Build Guide by pandaXtime
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Welcome to my guide for Karma. In this guild I will explain how to play Karma as a support champion. The build I use focuses on AP, CDR, and a touch of survivability. The AP and CDR boost Karma's ability as a support class, while the armor and hp boosts her ability to take a couple hits now and than.
Even in her youth, Karma exhibited almost superhuman composure. While her peers explored the torrent of emotions that came with adolescence, Karma meditated in the Lotus Gardens. She was convinced that the true path to enlightenment was a journey inward, to a place within the self, overlooked by most. She exuded such inner contentment that she quickly became a go-to mediator and confidante in her village. Her instructors used to say: ''That girl can not only weather a storm, but calm it.'' Karma did not live extravagantly; her parents owned a local business selling antiques in the Navori province and they often struggled to provide for themselves, though they did so with cheery optimism. Her most prized possessions were two exquisite fans taken from her family's shop.
When Noxian troops invaded southern Ionia, her village was one of the first to fall. The villages who survived the assault were captured by Noxian forces. It was then that Karma found her calling. By exploiting the insecurities of the Noxian commander, she negotiated the safe release of the villages to the northern lands. She was present at the Placidium, where the Elders had considered surrender until Irelia's impassioned last stand renewed the Ionian's hope. Karma used this hope to solidify the Elders' commitment to remain defiant against the Noxian onslaught. For her devotion and charisma, Karma was made the figurehead of the Ionian resistance. She never compromised, and she shared every hardship with her people, even when it came to combat. By tapping into her inner resilience, she discovered that she could bring great force to bear against her foes on the battlefield. She modified her fans into lethal implements, and was tutored by Janna to enhance their effects. The Noxians called her, ''The Enlightened One,'' a nickname she embraced, and one which they would come to dread. She joined the League to represent Ionia in the ultimate political arena.
''Her fan technique is a deadly art of grace and poise, but her truest strength lies in the hearts of those willing to die alongside her.''
I choose to use magic pen marks, because even though you are a support class, it is nice to deal a little damage early game. Seals and Glyphs are AP for additional support early game, mana regen seals are viable if you have trouble with mana early game. For Quints I choose CDR, because I personally feel that taking Ionian boots of Lucidity is a waste, because there are better boots for you to choose from.
Masteries are up to you. I personally run with a 9/0/21 build because it works best for me. However, this may not work best for you. Play around with your masteries a bit and find what works for you. If you are having trouble staying alive then go 0/21/9 or 9/21/0, however this is probably because you are playing far too aggressive with a support class champ. The same goes for a 21/0/9 or 21/9/0 build, you are playing too aggressive imo.
I choose to bring Clarity and Teleport, because I am playing a support champion. Clarity helps me with constantly casting early game, which helps gain the max mana from Tear of the Goddess ASAP. While Teleport helps me get to team fights ASAP. This are not a must but just what I enjoy using most.
All of Karma's skills are quite useful, however some are more useful that others. The choice of when to pick skills really depends if you are solo top, mid, or laning with someone. When I am solo top or mid, I usually choose Soul Shield first. This helps you lane longer, as well as deal some dps with mantra. *Remember that by using mantra and casting Soul Shield on a minion/player it will cause the AoE damage where the minion/player was standing. Which makes this an awesome nuking/protective skill to start with.* However if I am laning with someone, I will pick up Heavenly Wave or Spirit Bond first. Heavenly Wave gives you a decent heal to start, while allowing you to do minor AoE damage. *If you are using Heavenly Wave as a heal, remember that you must point your skill in the direction you wish to heal. It is not an AoE heal, it is a directional AoE heal.* Spirit bond is a decent first skill if you want the early first blood. Slowing or speeding up your laning partner is a nice way to get that first blood, but remember be careful of the TURRET!
Once you have your first skill, I usually try to max Soul Shield first, than Heavenly Wave, followed by Spirit Bond. However since you don't have an ult to max, put a point into Spirit Bond as if it were your ult. Spirit Bond is a helpful skill if used properly, however it does rely on your teammates knowing how to use it as well, which makes it kinda fail in solo matches.
