Leona, Ornn, Skarner, etc. It's also what you should rush against Urgot at level 6. It allows you to get out of his Fear Beyond Death, and then win the 1v1.
If you go even in lane(or you were a little behind), you will be able to 1v1 the enemy ADC with ease, as long as you can land hook and they do not have strong CC like Ashe R to kite you. Even if they are super fed, your damage from Press the Attack and first 2 items will kill them very quickly, and they won't be able to output enough damage to beat you unless they kite you perfectly.
If you are losing lane, and the opponent freezes, look to get picks to put your team ahead, or even catch up yourself. Try to help your jungler as much as possible, especially during scuttle/objective fights. Your cc helps junglers with high damage output a ton.