Build Guide by mobrebel
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
NOTE: My jungling build/guide part of this is not done yet. I am taking a note from Sorakabot and tubeficator from Youtube. AP Jungle will be the first of the 2 ways of jungling to come out. You can use, but at your own risk. I still have to take some more things into account... ALL CREDIT FOR THE AP JUNGLE GOES TO TUBEFICATOR! His guide was so good I had to give it some more views.
NOTE: The AP build is a beginner outlook on how to build her. When you get more experienced, you may use the AP Jungle build without all of the health potions for laning.
You might search for an Evelynn guide and find a good AP guide, go into a game wanting to play Evelynn, and when you get in your teammates go AP making Banshee's Veil ruin your guy's chances at a win. Then, getting mad because of that, never touching Evelynn again even though she is a powerful champion.
Or, maybe, you might have found an AD guide and went into the game, but find out that AD isn't needed or that you don't have the right runes, ruining Evelynn for you.
Or, you might have played Evelynn and a player on the other team got an oracle or even got tons of vision wards countering you.
Well, that shall end NOW! I aim to, with this guide, help anyone and everyone who wants to play Evelynn and not run into these problems and/or confront these problems in the best way possible. I have seen too many Evelynns fail and too little of Evelynn played. There is a reason she is played so much in the EU server. Her ganking power combined with how powerful she can get late game makes her a great addition to the team.
In this guide, I will cover potential items you can get while also giving advice on how to get around an Oracle Elixir and even different ways to build her, AP and AD(EVEN a surprise Tank build(yes... a tank....)). Hopefully, this guide will be useful to those who need a guide for her or want to play her.
Just to clarify, I do not recommend AD or Tank builds, as AP is far more superior to those options. This is just my two cents, so play the way you feel like you do best.
Pros / Cons
- Great Ganker
- Powerful carry
- Stealth XD
- Good assassin for the team
- Early game squishy
- Oracle and Vision Ward can ruin her (CAN not WILL)
- Tough to play for beginners
- People don't like her
9 Greater Marks of Insight - The magic penetration given by these help increase you damage immensely as a game goes on.
9 Greater Seals of Replenishment - Flat Mana Regeneration is almost required for early game harassment and such. Late game, you have mana regeneration, so the mana regen per level seals are not required.
9 Greater Glyphs of Celerity - During early game, cooldown is not a big deal, so get cooldown per level runes for easier spamability of skills during late game.
9 Greater Quintessenses of Potency - The flat AP adds a ton of damage to your early game attacks to help with the early first blood. Late game, you have a ton of AP anyway so AP per level is not required.
You could replace the Glyphs and Seals with flat AP, but I like the cooldown reduction and the mana regeneration for easier spammability while still being able to stay in the lane longer.
9 Greater Marks of Desolation - Armor penetration is required for this build. No questions asked.
9 Greater Seals of Replenishment - I find the mana regeneration extremely important for Evelynn as, early game, you won't have the most mana regeneration in the world to work with as AD. So, get these.
9 Greater Glyphs of Celerity - Cooldown reduction is important on any champion. These just help the cause.
3 Greater Quintessenses of Desolation - See Marks...
9 Greater Marks of Shielding - Magic Resist is not a big ticket item for Tank Evelynn; she just gets more armor. This way, her Magic Resist is not as lacking.
9 Greater Seals of Defense - She doesn't have a ton of defense until you get her some. This way, her defense isn't too bad in the beginning if you don't have a ton.
9 Greater Glyphs of Shielding - See Marks...
3 Greater Quintessenses of Shielding - See Marks...
NOTE: I know that tank Evelynn isn't viable. I am just having fun. You could trade these runes up for what you personally need. These are just my suggestions.
She is going to VERY rune dependent for this build.
For AP, I go 9/0/21, getting the Magic Penetration and Cooldown Reduction. Also, I get Mana Regeneration. This adds to my early game sustainability so I do not have to go back as often. Greed is gotten for that extra 200 gold (it counts.) and 30% extra time for buffs is common sense. A fed Evelynn should get the buffs anyway. I also get extra experience as you should get this no matter how you build any character; it just helps win games if you level faster than others. These are classic AP masteries.
For AD, I go 21/0/9, getting Magic Penetration for her skills, Increased damage, and extra experience. These are classic AD masteries.