In my skill sequence at the top, I did show alternating between both Soul Shield and Heavenly Wave. This is helpful if you are unsure of how you want to max your skills, and since Karma is still very new, I suggest playing a few games with that skill sequence to learn how her skills work as they are leveled.
Now what everyone wanted, items.
1. Meki Pendant - +7 Mana regen per 5 sec *This is useful in keeping mana up early game*
2. Health Potions - grab 2 of these at the start of the game. Helpful in longer laning, because, Heavenly Wave is not a substantial heal early or even mid game.
3. Tear of the Goddess - +350 Mana +7 Mana Regen per 5 sec UNIQUE Passive: Each time your Champion uses an Ability their Maximum Mana will increase by 4 Mana, up to a maximum of twice in a six second period; bonuses cap at +1000 Mana. *This item is the reason why I do not use mana regen runes. Get it early and start casting to build up your mana ASAP.*
4. Boots of Speed - Obviously a must. *Try to get these when you go back for Tear of the Goddess, however it is not a must to get then*
5. Needlessly Large Rod - +80 Ability Power. *Nice to get at the start of mid game, very useful imo. If you didn't get Boots of Speed with Tear of the Goddess, now is the time that you must get them.*
6. Mercury's Treads - +25 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2 Reduces the duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, snares, sleeps, and immobilizes by 35%. * I like to have the CC reduction, but not a must. Really just a personal choice, but be sure to understand what the enemy team can do, and build boots accordingly.*
7. Rabadon's Deathcap - +155 Ability Power UNIQUE Passive: Increases Ability Power by 30%. * now is when you really shine. Your heals from Heavenly Wave actually help, and your shield from Soul Shield will actually save lives!*
8. Frozen Heart - +99 Armor +500 Mana UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 25% and reduces the attack speed of nearby enemies by 20%. * This item isn't a must, but let me be perfectly clear, IT HELPS! 99 armor and 25% CDR is what makes this item worth while. However, I say it isn't a must, because if your are facing a team that doesn't have much physical damage, this item isn't your best choice.*
9/10. Zhonya's Hourglass - +100 Ability Power +50 Armor UNIQUE Active: Places your champion into Stasis for 2 seconds, rendering you invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any actions. 90 second cooldown. * A very helpful item 100 AP, 50 armor, and invulnerable for 2 seconds, need I say more. Get this item either before or after Abyssal Scepter.
9/10. Abyssal Scepter - +70 Ability Power +57 Magic Resistance UNIQUE Aura: Reduces the Magic Resist of nearby enemy champions by 20. * Great item, must have for late game *
11. Archangel's Staff - +400 Mana +25 Mana Regen per 5 sec +45 Ability Power Passive: 3% of your Max Mana is converted to Ability Power. UNIQUE Passive: Each time your Champion uses an Ability their Maximum Mana will increase by 4 Mana. This effect has a 3 second cooldown. Bonus caps at 1000 mana. * This really just makes your Tear of the Goddess more useful in late game.*
How to play her
Karma is not the best early game champion, however she can hold her own. Just do not play overly aggressive and you will be okay. Make sure you last hit minions! Karma isn't there for player kills, shes there for assists, so farm minions as much as you can to maximize your gold income. If you have trouble last hitting minions, find a different champion.
SUPPORT YOUR TEAM! Team fights will start taking place, and you are the game changer! Run to team fights, mantra + shield whoever they are ganking, and cast Spirit Bond on an enemy in position to maximize the damage from those dumb enough to walk through this deadly bond. Save your second mantra till you must use it. Do not use both mantras at the start of a team first, just a waste. Use teleport to get to towers that are about to be mobed by enemy minions, or teleport to a friendly mob of minions and take down a tower! If played right you will stack up the assists and be on your way to end game!
Pretty much like mid game, except you can go for kills now. Still support your team, but you can hold your own. Remember you are still the game changer so if you want to run around solo and die, your team may lose out on your precious buffs! Play smart and you will win, play dumb and you better hope your team can carry your feeding!
In summary, if you do not want to be a support, do not play Karma. Karma is there to support your team, so use her in that way. Don't rush for kills and feed, she isn't a tank. Play smart and all will be great.
This is my first build/guide so if you see anything that needs work let me know. Thanks for reading!
You can vote without comment, but the feed back would help me improve this guild greatly. Thanks.