Lucian Build Guide by Bixt
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Pros and Cons
-Great waveclear with Q and W.
-E is a high mobility dash skill.
-Ultimate deals massive single target damage.
-Incredibly fun to play.
-Has a reset on his E if his Ultimate kills a target.
-Strong early/late game.
-Falls off a little mid game until you build BRK.
-Q can miss despite being a target skill.
-W and Ult are skillshots, meaning you can miss.
-Cannot auto attack while casting his Ultimate.
- Flash is a must on lucian, as without any CC he has trouble getting out of sticky situations.
- Barrier helps tank any damage he takes while ulting, as he is not very mobile during this time.
- Take ignite instead of barrier if you are confident of you positioning skills.
- Blade of the Ruined King is a must on Lucian, as his ultimate scales off attack speed. This also gives him some form of single target CC to aid in chasing down champions.
- As Lucians's passive depends on him having mana, Manamune is a must have, as Lucian can't do very much without his abilities.
- Black Cleaver gives Lucian some much needed cooldown reduction which will help him proc his passive and continue chasing with his W
- This as well as BC may seem a little much, but it ensures that no matter who stands in the way of you ult, you will get the kill. Maybe two.
- The I-Edge is there to give him some much needed attack damage to keep him viable into late game. It also helps with his auto attacks.
- Beserkers Greaves are the best way to go on Lucian, as he scales off attack speed.
- Take this if you are having trouble surviving, or need to kite some more.
After using one of his abilities, Lucian's next auto attack within 6 seconds will strike twice. The second shot deals 50-75% of Lucian's AD based on level, but fully applies on-hit effects. Minions and monsters take full damage from the second shot. The second shot can critically strike.
This is a pretty nice passive to have on an AD carry, as this is your 'steroid' ability that lets you scale into late game. After you use a skill, your next basic attack will strike twice, with the second strike dealing reduced damage (which scales as you level). Ideally you will want to use spells between your auto attacks to maximize your DPS. Although Lucian does not have any steroids, this is a pretty cool passive that will significantly increase your damage output going into mid-late game.
Q: Piercing Light
Active: After a 0.4 second delay, Lucian fires a laser in the direction of the target enemy, dealing physical damage to all enemies in a 1100-unit line. Minions take 75% damage.
Cooldown: 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5
Cost: 60 / 65 / 70 / 75 / 80 mana
Physical Damage: 80 / 120 / 160 / 200 / 240 (+ 60 / 75 / 90 / 105 / 120% bonus AD)
After a short delay, you fire a laser in the direction of the target you click on. Remember that it will always deal damage to enemies within a 1100 range line, so no matter how close/far your targets are, the line of fire will be the same. However, you can only target enemies that are within a 550 radius of you. This makes this ability quite tricky to use, but once you master it you will be able to use this to secure long-range kills. This ability not only gets more base damage with more levels, but the AD ratio also scales – which means this ability really attractive to max first.
Note: Although Q is a target spell, it can be dodged because of the short 0.4 second delay by side stepping.
W: Ardent Blaze
Active: Lucian fires a shot that explodes upon hitting an enemy or reaching the end of its path, damaging enemies in a cross pattern and marking enemies hit for 6 seconds.
If Lucian damages a marked target with his basic attacks or abilities, he gains 40 movement speed for 2 seconds. This does not consume the mark.
Cooldown: 14 / 13 / 12 / 11 / 10
Cost: 60 mana
Magic Damage: 60 / 100 / 140 / 180 / 220 (+90% AP) (+ 60% bonus AD)
You throw out a shot that will explode on contact or at max range in a cross shape. Hit targets will be marked and if you hit marked targets (the mark is not consumed when you hit them) then you will gain 40 movespeed for a short time. This is not only a great AOE ability, but it also lets you kite much easier. Use this if you’re trying to kite backwards, or to chase aggressively with the bonus movespeed gained.
note: your ultimate also benefits from the movespeed, so throwing out your W before starting your ultimate might help you pull some extreme backwards kiting or chasing potential!
E: Relentless Pursuit
Active: Lucian dashes a short distance and removes all slowing effects. Relentless Pursuit's cooldown resets if Lucian scores a kill or assist during The Culling.
Cooldown: 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10
Cost: 60 / 45 / 30 / 15 / 0 mana
Your repositioning move. It’s very similar to Graves’s Quickdraw ability, without the attack speed steroid. Remember that this ability is on a ridiculously long cooldown, so THINK TWICE before you use it. You can jump over small cliffs and walls using this abilities, so know where you can jump over!
Note: It’s good to know that if you kill a target with your ultimate, then the cooldown on this ability refreshes - this can happen unlimited times!
R: The Culling
Active: Lucian starts firing shots in the target direction for 3 seconds, each shot damaging the first enemy it hits. Lucian is capable of moving while firing. Reactivating this skill will cancel it. The Culling deals quadruple damage to minions but not monsters.
