Jayce General Guide by Xilver15
Not Updated For Current Season
AD Solo Top
Not Updated For Current Season
Hello everyone! My name is Xilver15, and welcome to my first ever guide on Mobafire. The champion I've chosen to make a guide to is Jayce, the Defender of Tomorrow.
Jayce is a Melee and ranged fighter. He specializes in highly mobile and sustained damage.
Jayce synergizes very well in ganks and initiations. Jayce excels in long-range pokes, isolating an enemy from the team, and high burst damage.
This awesome Shapeshifter champion has great poke, damage, CC, mobility, and kiting skills. He is played mostly at the Top lane, so this is where I'm going to focus on. You're going to learn how Jayce works, how to chain up his abilities together, how to initiate in teamfights, and the most important, how to have the most fun with him!
Pros / Cons
- Great poke and harass with To The Skies! / Shock Blast
- Amazing mobility with Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate and Mercury Cannon / Mercury Hammer
- Great Initiation and CC
- Amazing steroid with Lightning Field / Hyper Charge
- Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate Can be used as an execution ability against many tanks
- Strong starting combo at level 1
- Very item-dependant.
- A bit squishy for a Solo Top fighter.
- Falls down a little Late game.
- No built-in sustain.
- Not so amazing in duels.
- Hard to master, but practice makes perfect!
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Seals: I take Armor seals because Jayce is considered kinda low on defenses (Well, other than the defenses he gets from Mercury Cannon / Mercury Hammer also, Armor seals are an ideal choice for every AD Solo Top, and especially for Jayce.
Glyphs: I take flat MR glyphs on Jayce because in late game teamfights, their AP carry (Well, if fed) with proper positioning, can land havoc on your whole team, and trust me, there is nothing worse than having an Orianna landing that perfect Command: Shockwave on your team or that Ziggs throwing down his giant Mega Inferno Bomb on your team. which is why, for these reasons, I take flat MR runes. You can change it to scaling
Quintessences: Once again, more AD Quints. Jayce is also sort of a caster, so more AD at the start will really help his mid and early game quite a lot. Also, it's another typical choice for AD Solo Tops.
Offense: Take 1 point in Summoner's Wrath for that nice AP and AD boost. Fury , Deadliness , Weapon Expertise and Brute Force for good AD and AS. Havoc , Sunder and Executioner will help you deal as much damage as possible. Also, Lethality will have double damage on you since you are also melee.
Defense: Most of this tree is for jungling, which is why you should focus on the points which give you defenses. Put 1 point in Perseverance, 4 in Durability , 2 in Hardiness and 2 in Resistance for nice, equal defenses, both Armor and Magic Resist.
The one, most unique thing that features Jayce is that he has 8 abilities, ex-cluding his passive. We're gonna cover both of his ranged and melee abilities, as well as his ultimate and his passive, so sit back and enjoy :)
Passive, Hextech Capacitor: Jayce gains 40 movement speed for 1.25 seconds and ignores unit collision each time Transform is cast.
* A lot of people underestimate this passive. This ability can help you pull off some crazy combos, and help out your team at catching up to a careless enemy. Also, the bonus movement speed can help you get back to lane faster, escape from a chasing enemy, or catch up to a fleeing enemy.
Hammer form abilities:
To the Skies: Jayce leaps to an enemy dealing 20 / 65 / 110 / 155 / 200 (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) physical damage and slowing enemies by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% for 2 seconds.
* An amazing gap closer that does nice damage and a great slow to multiple enemies. Combined with your Thundering Blow, this ability will help you set up ganks, isolate a nearby opponent, and escape from enemies(since the range is really good, you can jump to an enemy minion to escape from a running enemy, just like Akali does with her Shadow Dance).
Lightning Field: Jayce restores 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 / 14 mana per strike while in Hammer form. Active: Jayce creates a field of lightning that damages nearby enemies for 25 / 42.5 / 60 / 77.5 / 95 (+25% of ability power) magic damage per second for 4 seconds.
* This skill is really good because of the mana sustain you get from it. Seriously, it's SO GOOD, especially since you'll be poking with your Shock Blast/Acceleration Gate combo quite a lot at your lane opponent. The damage on it is also really neat, with the only con of it being its scale with Ability Power. The total damage of 380 gives you a nice burst in your full combo, making you really scary once you get into melee range.
