Renekton Build Guide by Lectric Pal
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This guide is about to get a massive over haul in the next few days, I have learned a lot since I made this first guide, as well as played many more games with Renekton. So please sit back and enjoy the improvements. Also, thank you to everyone that supported my guide, I'm glad so many of you liked and use my guide! One more thing I would like to point out is this, SEND ME SCREEN SHOTS OF YOUR GAMES WITH MY BUILD! I want to put a section for it ! Please and thank you ! :)
Welcome to my in-depth guide to one of the funniest champions to ever enter the League of Legends roster Renekton, the Butcher of the Sands.
Renekton was the first champion to ever utilize the "Rage system" in other words, he is a cool down champion. What we know about cool down champions is this, they don't have mana which is great for laning, but with Renekton it gets better. There is an interesting bonus to the rage system, unlike Garen, Katarina, or Riven just having no mana, as Renekton attacks he gains rage which will appear as a grey bar under his health bar. Each attack will bring this bar up higher and higher (Abilities raise it also). This bar however is cut in half right down the middle, once Renekton's rage is filled to this line, it will turn red, and Renekton becomes Enraged. While enraged all of his abilities do extra damage, and have special bonus traits. It is definitely a great innovation to the game, and brought a new style to the game known as Renekton.
As of 04/12/2011, Renekton under went a drastic change to not only his abilities but his actually game play as well. To many people built him as a pure tank, and I mean sure it could work but the thing is you are actually more useful to your team if you build Dps with a little beef to it. So riot wants a tanky dps champion? Well dang nabbit here's your tanky dps Renekton!
Cull the Meek
Heal reduced to 5% from 7.5%
Fury heal reduced to 10% from 15%
Slice and Dice
Damage reduced to 30/60/90/120/150 from 45/75/105/135/165
Attack damage ratio increased to .9 from .6
Cooldown adjusted to 18/17/16/15/14 from 20/18/16/14/12
Damage reduced to 40/70/100 from 50/75/100
- The Tale of two brothers
- The Many roles and rules of Renekton
- The many risks and benefits to playing this lizard
- The importance of his pregame and how to build it properly
- What each of his individual skills do along with what they can be used for
- Which summoner spells to take/avoid and why
- An understanding of Renekton's core item build in game and each items importance
- How to use and abuse the "Rage System"
- An in-depth break down of all sections of the game (Early/Mid/Late)
Renekton should be playing in my opinion as an "In and Out" champion, just like an assassin would be played, attempting to harass them and smash them when able. Relying on his abilities to hold his lane for a long period of time, farm an insane number of minion kills and do amazing when it comes to his K/D.
On a faraway world, Renekton was born a member of a race of bestial guardians created to serve as the rulers and protectors of their people. Alongside his brother Nasus, Renekton oversaw the upkeep of the Great Library, which served as both a vault of ancient knowledge and the repository of the teachings of the Cycle of Life and Death. While the enlightened Nasus taught those scholars who came to study, Renekton served as the Great Library's gatekeeper. He could sense the true natures of those who sought Nasus' teachings, and he sent away those with dark ambitions. Over time, however, his repeated exposure to this evil infected his mind. He grew furious with the malevolence in the hearts of men, and as he descended deeper into madness, he discovered he could quell the fury by cutting the evil from the men who possessed it. Unfortunately, the relief was as short-lived as the subjects, and the ''butcher's rage'', as it came to be known, would resurge even stronger.
Consumed by his anger, Renekton turned on the one being who could defeat him -- his own brother. Nasus pleaded with Renekton to see reason. Realizing that he was beyond redemption, the despondent Nasus valiantly struck down his wayward sibling. Defenseless, Renekton waited eagerly for death's release. It never came. He was spared when summoners from the League of Legends claimed his brother. Caught in the wake of this powerful spell, Renekton tumbled for what seemed like ages between realities. When he finally emerged, he fell deep into the sewers of Zaun. Insane with fury, Renekton languished in his newfound home, driven senseless by his rage. That is until, by happenstance, he caught a familiar scent on the air. Believing that the familiar scent would guide him to the solace which was fading from his memory, he traced his brother to the Institute of War.
''My brother has become hollow. Full of rage, but empty.'' -- Nasus, the Curator of the Sands.
