Draven Build Guide by Moshnosti
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
* Above all, it is important to remember that while mastering use and catching of Spinning Axe in conjunction with Blood Rush is key to maximizing Draven's damage output, he will still deal carry damage without these skills available. Positioning is the most important goal for any Draven player.
* Spinning Axe will fall differently depending on Draven's movements right before it hits.
o If Draven stands still, Spinning Axe will fall directly on top of him or to his immediate left or right.
+ This effect can most easily be achieved by pressing 'S' on your keyboard after attacking, which will cause your Champion to stop all current actions and prevent him from starting new ones, making him stand still.
+ This is the easiest way to make use of Spinning Axe during a teamfight, though positioning is still priority.
o If moving, Spinning Axe will lead ahead of Draven's selected direction.
+ Be prepared to compensate your movements in order to catch your Spinning Axe, as this effect will not always be perfectly in sync with your movement speed.
+ During the laning phase, you can direct your Spinning Axe to safe locations by retreating after each throw.
* Much like any other global or long range ability, Draven's Whirling Death can be used to secure kills, steal objectives such as Dragon, and clear large creep waves when available, all within safety.
o Remember that Whirling Death will begin returning to Draven the moment it strikes an enemy champion, including unintended targets.
o With timing and practice, you can cause Whirling Death to quickly strike an enemy twice in succession by recasting the spell after having thrown it. This will help prevent your enemy from dodging the return portion and the additional damage.
* Wicked Blades is a stacking passive, meaning that every single Spinning Axe or critical strike will apply the full damage over the given duration regardless if the target is already under the effects of Wicked Blades. This makes encounters with Draven battles of attrition.
* Draven's Stand Aside has multiple uses - from setting up a chase on an enemy, preventing a chase against you, denying ganks, and causing overall disruption to enemy targets.
o Due to the 'knockback' applied to enemies hit by Stand Aside, it can and will cancel enemy channeled spells such as Malzahar's Nether Grasp, Katarina's Death Lotus, and Warwick's Infinite Duress. It will cancel Fiddlesticks's Crowstorm if he is hit while channeling. It can also cancel some gap-closing skills like Leona's Zenith Blade and Lee Sin's Resonating Strike. It can also stop Fiora's Blade Waltz if thrown directly into it. It can break Teemo's Camouflage.
* Blood Rush has many flexible applications both in and out of combat that allow Draven to make use of it in a variety of ways, along with being a simple movement and attack speed steroid.
o Blood Rush's primary purpose is as a chasing tool. By leading and catching Spinning Axe and continually refreshing Blood Rush's movement and attack speed bonuses, you can easily overpower and catch up to your targets.
+ Bounce, lead, and catch Spinning Axe off of minions or neutral creeps when chasing out of range targets in order to refresh Blood Rush.
+ To quickly close a gap on a target, activate Blood Rush within a moment before catching Spinning Axe. This will give you the movement speed bonus from the first activation, and will make Blood Rush available again for another immediately.
o Blood Rush can be used to help catch your Spinning Axes as they fall, or, alternatively, it can be used in order to strike enemy Champions with Spinning Axe for harassment.
o Using Blood Rush can help you return to lane quicker if needed. With Crest of the Ancient Golem, this can be spammed infinitely without worry.
o Quickly striking engaging enemies with Spinning Axe and catching the ricochet during an escape scenario can allow you to refresh Blood Rush constantly in order to avoid a direct engagement by kiting and possibly turn the tide of battle.
+ Care must be taken not to enter range of Champions with targetable gap closers, such as Irelia's Bladesurge or Jax's Leap Strike, as this may easily get you killed.
* Stay wary of enemy turrets if you have struck a Champion near the range of one. Spinning Axe will always apply Wicked Blades for four seconds, as well as critical strikes. This means moving into turret range as the damage ticks will cause it to immediately target you.
* Spinning Axe will deactivate if Draven has not attacked an enemy after a certain amount of time (Approximately 6 seconds). However, this will be refreshed if Draven attacks a turret or inhibitor, though you will not be granted the extra damage.
o It will also refresh if you reactivate Spinning Axe, even if you have both axes active already.
* Draven can be deceptively powerful at melee range, as his Spinning Axe will ricochet to him more often, giving him the extra damage from it, as well as easy activation of his Blood Rush, maximizing damage potential.
o If everything goes wrong, Draven can still use Stand Aside and Blood Rush to escape.
* Draven can easily and quickly take down objectives with use of his steroid abilities, Spinning Axe and Blood Rush.
o Against Baron Nashor and Dragon, use a single Spinning Axe to apply extra damage, and catch it in order to continually refresh the use of Blood Rush for its potent attack speed steroid.
o Bounce Spinning Axe off of nearby minions to refresh Blood Rush every three seconds while sieging turrets to help destroy them quicker.
* Draven is limited to two Spinning Axes at a time. However, if you throw one axe while doing so, and activate Spinning Axe again after the attack, you will have three axes, allowing you to 'juggle' them. If Draven catches all three axes without throwing them, it will immediately revert to two axes, with the third axe disappearing.