Thundering Blow: Thundering Blow: Jayce deals 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20 % of targets maximum health (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) as magic damage and knocks them back a short distance. Damage to monsters is capped at 200 / 300 / 400 / 500 / 600 magic damage.
* This is your off-tank skill. It deals a high precentage of the enemies's MAX health (Damage almost similar to Evelynn's Agony's Embrace) plus an additional 1.0 of your bonus AD as bonus damage to a single target. This can either be used as a nuke agaist high health champions, or you can use it as an escape tool if you're trying to get away. Another nice thing with this ablility is that it deals MAGIC damage, and since your enemies will counter you with armor, this ability will almost always not fall off late game.
Cannon form abilities:
Shock Blast: Jayce fires an orb of electricity that detonates upon hitting an enemy (or reaching the end of its path) dealing 60 / 115 / 170 / 225 / 280 (+1.2 per bonus attack damage) physical damage to all enemies in the area of the explosion. If fired through an Acceleration Gate, Shock Blast's damage, range, speed, and explosion radius are increased by 40%.
* Your main poking skill. It deals really nice damage with a good AD scaling. You'll be using this skill to harass, farm, and snipe. Deals a nice ammount of 280 base damage with a good AD ratio, but if you combine it with your Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate, it will deal a whopping 392 base damage on a 10 second cooldown. Sounds neat, huh? Combined with The Black Cleaver, you will tear up any opponent who will try to face you. Feels amazing to get that perfect snipe on the right time, trust me :D
Jayce gains a burst of energy, increasing his attack speed to the maximum amount for 3 attacks. These attacks do 70 / 85 / 100 / 115 / 130% of his attack damage.
* This is more of a late game ability. It maxes your AS to 2.5, but you will deal reduced damage at lower ranks. This is better used on carries in late game teamfights, where you can take down a good portion of their health with this before you jump on them and land your hammer burst. Don't spam this a lot in the eatly game, as it does have a long cooldown and will drain you mana since you work on combos. Late game it will tear their AD Carry apart if you build a little bit of critical strike chance, perhaps from Trinity Force.
Acceleration Gate: Jayce deploys an Acceleration Gate for 4 seconds, which increases the movement speed of allied champions who pass through it by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% for 3 seconds. This movement speed bonus rapidly decreases over its duration. If Shock Blast is fired through the gate, its speed, range, damage, and explosion radius are increased by 40%.
* This is an amazing utility skill. Gives you an amazing movement speed buff at higher ranks. It can give you options to chase, escape, and most important, fire your Shock Blast through it. The damage, range and speed of your Shock Blast will be greatly increased, and that's what makes your poke amazing. Think of it as a placeable Shurelya with a lower cooldown and a higher MS buff. Great utility and an initiation ability.
Jayce amplifies high mobile and long ranged fighting. For good lane control, farming and harrasment, you'll want to max your Shock Blast first. To The Skies! does good damage early game and an amazing slow, so you can Thundering Blow them away to your tower. Acceleration Gate is up second. It will be a good initiator in Mid-game teamfights. Additionally your Thundering Blow will help you deal with these tops who build extremely high HP, such as Garen or Olaf. Last is Hyper Charge, as it's better late game when you build Attack Damage, Crit chance, and have the bonus damage from Trinity Force. Of course, get points in your ultimate whenever you can, at levels 6,11 and 16.
Jayce's Ultimate: Transform
I've decided to make a special chapter for his ultimate, as it is his most important and intricate skill. Good Jayce players will know how to utilize your ultimate's effects at any given situation. This ultimate will allow to to change stances, from Melee to ranged. Each time you transform, your next basic attack will have a special effect which will help you out in the long way from early to mid game.
Transform, Mercury Cannon: Mercury Cannon: Transforms the Mercury Hammer into the Mercury Cannon gaining new abilities and increased range. The first attack in this form reduces the target's Armor and Magic Resist by 10/15/20/25% for 5 seconds.
* Your first transformation. It changes your weapon from the Mercury Hammer to the Mercury Cannon. You gain ranged basic attacks and your next basic attack will lower the target's Armor and Magic Resist. This will help you so much in Late game teamfights, as it can either soften up tanks or help engage on AD and AP carries to ruin their Guardian Angel or Banshee's Veil. Use this effect in early game tradeoffs against your fellow Top laner, and you will win most of them. Overall this is a great ultimate, and a great bonus effect.