Cooldown: 100 / 75 / 50
Cost: 100 mana
Physical damage per shot: 40 / 50 / 60 (+30% bonus AD) (+10% AP)
Shots Fired: 7.5 + (7.5 / 9 / 10.5 * attack speed at the time of cast)
Maximum Shots: 26 / 30 / 34
Maximum Total Damage: 1040 / 1500 / 2040 (+780 / 900 / 1020% bonus AD) (+260 / 300 / 340% AP)
This is Lucian’s trademark ability, you will be channeling a line of fire and you will continuously fire at the same direction for 3 seconds. You can move/flash/E during the channel, but you will not be able to auto attack. The funny thing about this ability is that on top of scaling with AD and AP, it also scales with your attack speed. You will be firing more shots with more attack speed, so you will definitely be buying some attack speed so that your ultimate will be firing more shots.
Note: Remember to watch your enemies carefully on how they try to avoid your ultimate. You might need to use your dash or your flash to continue to keep them in line with the firing line.
Let's talk a little bit about which supports Lucian synergizes well with, and which supports that Lucian might not synergize so well with.
/////– These supports have a great amount of CC. This means they will keep them in place for you to use your combo on them. Any type of supports that can keep the enemy locked down, you will have success with because at level 6, they will keep the enemies in place to get hit by your full channeled ultimate.
– Sona is one of those supports who can work with most AD carries. She will poke with you and sustain you throughout laning phase, and at level 6 you can just press R to win. :^)
– With lulu you will be instantly wave clearing using both your Q’s, so this is a strong lane because of how easy it is. Press Q, push lane forever, and poke under tower. Easy!
- Nami's E will proc twice with Lucian's passive - OP! not only that but she provides sustain in lane as well as really strong CC (if she can land her bubble!). That's not all, her ultimate not only knocks people up but also SLOWS them - can't ask for a better set up for the Culling!
Against other AD carries
How does Lucian do against other AD’s?
– Caitlyn might be a bit hard at first because she simply outranges you. The only way you can duel with her is if you use your dash aggressively, but that’s risky because she can just use her net to keep her distance.
– stay behind minions so you don’t take poke, and you should be able to play against an Ezreal easily. Use your auto+Q+auto whenever you can, and just try to keep him constantly shoved to tower.
//– these guys are all aggressive laners. You will have to trade against them equally otherwise they will take advantage of you. So try your best to trade against them when they trade with you. This is a toss-up lane between who the better player is.
– You can easily outtrade this guy, just make sure you auto+Q+auto and back out because if he gets more poison stacks on you then you will lose the trade. Watch out for invisible ambushes and youll be fine!
- vayne counters Lucian very very hard. Thsi is because her tumble can completely dodge your Q. Not only that she can tumble and go invisible at 6, which makes her an incredibly hard AD to lockdown with your ultimate.
Use your Autoattack + Q + autoattack to trade against the opponent bot lane. Try not to just waste all your mana from the start because remember your Q scales incredibly well with levels, hence if you don't have the mana to use it later in the laning phase then you're in trouble. Try your best to do short trades using your passive. If you get ganked, throw out a W, and try to kite using the additional movespeed - and if things look impossible then just use your dash to get out.
at level 6, you should be able to find yourself an easy kill if your support provides some form of CC, so try to coordinate a duel right as your hit 6.
the good thing about lucian is if you feel like you're in a losing lane, you can always just use your abilities to farm under tower, or just push endlessly if you ask your support to help you clear the wave instantly (most supports have some form of aoe ability that will help clear the wave, such as Lulu's Q or Zyra's E).
Mid game/ Late game + Teamfights
Lucian's midgame and lategame relies on how farmed you are. Your ultimate hyper-scales with AD and attack speed, meaning depending on if you finished that bloodthirster or not it will drastically change the DPs output of your ultimate. With some items its very easy for you to clear the wave and group up with your team. Remember that although Q is a very good poking spell, it still has a relatively short range (550) so try not to get caught just trying to poke with Q's.
try not to resort to split pushing rather than grouping up with your team (Lucian is a much stronger teamfight champion than a split pushing champion because he does not have any attack speed steroid).
When you hit late game, remember that you are the carry of the team and you should NOT get caught by any means. look at what the enemy team has, and respect the catch abilities and catch potential that the enemy team brings to the game. Don't stand bluntly in front, it's okay to stay back.
In teamfights, you want to open up with the Culling. If you bought your last whisper it should deal massive damage to whoever it's hitting, regardless of tank or not. The tricky part comes after you're done shooting your ultimate. Try to continue using your passive correctly using Autoattacks between spells. Remember to treat your dash very very carefully because of its long cooldown.