Shen Build Guide by Lerziee
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Hello, this is my first build so feel free to leave tips, suggestions etc. I will try to update this build when I know better ways to play shen.
Shen is mostly played as a tank, that's also how I play him. His sustain in lane is amazing due to 2 things, his passive Ki Strike and Vorpal Blade. Ki Strike Lowers the cooldown on each skill, and giving him energy back. Vorpal Blade Gives him health back.
He is also very usefull in saving teammates, due to his ultimate Stand United. With this skill u can teleport to an allie champion anywhere on the map, giving them a damage shield. When u are done teleporting u can use ur taunt, Shadow Dash to make the enemy champion's attack you.
I hope you find this build usefull, so enjoy!
Pros / Cons
+ Very good in ganking
+ Has very usefull skills to support allies
+ Fully master taunt = Victory
+ Amazing survivability
+ Can pop up everywhere on the map fast and easy
- Low damage
- When U build as tank, Feint doesnt absorb much damage
I take Ghost and Teleport as my summoner spells.
Ghost - Gives me a great escaping ability. I choose this above Flash because its mostly enough to get away cause ur the tank and ur Shadow Dash is also a great escaping ability, like dashing through walls!
Teleport - The reason I take teleport is because you want to be able to help anywhere on the map. Lets say u just ulted bot but the enemy's are taking ur top tower, Only Teleport will get you there in a few seconds. The more towers there are on your side, the more control you have over the enemy!
For my masteries I take 1 in Offense, 21 in Defense, and 8 in Utility.
Summoner's Wrath - It makes your ghost a lot more usefull, due to the 35% increase movement speed on top of ghost.
Resistance - Stacking up Magic Resist is always a good thing to do.
Hardiness - Same goes for armor.
Vigor - I choose this above Durability because I think that the health regen is gonna help u out more then the 108 health at level 18.
Indomitable - Reducing damage as much as possible, so your survivability increases in teamfights.
Veteran's Scars - It gives you 30+ Health, usefull for the early game.
Evasion - Same reason as Indomitable
Enlightenment - I think that 8% cooldown reduction from only masteries is really a lot. So you should definently take it, so you can use Shadow Dash and Feint a lot more times in teamfights.
Honor Guard - I take this because reducing damage is always a good thing and I think that Mercenary is not really usefull.
Juggernaut - Increases your health by 3%, very handy for a tank dont you think?! Also, the duration of disables is decreased by 10%, which is not bad at all.
Good Hands - I choose this over Summoner's Insight and Improved Recall because I feel that the 1 second is not gonna make a big difference. And the earlier you are alive again, the more teammates you can save with Stand United
Expanded Mind - I found myself having to low energy to be able to use Shadow Dash more then 1 time in a teamfight. So with this you have a little more energy :]
Swiftness - Shen is a pretty slow-based champion, so you want to get the maximum movement speed possible.
Greater Mark of Armor - For the extra armor
Greater Seal of Regeneration - The health regen comes in handy in the laning fase!
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - Because having flat Magic resist runes is not very usefull, because mages cant do a lot of damage early game.
Greater Quintessence of Health - Well, ur a tank, so its nice to have more health.
Greater Mark of Vitality - Getting more health is always a good thing.
Greater Seal of Armor - Nice to have some extra armor
Greater Glyph of Energy - Very handy to have some extra energy!
Greater Quintessence of Magic Penetration - Because all your abilities are based on Magic damage.
The so called "Cheat sheet" at the top of the page is incorrect about the damage. It isn't counting the 2% extra damage based on your health from Atma's Impaler
- You start with a Ruby Crystal, I prefer this above Doran's Shield because due to your Runes and Masteries you already have some armor and health regen. And this will you give you your Heart of Gold a lot earlier.
- You get your Heart of Gold next with your Boots of Speed and you will get a lot of extra gold because ur getting Randuin's Omen a bit late in to the game.
- Next you want to get some health with Giant's Belt and some Magic resist with Negatron Cloak. This is your choice though, if they have more Attack Damage dealers like Ashe, Graves, Tristana, etc. you might want to finish Sunfire Cape first due to the extra armor.
- You dont have a lot of health regen yet, so you want to get Force of Nature next. Its also a great item for more magic resist.
- Now you want to stack up more health by investing in a Giant's Belt and turning it into Warmog's Armor
- At this point in the game you've gotten a lot of passive gold with your Heart of Gold and want to turn this in to a Randuin's Omen, also a great item for the health regen and the extra armor!
- As your last item, you might want to some damage as you do literally nothing. This is up to you though. You might want to get some more magic resist, but its your choice. I like to buy Atma's Impaler because you bought a lot of health. As I said in the beginning, the so called "Cheat sheet" isnt showing the 2% damage. It says you have 115 Attack damage, but thats incorrect, the 2% from your health is equal to 76 Attack damage. So instead of 115, you have 115 + 76 = 191 Attack damage.
Again, this is how I like to play Shen you change the items to your liking!
// Deals magic damage based on your health and gets health back.
// Also very usefull in a team fight. When shen throws his Vorpal Blade to a enemy, he will become marked and the next champion who attacks that enemy gets 22 + 1.5% of shen's health back.
// Damage absorbing shield.
// At its max level, it will absorb the next 250 (+ 60% of shen's AP) damage
// Taunting enemies and taking reduced damage
// You can taunt people with this skill for 1.5 seconds, making them attack you and the physical damage by them is reduced by 50% when attacking you. Additionally, Shen gets 40 energy back from every champion he taunts. Which is very usefull because it has a 120 energy cost.
// Teleporting to an allie and giving them a damage shield.
// This is why Shen is so loved. His ability to save teammates. When activated, Shen will teleport to the selected allie and giving them an damage shield which will absorb the next 850 ( + 150% of Shen's AP) incoming damage when on max level.
Thanks for reading my guide, if you have any suggestions, tips, etc. please let me know in the comments.
I know its not the most in-depth guide, but its my first one. If you guys want to see more Chapters, please let me know.