Transform, Mercury Hammer: Transforms the Mercury Cannon into the Mercury Hammer gaining new abilities and increases Jayce's Armor and Magic Resist by 5/15/25/35. The first attack in this form deals 20/60/100/140 additional magic damage.
* Your second transformation. It changes stances from the Mercury Cannon to the Mercury Hammer, giving you bonus Armor and Magic Resist, and causing your next basic attack to deal bonus Magic damage. The bonus damage scales off very well with Sheen and eventually Trinity Force. The bonus Armor and MR will help you out in the long way, and is pretty much like a free GA. Use this in early game tradoffs. It combos very well with your To The Skies!, as you will try to auto attack after jumping to them. Late game you will deal a lot of single target damage with Trinity Force, especially if get the opportunity to jump on their AD Carry. Overall a great ultimate early game and late game, and will help you come out on top in most trades and teamfights.
|Flash: [*] I cannot stress enough how much this spell helps you out. It can either save your life or help you catch up to an opponent by using it agressively. A common choice for almost every champion in the game and an amazing summoner spell.||Ignite: [*] Another common summoner spell to use, to put that last ticks of damage onto them if they're running away with low HP. The healing reduction can help you out against champions who can duel you and sustain at the same time, such as Yorick or Tryndamere.|
Teleport: A good and viable spell on Jayce, I sometimes use it against champions who counter him, so I can get back to lane faster. It's also great for ganking by teleporting to a ward, and defending a lane by teleporting to a minion or a turret.
Smite: You're not the jungler, you're the Top laner. Don't take it.
Clarity: I find this spell to be helpful to people who can't manage their mana on a champion. And since Jayce has great mana sustain with his Lightning Field passive effect, you don't need this spell.
Exhaust: You're not a support, although you can still take it if they have a team of initiators.
Ghost: A nice spell that can really work on some champions, such as Singed. It's not the best option for Jayce, however there's nothing wrong if you take it.
Garrison: Yeah...next spell.
Barrier: Barrier is a really nice spell with its addition to Summoner's Rift, and works really well with AD Carries. Again, it's a good spell, but not the best, although there's nothing wrong with taking it.
Clairvoyance: You're not a support.
Cleanse: Jayce doesn't really benefit from this spell...AD Carries usually take this spell since they are getting focused rather often, and for Jayce it's just a waste of a spell slot.
Heal: I really don't like this spell...I guess it's good for baiting a duel and coming out on top, but spells like Ignite counter it. Not a spell for Jayce.
We're going to cover off Jayce's viable options to use in Summoner's Rift at the top lane. The build will cover off the stats you need to get the best out of Jayce.
Crystalline Flask+ Health Potion+ sight ward
This is, in my honest opinion, the best way to start now with the change to movement speed in Season 3. Spend a little to buy potions and you won't have to buy potions every time with this item. The bonus health potion is a nice addition to your already immense sustain from Flask. Wards are always efficent to carry with you. I never go past the first brush in lane if I haven't warded the area. Saves my life a lot because Jayce tends to overextend quite a lot in his lane due to his great pushing power.
2x Doran's Blade+ Ninja Tabi+ sight ward
Come back to base once you have about 2000 gold and have a good ammount of CS. Buy 2 Doran's Blades and build towards ninja tabi. Add another ward for safe laning. Luckily the passive on Doran's Blade is not UNIQUE, so you can get 10HP each time you last hit.
Phage+ The Brutalizer
Focus your attention on these items. It gives you AD, health ,CDR, and some Armor pen, which you will need mid game. You have two options: Either rush a Trinity Force, or get The Black Cleaver. I honestly think Trinity Force is the best way to go. Jayce benefits from EVERY stat this item brings, so I tend to get that first. If your enemies are stacking amor Mid-game, The Black Cleaver is the way to go.
The Bloodthirster+ Maw of Malmortius+ Frozen Mallet
The Bloodthirster: Aah, at last, the sustain you've been waiting for. Great Item on Jayce due to the buff they did in Season 3 for his stacks. Nice AD and Life Steal, scales EXTREMELY well with Hyper Charge, as it deals more damgage at higher ranks.
Maw of Malmortius: Great AD, MR, and shield and a GODLY passive that will turn champions like Olaf into complete monsters. Amazing item, both for Mid and Late game teamfights.