For Tank, I go 0/22/8, maxing almost all of the tank masteries while also getting the extra experience. Classic Tank masteries...
Very dependent here also. I will elaborate when I am done with the testing phase.
On AP and AD builds, I get Ghost and Exhaust. These are most likely the most powerful spells in the game. Ghost gives that extra oomph to catch up or run away from anyone. Exhaust just completely destroys a champion's chance at doing damage or escaping. Both are amazing on her. Other spells you could get are Flash, for positioning, Smite, for counter-jungling, and Cleanse, to get rid of pesky CC. You could also get Ignite as it helps a ton for early game ganks and to reduce healing during the late game. It kind of falls out in power later on, but it still is a good, viable choice. In my opinion, you should always get Flash or Ghost.
For funny troll Tank Evelynn, I go Ghost and Cleanse. You should either get Ghost and Flash as always. You could also get Fortify or Clairvoyance. Clairvoyance could be used for map control and Fortify to turn the tide against pushes.
For Jungle, It will be the Revive/Smite route. No exceptions.
- Hate Spike - Instantly damages the closest enemy unit with malevolent energy, dealing 25 / 40 / 55 / 70 / 85 (+28% of ability power) magic damage and 50% damage to a secondary nearby target.
Cooldown 0.8 seconds | Cost 12 / 15 / 18 / 21 / 24 mana | Range 20
- Her main DPS. Not very powerful until she gets a lot of AP. For AP and Tank Evelynn, I max it second as Ravage helps the whole team more. You really only need 1 point in it to be able to spam it and use a sheen to it's fullest potential. For AD, I max it first just because you do not use Ravage too often anyway.
- Shadow Walk - Evelynn fades away, becoming stealthed for 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 seconds. Evelynn's next attack or damage ability will stun her target for 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 seconds, ending her Shadow Walk. 1.5 sec delay for stealth to take effect (delayed further by damage). Evelynn can cast Shadow Walk while stealthed to destealth.
Cooldown 12 / 11 / 10 / 9 / 8 seconds | Cost 60 mana | Range 200
- This is what makes her so annoying; her stealth. The stun will help your team completely dominate whoever is hit. It makes for great initiation. Not as good as Singed or Blitzcrank but it still does its job. What more could you ask for?
- Ravage - Deals 80 / 135 / 190 / 255 / 320 (+100% of ability power) damage to target unit. If Ravage was used from behind, it reduces the target's armor and magic resistance by 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26 for 5 seconds.
Cooldown 9 seconds | Cost 90 / 105 / 120 / 135 / 150 mana | Range 325
- Great to start your combo with. It is your NUKE! The armor and magic resist reduction is amazing. You basically go stealth. If you still have your sheen/lich bane passive up, auto-attack. If not, Ravage. Then, Ultimate and whenever Ravage is up, use it. Other than that, you spam Hate Spike and auto-attack. This destroys and makes AP Evelynn, what I believe, to be the best way to build her.
ULTIMATE -- Malice and Spite - (Passive): Each time Evelynn scores a kill or assist she regains 350/500/650 health.
(Active): Evelynn gains 50/75/100% attack speed and 20/25/30% movement speed for 10 seconds (non-stacking, can cast while stealthed). The cooldown refreshes every time an enemy champion dies.
Cooldown 90 seconds | NO COST
- AMAZING. This gives her her ability to tower dive, to survive a team fight, etc. The Active is amazing. It makes her uncatchable and impossible to run away from. You cannot run away from Evelynn like you can't run away from Warwick. They are just too fast. Great ultimate for her.
PASSIVE -- Determined Killer - Attacks from minions deal 50% damage to Evelynn.
- Mind you, this is not for neutral minions. They still deal normal damage. Great for chasing and running at low health when there are a lot of enemy minions nearby. Helps to get away. Sadly, it is lackluster and almost worthless. There is rare occasions where this is needed, but rarely. Get the idea?
For AP and Tank, I would go:
R > W > E > Q
while still getting 1 point in each during the early levels.
For AD, I would go:
R > W > Q > E
while still getting 1 point in each during the early levels.
It really is your call. I personally like the AP/Tank way better than the AD way. Either way, Stealth is first, other than her Ultimate.
