Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I am making this guide because Morde is one of my favorite champions (along with Blitz, Ezreal, and Nidalee). The reason I believe morde to be such a good tank, is his early game harassment, farming capabilities, and the soul he gets from his ultimate. Since I bought him, I have won every game (about 8 games), one was 68 mins long, another was 4v5. During one game, I had 5k hp, mid 300s in hp regen/5, and around 180 armor/mr.
IGNITE: Works perfectly with your ultimate to almost ensure the target dies.
CLEANSE: You are a tank and you can dish out decent aoe damage, so its good not to be stunned.
MARKS: I did not add any marks for the reason that its up to you. I have crit damage ones because im poor, but you could get MR ones if casters scare you.
SEALS: I highly suggest DODGE runes for these. It will work perfectly with your defense mastery, and in team fights, there is a good chance you will have nimbleness up for a good majority of it, allowing you to catch enemies.
GLYPHS: I prefer cd reduction, and suggest it, because with my item build you will not be getting much cd reduction, if any. Flat cd or per level cd doesnt matter, its just preference.
1. Boots (look below)
2. Frozen Mallet
* Phantom Dancer
* A second Warmonger
* Force of Nature
* Spirit Visage
* Warden's Mail
The ones that I starred (*) are optional after you get the essentials.
I also dont suggest Leviathan, because its only good at 20 stacks.
BOOTS: Ninja or Mercs are what I suggest. If they have a whole bunch of casters or stuns/slows, get the mercs. If they dont have many stuns/slows, and they are mostly DPS, pick up the ninja for the extra armor, and the dodge.
Hard to kill.
Great early game harasser.
Amazing at farming.
Can buff teammates.
His ultimate is as good as gaining another teammate for 30 seconds.
Has a shield before health.
Goes very well with listening to metal music as you play. \m/
Uses his HP as mana, which I personally like, others may not.
Early Game 1-6:
Start off by getting regrowth pendant. This will give you 14hp/5 which is important because you want to stay in your lane for as long as you can and your skills will be using your health. Use Siphon of Destruction (E) when a new wave of minions come, I aim for the caster minions in the back. Also use (E) to last hit minions. Once you get Mace of Spades (Q), hit the casters with (E) followed by (Q) and you should be able to get them down to atleast 50%. Keep using your abilities to farm, but if you get down to about 40% hp, I suggest you stop for a bit and regen some hp. You can also use Siphon of Destruction (E) to harass enemy champions, and if you are getting hit by enemy champions, try to hit them and the minions with Siphon of Destruction (E) to boost your shield. Although this will use up some hp, it will give you more shield than the hp lost (if you hit enough enemies) and thus, you will have a better chance of survival and retain more hp.
So, now you have your ultimate. If you see an enemy at about 30% hp, go for the kill, nail them with a Siphon of Destruction (E), Mace of Spaces (Q) (If distance permits, you could also strike a unit near the enemy and hope it bounces to the champion), then Children of the Grave (R), and Ignite (D on my order). This should kill them, and hold alt to control your new pal.
(Kill sequence: (E), (Q), (R), (IGNITE) )
*Also note, Times to use Creeping Death (W):
1. If you are going to be taking hits, throw on your Creeping Death (W) before going into the fight.
2. Your teammate is going to be taking hits.
3. Your teammate is running away with low HP.
4. A global is being used, throw it on a teammate, because you have a shield to absorb the damage. (EX: You have half shields and Karth decides to ulti your team, throw it on the guy in your lane and use Siphon of Destruction on minions to fill up your shield).
Anyway, by around level 6-8, you should be able to afford boots and phange. If you dont have enough for both, here is the priority order: Boots of Speed, Phange, Upgraded boots. The only time i would not go by this order, is if you are getting stunned really hard, which then get your mercs above all else.
Keep going about the game, farming as much as you can helping your teammates in team fights whenever possible. During these team fights, make sure you ulti and ignite an enemy with little hp on their team, preferably a ranged champion so that you can slow them from a range (phange). Also, during mid game you will be extremely strong due to your amazing shield, and the fact that you have Creeping Death which charges your shield with its aoe, and increases your MR and armor by a good amount.
When you get the money, get your Frozen Mallet. This is essential to Mordekaiser as he has no slows or stuns, and it works with his soul that he gets with his ultimate. After this start working on your Warmongers.
Late Game 12-18:
Kind of the same deal as I have already discussed, your soul from your ultimate will be one of the most important things you bring to the table as it is extremely strong and will now be slowing enemies. It works very well at killing enemies hiding behind towers, and tanking towers.
As for items, ill discuss the optional items after the necessities.
* Phantom Dancer - Allows you to move faster, but the main reason we get it is for the Dodge. If they have an incredible amount of dps that mainly use melee attacks, or they have a gang plank that is wrecking you, I would suggest this.
* A second Warmonger - Gives you incredible health and hp regen. Get this if damage is not a problem and would just like to last longer.
* Force of Nature - Magic resist and regen. This has a unique passive, so do not get two. Get this if they have casters or you have an ungodly amount of hp.
* Spirit Visage - MR and healing regen bonus. Although this got nerfed it is still amazing. If you have a warmongers and force of nature, this is not a bad choice to get, because you can get amazing hp regen. The deal breaker with this is, if you have a healer DEFINITELY GET THIS. This works great with an Ezreal, Taric, Soraka, Alistar, ect.
* Warden's Mail - Armor and slowing effects. If for some reason the enemy team is stupid and focus fires you, and has lots of dps, get this. In high ELO i dont suggest this.
THE RYLAI'S SCEPTER AND THE NEW GUISE DO WORK WITH MORDEKAISER!
The good stuff...music! Here are some bands that I enjoy listening to while playing League of Legends, especially when i am using Mordekaiser.
Lamb of God
Kingdom of Sorrow
Children of Bodom
As I Lay Dying
All That Remains
August Burns Red
Bring me the Horizon
Bury Your Dead
Cult of Luna
Bullet for my Valentine
Haste the Day
High on Fire
My Dying Bride
Queens of the Stone Age
Six Feet Under
System of a Down
The Devil Wears Prada
Thine Eyes Bleed
Three Days Grace
Wolves in the Throne Room
More suggestions of songs are nice, if people like the band suggestions, I will perhaps make a new guide with just music for League of Legends, and will expand it from more than just Metal and heavy kind of music. Perhaps some techno or slower songs.
Anyway, please rate and comment, positive feedback is much appreciated.