Build Guide by Ernil
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Sona - The Maven of Strings
Ill try and go into detail as to why i picked that over this. First of all i welcome everyone to my first build. I decided to start doing builds to try and help out clan members who dont know how to properly build a champion to be viable from right off the start and all the way into late game. If there will be any questions regarding this later on - just leave a msg here or try to contact me in game and ill try and answer it the best way i can.
1. To start it off - skills
Hymn of Valor: Sona plays the Hymn of Valor, granting nearby allied champions bonus Damage and Ability Power. Additionally, casting this ability sends out bolts of sound, dealing magic damage to the nearest two enemy champions or monsters.
- Your alpha and omega early to late game. Early game and mid game this skill is what will define your late game basicly - to get kills or get assists its all aobut this one. As you see from my leveling up i focus primarly around this one early game. Its a 100% sure shoot when it comes to being reliable. It does decent dmg for a low mana cost and a low CD - the ability power ratio is a bit weak 0.6. The Passive is meeeh decent for the first few levels - useless later game. Also this ability loses its touch late game due to a lackluster AP ratio.
Aria of Perseverance: Sona plays the Aria of Perseverance, granting nearby allied champions bonus Armor and Magic Resist. Additionally, casting this ability sends out healing melodies, healing Sona and a nearby wounded ally.
- A wonderful heal - comparable to tarics. You dont have to target anything with it since well its a song - you cant realy aim that can you - It will always heal you and the person lowest next to you. Ap ratio is 0.6. Decent skill from early to late game including late game - will keep your team stable in a standoff at the tower.
Song of Celerity: Sona plays the Song of Celerity, granting nearby allied champions bonus Movement Speed. Additionally, casting this ability energizes nearby allies with a burst of speed.
- The absolutely useless ability till about level 9 - but after that you will fall in love with it. Speed thats right dominates a few aspects of this game, such as being chased or chasing, can control a team fight significantly. Thus leaving your side victorios if the enemy is without it. This skill REALY shines late game - since late game is where mobility maters the most.
Crescendo (Ultimate): Sona plays her ultimate chord, forcing enemy champions to dance, taking magic damage over time.
- This is suppose to be an ultimate skill - has a long cooldown for how useful it is. Incomparable to amumus ult when it comes to CC and incomparable to everyone other possible ultimate when it comes to damage. Its a skill shot, that has a line infront of the champion for the radios - Overral its usefull for early ganks - late game you mostly use it to survive or to just prolong some sort of CC on a carry. Ap ratio is 0.7
Power Chord (passive): After casting 3 spells, Sona's next attack deals bonus magic damage. Additionally, Sona's Auras persist for 3 seconds after deactivating and set off a 2 second global cooldown.
- A lovely passive if i may say so - will be usefull throughout the game - late to mid game it will offer a lovely damage increase to ganks or just plain harrass - or even minion kills.
I wont get in to real depth as to why i picked the most stable possible mastery build for a caster. Ill keep it short - utlity will give you extra mana regen with all sorts of goodies such as CD, mobility, extra gold, extra experiance and most of all more CD on your ghost/flash. Going into offense is basicly for one thing - Extra AP, CD and spell pen.
Ive kept runes quite simple aswell. The ones you must not switch by any means are the mana regen ones - Who would not want mana regen on such a drainy little champion as Sona ? Exactly its your godsend, so use it. When it comes to marks and quints you can change em for instance you could go for Ap per level on both instead for a better heal late game - or you could switch out quints for more health - meaning more survivability early game.
4. Summoner Spells
Right hmm how to keep this short - Ah right Sona - Squishiest champion in game - Ghost flash helps ! You could for instance use ignite maybe to get an early gank or two - but in the long run especialy mid/late game flash will save you from dying more than you think. So if possible stick to ghost flash - clairvoyance is nice - but not on a champion such as sona who needs survivability.
My itemization will work with my runes to have an awesome early to mid game - and a stable late game.
First of all start with a doran ring and a mana pot. You go back when you have 870 gold or if possible add another 90 to that to get an extra ward.
Once you go back buy 2 more doran rings - Why ? I mean is not obvious Sona has so many "staying alive" problems - Doran rings will give you 360 hp which is quite a lot for early game. also with 2 more doran rings you will have zero problems with mana. Those runes and 15 mp5 you get from the rings will keep you up the entire game. Meaning you can spam spells like a silly apple and still have enough mana to cast an ultie when needed.
Next time you go back you get boots. I myself go for mobility boots since i love having all the extra mobility on a slow champion. Press your E and your flying around the map. Of course if there are champions like amumu or galio you go for merc threads - ninja tabis if there is like 4 physical carries.
After that get a mejai soulstealer and an Aegis following that. Mejai is basicly just perfect for her since she is a support getting loads of assists. Youll normaly have it stacked to the max the entire time once you get used to the champion.
Boots of Mobility
Aegis of the Legion
This is how your itemization will look at, at about 30 min in game if not extremely fed. The doran rings will give you survavbility early game where as aegis will give it to you mid to late game.
Normaly the game ends at this point - youll be runnign around with about 200 or so AP being tanky - meaning youll actualy be able to do stuff. If by chance game continues after this you can get a Zhonya and Rylai/Lichbane after - Just keep selling the dorans for better items after that.
My build specializes on surviving and being as anoying as possible :P.
To be a useful Sona what you require is a decent team comp with a tank that can keep your alive and some strong carries to get those buggers down on the other side. Since late game your damage will be so insignificant that youl think your not actualy there but believe me you still are ! So in a Good team comp, sona can be godly - bad team comp sona is just horrible.
Prioritize on getting those minion kills over harrasing if there is another healer on the enemy side of the lane. If there is no healer you can zone more or less anyone early game with your strong harras hymn of valor. As to laning partners it doesnt realy matter, almost anything works with sona since she is just to strong early game. if id have to pick out some - try and get something with some sort of CC - Shen would be especialy great for instance.
You have probably went back and bought those doran rings and maybe some boots. At this point is where you dominate. The mana regen will keep your mana problems solved for the rest of the game so you can spam as much as you want. This is realy where she start shining. Try and earn as much money as possible so you can finish that mejai since here is when you start getting either kills or assists.
You have finished building your aegis and you just realized your quite tanky and have a decent amount of mobility due to your E spell. Stick with the team since thats where your usefull - Dont try to be a hero and gank alone since well ... youll fail. Try to stay in the back of the team fights and try to get those ulties on them carries, that way your ult will be usefull.
Thats all for now - ill try to keep this build updated with changes in skills or AP ratios etc.
PS: Picture was taken from the official league of legends website.