Frozen Mallet: Time to get health. Gives you AD, health and a passive that will slow enemies on basic attacks or ability use. Since you already have the passive from Trinity Force, you won't notice that much of a chance. However you get an IMMENSE ammount of health (700, to be exact) which will let you get tanky like you should go.
*NOTE: This chapter is LONG. It's for people who are entirely new to Jayce or League of Legends, or want to step up phases they are having trouble with. Also keep in mind that I am not the best LoL player, I'm just showing you an efficent way of the game, if you already know how it goes, you can skip this phase.
So you're going all the way to Top lane, getting ready to meet your enemy laner. The laning phase consists of one, important thing: FARM FARM FARM. It's better to focus your efforts on CSing in the lane, because Mid game you won't get a chance to farm as you'll be pushing Mid lane to their base, and Late Game is where you'll either Ace or get Ace'd. Jayce's early laning consists of being in Cannon form, mostly farming. When the enemy over-extends to get CS, perform this combo:
*Hit a basic attack to lower their defenses, combine Shock Blast with Acceleration Gate, Transform, hit To The Skies! and a basic attack for the bonus damage and activate Lightning Field. Knock your enemy with Thundering Blow to prevent any retaliation. Stay in Hammer stance to return your mana. Watch for enemy ganks, unless you're sure no one is waiting to gank you, perform this combo.
To escape from an enemy gank:
If you see that the jungler is exiting the brush to come and get you, immediately duck into the brush on the left. Cast To The Skies! on the initiating jungler and knock them away with Thundering Blow. Immediately Transform and cast Acceleration Gate on your escaping route to pass through it. And if you can, fire a Shock Blast through it to hope it'll stop the initiation.
To assist on a gank:
Cast Acceleration Gate in your jungler's path, as it's more important to get the MS to your initiating jungler. Pass through the gate, Transform, cast To The Skies! and land a basic attack. Pass through your opponent and cast Thundering Blow so it will knock them away from their turret. It will be pretty easy thanks to your passive, Hextech Capacitor, and since they are slowed from To The Skies!. Transform and fire Shock Blast to your enemy to get the final blow on him.
Go back to base once you have about 2k Gold. If you took Teleport and a lane is having some trouble with the enemy, teleport to a neraby ward, and gank the lane. The most ideal lane to perform this gank is Bot lane. The same combo from before works on this part, but try to aim your Acceleration Gate so it will also speed up your aliies, not just you.
By now, your team should've destroyed some towers, and are pushing Mid lane to enter the enemy's base. Mid game is probably the most important part of the game, as it determines what will happen Late game. In Mid game teamfights, your goal is keeping the AD Carry and the AP Carry off the team. For example, if you see that a Vayne just ulted and is jumping on your Lee Sin, immediately jump to her with To The Skies! and knock her away with Thundering Blow. Use Shock Blast and Acceleration Gate on as much people as you can, as it deals crazy damage Mid game. MAKE SURE TO WARD DRAGON AND BARON. I cannot stress enough how important this part is. as Dragon can help a falling team catch up or a winning team to get an even better advantage. While Baron can cost the other team a game if used correctly.
The most intense and nerve-wrecking part of the match. A small mistake can cost your team the game.
By now, your team's first priority is to either get Baron if you're on equal footing with the enemy team, and push their base for the win. MAKE SURE TO WARD THEM AT ANY GIVEN TIME. It will give your team an opportunity to steal the buff or prevent them from doing it.
Now that I've covered that part, let's talk teamfights. As soon as your initiator engages onto the enemy team (most preferably, your jungler), your job is to shut down any carries or initiators that try to jump on your carries. Your Thundering Blow will start doing some great damage now, and your Hyper Charge should be extremely effective now. The Black Cleaver and Trinity Force will definitely add a great boost to your damage. Frozen Mallet+ Hyper Charge should let you isolate any carries who overextend for a kill while chunking down half their HP thanks to the bonus effect from Mercury Cannon. If you and your team will fill their roles effectively, you will most likely end up with an Ace in your pocket and a victory for your team.
I'd like to thank EVERYONE for reading my first ever guide on Mobafire! I really hope this guide will help you get better with Jayce, and please leave your honest opinion by upvoting or downvoting my guide. However if you downvote, I'd like to know why in the comment section.
I'd like to give a BIG thanks to jhoijhoi for her AMAZING guide on how to make a guide on Mobafire, for how much it helped me while I was making it. Really saved me on BBcoding and everything.
So yeah, I'll see you next time, hopefully on my next guide!