For Jungle, I would go:
1 - Hate Spike
2 - Ravage
3 - Hate Spike
4 - Shadow Walk
5 - Shadow Walk (or if you are more experienced and can work with 10 second stealth, use Ravage)
6 - Malice and Spite
7 - Shadow Walk
8+ - Whatever you feel like
11 - Malice and Spite
16 - Malice and Spite
NOTE: You can use the Jungling build but without all of the HP pots if you wanted to.
Start with a Mana Crystal and 2 Health Potions. This will allow you to stay in your lane for a long time. When you have enough, grab Boots of Speed and, if you can afford it, change your Mana Crystal into a Sheen. This will allow you to do a lot more damage. Next, try to change your boots into Boots of Mobility. This will allow you to traverse the map quickly and help with ganks. Go for a Mejai's next. This will give a base AP pool to work with and will build up quickly. If you know you will not be able to build up your Mejai's, grab a Hextech Revolver. Snowball items can be very unreliable. If you are hesitant about getting one, grab a Hextech Revolver and sell it off or upgrade it later. Or, you could get the Mejai's and sell it if it isn't working out for you, AKA not getting stacks. Next, make your Lich Bane. You will then be doing a TON of damage. From there, you should have this for your core:
After this, you really just get more AP or situational items. Here are some options:
- Morello's Evil Tome - Great item that works if you need cooldown reduction and mana regeneration. Good optional route instead of Deathfire Grasp.
- Archangel's Staff - This is a great starting item for players who are just playing her. It gives mana that helps to curb the mana drain from using her abilities. You should really try to conserve mana with her; learn to judge when it is appropriate to use her skills and when it isn't. This will help make it easier to figure out. Any mistakes in using her abilities will be absorbed by the sheer amount of mana and mana regeneration this gives. Once you get used to her, you can avoid this item and get different items.
- Rabadon's Deathcap - You should probably always get this. It just works way too good for her not to get it.
- If they somehow keep getting away, get this. Then they will never get away. It also gives decent survivability.
- Thornmail - If they have tons of AD/DPS only. You will get focused so why not make them kill themselves while you are at it.
- Void Staff - Only if they are getting magic resist to counter you. It really doesn't do any good until they get about 80 MR.
- Will of the Ancients - Only to laugh at them as they can't kill you because you heal too fast. Probably should get more AP before this item. A 5th or 6th slot choice. Great for your team if it has a ton of AP ratios.
- Zhonya's Hourglass - If you need some survivability, why not get this. You are getting focused so why not make yourself untargetable.
- Quicksilver Sash - A superpowerful Cleanse that just doesn't reduce the duration of CC for a bit. Why not?
- Nashor's Tooth - It gives her everything she needs anyway...
- Guardian Angel - Only if you keep dying...
- Deathfire Grasp - Good if they have a ton of health but no MR.
- Banshee's Veil - For obvious reasons...
Start with a Mana Crystal and 2 Health Potions. This will allow you to stay in your lane for a long time. When you have enough, grab Boots of Speed and, if you can afford it, change your Mana Crystal into a Sheen. This will allow you to do a lot more damage. Next, try to change your boots into Boots of Mobility. This will allow you to traverse the map quickly and help with ganks. Next, go instantly for the Trinity Force. Your damage output should skyrocket from this. After that, grab the Brutalizer and a Black Cleaver. Then, change your Brutalizer into a Youmuu's. You should end up with this:
After that, you could get some of the items up top,(not the AP ones) or some of these:
- Sword of the Occult - Only if you can keep stacks.
- Manamune - Since you won't be getting a ton of Mana Regeneration, you should probably grab this so you can spam more often and get a nice, big mana pool and some damage.
- Madred's Bloodrazor - Great synergy with her natural high attack speed from her Ultimate. A tank destroyer.
- Last Whisper - For High Armor Tanks. Take that Rammus!!!
- Hexdrinker - Good against Karthus Ult.
This build is really situational on the team you are facing. If they are AP-based, get Magic Resist. If they are AD-Based, get Armor. If they have a balanced team, get a good amount of both. Just watch how the other team is building and build accordingly. Any item above could work and other tank items work, too.
Look in Jungling Route just below!
Use the AP Section to give a good idea of good items afterwards.
Still have to test, but this is what it is looking like.