Pros / Cons
+ Great sustain and presence in lane
+ High damage out put
+ His ultimate grants a steroid for 15secs
+ Ultimate is an AoE "Tank Eater"
+ Relies solely on cool downs
+ Huge presence in team fights
- If not fed or farmed it can be difficult to finish enemies
- Can be difficult to time your "Furious" moves
- His dash isn't reliable for going threw walls
- Short range on his stun
- Doesn't do THAT much damage at the start
- High cool downs at low levels
Something that is absolutely essential to playing a LoL champion is which summoner spells you will take. They are auxiliary spells that you can use every now and then on a large cool down that are capable of doing many thing. Some are used to secure kills, chase enemies down, make grand escapes or do multiple things at once. There are two summoner spells used more than ANY in the game. These would be Flash & Ghost. They can be used for countless instances, as well as often save your life. The problem is picking between these, do you pick ghost or flash? Well I'll leave that up to you, below I will explain what each spell does and certain scenarios it can be used for.
Flash vs Ghost
Teleports your Champion to your mouse cursor. 475 range.
Flash brings a lot to the table as a summoner spell, I would honestly recommend it for many champions. Being able to teleport a short distance can have many possibilities, many of which will benefit Renekton greatly. There are a large amount of opportunities to use this move as Renekton;
- Being able to flash in and last hit an enemy champion by their turret
- Alternately being able to run into turret fire, kill the enemy, then flash out of range of the turret
- When someone tries to gank your lane you can flash back to your tower
- When running up river and the enemy team comes charging at you, flash over the wall and run
- Slice into dragon, steal it, then flash over the wall
- Getting to lane faster (WASTE!!)
- Can be a great initiator of a team fight, the enemy wont expect you to be beside them INSTANTLY
In the end, Flash is amazing when used on Ren, it is my personal spell of choice. It has gotten me first blood, and assisted my escape from becoming first blood on many occasions. Give it a go, this spell is fantastic!
Your champion ignores unit collision and moves 27% faster for 10 seconds.
Just like flash, Ghost has a rather large variety of possibilities, mind you not as may as flash but still a great spell. Being able to run fast for a period of time, opposed to only blinking then not moving faster at all, like I said it's all personal taste and opinions. With Ren, the movement speed is just nuts when paired with the Ghost blade! You will be able to do such things as;
- Once the first fight of the game begins, you can use ghost to keep up with the enemy when they flash possibly gaining you first blood
- If you notice that you aren't going to survive you can use the boost in speed to hall *** outta there
- When running to protect a tower or a team mate it can get you there much quicker
- Can be useful for catching up to your team if you died to quick in the last team fight
Maybe there aren't as many uses for ghost, but they few it has, it masters. The fact that the boost lasts for quite some time, it can be amazing when used on Renekton! Please try this spell before you just pick Flash. And let me know in the comments which you prefer!
One of the most important and often difficult tasks to do before even clicking the "Play" button up there is to figure out what runes you will use. Maybe you don't know much about this champion, so your concern is "What runes do I get for a champion I don't know?!". The best advice I can give you is this, think about what kind of champion it is that your playing. The most simple break down would be between AP and AD champions. The generic marks for AP would be Greater Mark of Ability Power & Greater Mark of Magic Penetration, where as AD would be Greater Mark of Attack Damage & greater mark of desolation. For Renekton I chose to go with a slightly tankier page considering we will be building him under the pretext of "Tanky Dps" anyways.
- Greater Mark of Desolation - These give Ren his armor pen for the early levels, you will actually be doing almost true damage to most squishy champions. Great for any stage of the game.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage - These will give you roughly 10 AD at level one, meaning some nice extra damage. Great for early game and possibly mid game if your fed.
- Greater Mark of Critical Chance - Add a great deal of crit chance to your champion, but these would only work if you were building right click Ren. Great for late and mid game.
- Greater Mark of Cooldown Reduction - Cdr is a great addition to any Renekton build, but they don't add THAT much. Great for early game.
- Greater Seal of Vitality - These seals will add a very small amount of HP at level one, but with each level Renekton gains in game, the health bonus goes up higher and higher, when eventually you gain an additional 175 hp which means more AD because of your Atma's Impaler. Great for any champion from about level 6 and on.
- Greater Seal of Armor - These will great 13 extra armor at level one, which is enough to with stand virtually any encounter at low levels. Great for early and mid.
- Greater Seal of Evasion - Dodge is an iffy topic for me, personally I'm not a fan but I've had my attack dodged by the enemy and missed my fair amount of kills. You will gain quite a bit of dodge from this, plus you have the masteries
you will dodge quite often. Great for all stages of the game.
- Greater Seal of Vigor - Heath regen! These are fantastic for the laning phase! You almost can't be harassed when you start to regen hp. It is a great rune for Ren due to the fact that he can already heal him self with his Cull the Meek. Great for Early game.
- Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction - As I stated before CDR is amazing on Renekton, because it allows you to do a few things, dish out more damage, harass more often, farm faster.. its just a flawless addition to him. Great for all stages of the game.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction - These would be the CDR per level, meaning a low amount at level one, but a MUCH greater amount then the Focus runes at level 18, actually it doubles the amount of CDR. Great from level 6 and on.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist - Flat magic resist can help when fighting those pesky mages early on. They aren't that good on Renekton but they are definitely worth the mention. Great for early and mid game.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - Magic resist per level.. the amount of MR these add at level 18 is just awesome! But again, CDR is more important in my eyes.. Great from level 6 and on.
- Greater Quintessence of Health - So to put it simply these are my favourite possible quints on Ren. These add about 78 hp at level one, which puts you at a huge advantage. Great for early and mid game.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage - Adds a great deal of damage, but they fall off after about 15 minutes. Great for early game.
- Greater Quintessence of Desolation - Adds a massive amount of armor pen to your build. With these and the marks you will break through 31 armor which is true damage to 90% of champions at level 1. Great for all stages of the game.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed - Another of my favourites, these babies add movement speed, which is another huge advantage for escapes, chases, and even just harassing. They do cost A LOT to buy but they are really worth it! Great for all stages of the game.
For masteries I went 9/21/0, even though I said he isn't a tank, he still needs to be able to withstand some hits for his ultimate, so the defense masteries suit him. As for offence I got the armor penetration skill and took it right away, mostly because he does have some issue with damage.
Ionian Boots of Lucidity - For Cooldown reduction so you can spam your skills
Sunfire Cape - For a few reasons, it helps you deal extra DPS, it works flawlessly with your ult and gives you added health for survivability.
The Black Cleaver - Here comes an item that leads to massive damage out put for Renekton. Seeing as how with Renekton you will often find yourself auto attacking, so as long as you hit them at least 3 times their armor isn't penetrated but reduced!
Last Whisper - Here comes even more damage output for this giant lizard! So think about this, your Black Cleaver and the armor reduction, this will penetrate the remaining armor they have.. and your damage will sky rocket.
Force Of Nature - Here's something I just added, thanks to the comments below, I added this item in for survivability. This item has saved me countless times I am really really thank full to the input guys!!! :D
The Bloodthirster - This move generates a lot of Renekton's damage, because when this move is a full stacks it add's 100 to attack damage, and the lifesteal for good measure.
Obviously in order to start a fight you need fury, or even just to harass you still need some fury built up. Personally I would say a good way to initiate a fight would be to in, smash them with , stun them with , then to disengage from the fight. This sequence is more based on harassment.
Now when it comes to nuking someone or jumping into a team fight basically follow the same pattern only start your skill sequence off with for maximum damage out put.
When it comes to a team fight, Renekton is the type of champion that should jump right in and just pick a target and smash it till they die, but be careful.. because that doesn't always work. The main thing about team fights is getting the enemy team to about half health, then the fun begins, once the other team is low, let your team unleash hell on them and there ya go you just whipped their whole team and maybe even scored and ace!
So the main problem is getting them to that point in their health bar, well few people can do this as easily as Renekton, when you pop while is on, your AoE damage is tremendous! You can just run beside people as their health inches closer and closer to the point where they will just instantly die from one attack combo. You can also throw in a for added AoE damage!
I understand this build is short, but as me and my friend test this build more, we will update the build, change things around, and eventually we hope to add videos of this build in action.
Just always remember Renekton is an amazing character once you know what the hell your doing!