Grab a Mana Crystal and 2 HP pots. Go to Small Golems. Smite the first one, pop a hp pot, and Hate Spike until they die. You will level. Grab Ravage and go to Wraiths. You MUST click behind the Wraiths to get a good position. Ravage the blue one and hate spike/auto-attack until it dies. Pop a hp pot and continue to hate spike until ALL wraiths have died. Go to Wolves. Wait for Smite to come off CD and then Auto-attack, hate spike, and smite the first one. Kill the rest with hate spike as much as you can, even as you run out of mana. Get a point in Hate Spike then go to Golem. This is important.
Kill the first minion and, try as hard as you can to kill the second. DO NOT TARGET THE GOLEM YET. You will die. As you die, open your shop and buy 4 hp pots. Revive and RUSH to golem. Ravage Golem 2 times, hate spike and auto-attack as much as possible, and smite off CD. You will get the buff. DO NOT USE A HP POT YET. Kill wraiths then Small golems using 1 Ravage and hate spike until dead. You will level and your revive buff will wear off with you at almost full hp. Grab 1 point in Shadow Walk and go to Lizard. You must wait until you have 330 mana. Ravage 2 times, hate spike and auto-attack, and smite off CD to kill it. Also, use a HP pot here. Finish the minions with hate spike and auto-attacks. Go to wolves and kill them, while using another pot. You will level and put a point into Shadow Walk (or Ravage if you can deal with 10 second stealth timer...). Kill wraith camp then Small Golems, using HP pots at both camps. Recall to base and get Sheen and 3 HP pots. Go to wolves and kill them, using a HP pot. You just turned Level 6. Congrats! It is Ganking and getting buffs from here. Play it like any other jungler. Use revive if you ever die also to get right back into it.
It is a slow jungle, getting to level 6 at around 8 minutes, but the benefits are worth it. You are a grade A Ganker and you just gave your team 2 solo lanes. If no one else is jungling, then this is a good substitute. But, I would go to other junglers first.
How to get around Oracle Elixir and Vision Ward
When the enemy starts to get these, you may have some trouble. Luckily, there are some ways to get around them.
1. If they do not have a Vision Ward in a bush, or have an Oracle Elixir but are not in the bush, they cannot see stealth in the bush. Use this to your advantage.
- Let me clarify this. I do not mean that they can't see you if your stealthed in bush. They could if they have an Oracle Elixir nearby or a vision ward nearby and go into the bush. This point more directly correlates with my second point. If a ward or a person with Oracle Elixir is out of range, and another enters the bush, they will not see you. Please, if you want, ignore this point and listen to the next one. XD
2. Both have a range. Something that any aspiring Evelynn player should learn is the approximate range each has. This way, you can skirt the outsides of the range so they do not know you are there.
3. The jungle is your friend. They can't cover everything, so go around them using the jungle and gank from there.
4. If they are only getting Vision Wards, get an Oracle Elixir. It is always a good investment if you are getting rid of the thing that is killing you.
Hopefully, with practice, you can learn to get around these things. It is never fun to go against these things as an Evelynn.
- Stun whoever does the most damage or their squishiest. Without 1 person, they will lose a lot of damage output and it will start to snowball into your favor.
- As Evelynn, you will get focused. Use this. Let them focus you while your team kills off their damage dealers and squishiest people. By this, I mean that you cannot always get away. Learn to judge whether you will survive or not. If you will, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! If not, do as MUCH damage as possible to help your team as much as possible. Target the Squishies and the Most damaging champions on their team. If you find you won't reach them, go for whoever you can. If you can get a kill off, who knows, maybe you will survive XD
- During Early game, Evelynn's job is not to get kills. It is to feed your team by ganking. You will just get fed through this. If you can choose between yourself and your carry to get the kill, let the carry get it.
- Later on, you can get the kills.
Have fun with Evelynn and I hope you do well. Good luck on your following ventures with Evelynn and other champions in Summoner's Rift (and Twisted Treeline).
-mobrebel (IGN:RealistFreak) <-- Active one XD
3/7/11 - VERY Early Morning - Posted Guide
3/7/11 - Afternoon - Updated/clarified a couple of points. Added information about Mejai's.
3/9/11 - Added Jungle Section - not finished
3/12/11 - Added an Example game using AP build.
3/20/11 - Added AP Jungle into guide. Working on AD.
3/21/11 - Changed name to "Quadfold Path" instead of "Twofold Path". It sounds better and fits me having 4 builds for her.